The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Another
I'm sorry. Does Islam revolve around her, or around Allah?

Hijab is not compulsory, wear what you want. Go out in a light maxi with a chiffon shirt, or something.

Yes it is

1 Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”[al-Noor 24:31]
Original post by champ_mc99
The OT tells you to cover your hair. There must have been Israelites back in the day that went through similar problems as OP (if the book is true ofc).

Original post by Anonymous
What does the bible say about Women dress code? From my understanding the bible was changed a couple of times and christian Women were required to cover their hair and dress modestly

Christians do not have to follow the Old Testament because the Old Testament was intended by God for Israelites before the coming of the Messiah. Christians believe that this Messiah was Jesus Christ. He replaced the rules of the Old Testament with this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and all your strength." and "Love your neighbour as yourself".
THEN STOP FOLLOWING ISLAM! This is the dumbest complaint ever, no one is forcing you to do anything. Tell your mom that she can go back to the Middle East if she wants to strictly follow Islam. She can't force you to wear clothing that you do not like. Grow a pair!!!
Original post by GUMI
1. Yeah, no one needs to follow them, so why does OP feel the need to make a thread on this. I am sure she knows she has every right to wear whatever she wants, the solution is right in front of her so why does she need to make this post?
2. Ok, it is fair to question social norms, but I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Islam is, to a certain degree at least, misogynistic. But I don't see how making a thread on TSR can change anything.
3. If you strip this thread down to it's core, it's just one person complaining that they have it unfair in life. The way OP stated her opinion sounded very arrogant.
"How is it fair that Muslim Men have it so easy ????" Yeah... what about racial profiling, because Muslim men just love waiting twice as long to get through security.
Everyone has struggles they face, it's a simple case of the grass being greener on the other side.

You don't have to be Arabic, to be a Muslim.
Reply 64
Yes it is

1 Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”[al-Noor 24:31]

So wtf are you complaining about? The will of the Gods won't change because of your whining. Follow it faithfully or convert out!
Just had a moment today I went for a walk and as usual I was wearing my Hijab (head covering) and a long top which covers my arms and I had two layers of clothing two tops and a long skirt. It was so hot and what pisses me off is how Muslim Men can just wear shorts and a top only and flip flops how the ****kkkkkkkkkkkkkkk is that fair ? I really want to enjoy the weather without being covered head to toe it's so hot.................How is it fair that Muslim Men have it so easy ????
It pissesssss me off, I saw some Muslim women in burqas like wth would you wear that???

Organised religion is concerned with obedience, not fairness. If you don't like it, I suggest that you choose another—or better yet, none at all.
Original post by Trapz99
Christians do not have to follow the Old Testament because the Old Testament was intended by God for Israelites before the coming of the Messiah. Christians believe that this Messiah was Jesus Christ. He replaced the rules of the Old Testament with this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and all your strength." and "Love your neighbour as yourself".

Yeah I know. I mentioned the Israelites.
Reply 67
Original post by GUMI
1. Yeah, no one needs to follow them, so why does OP feel the need to make a thread on this. I am sure she knows she has every right to wear whatever she wants, the solution is right in front of her so why does she need to make this post?
2. Ok, it is fair to question social norms, but I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that Islam is, to a certain degree at least, misogynistic. But I don't see how making a thread on TSR can change anything.
3. If you strip this thread down to it's core, it's just one person complaining that they have it unfair in life. The way OP stated her opinion sounded very arrogant.
"How is it fair that Muslim Men have it so easy ????" Yeah... what about racial profiling, because Muslim men just love waiting twice as long to get through security.
Everyone has struggles they face, it's a simple case of the grass being greener on the other side.

Leave the thread. Don't like OP making a thread about this? Don't click on it.

You have issues.
Yes it is

Allah's words to cover up were aimed at the Prophet's wives at a time when covering yourself was a means of protection. Nowadays sadly dressing in an "Islamic way" would not protect you but instead single you out!
All the Quran asks for is modesty which is pretty subjective. Its about dressing for only yourself and not trying to sell your looks to others. For me modesty is covering my legs and not having a neckline that exposes.... to much.
I dont think showing hair has the same connotations that it had at the time Islam came about, so I personally dont think covering it is necessary.
But hey ho do what you believe is right.
your just attention seeking
Reply 70
Men are required to wear the hijab first girl.
Since you HAVE to but you DON'T want to,u can just talk to ur parents about it.And my advice(you don't have to follow my advice)if they don't let u then its time to rebel bc tbh its ur own life.
Reply 72
Original post by inhuman
Leave the thread. Don't like OP making a thread about this? Don't click on it.

You have issues.

Now look who is attacking someone and belittling them just because they have a problem with something.
Yes it is

If it isn't compulsory, why do so many Muslim women go without?

Just reading the next by itself, I've come to a strikingly different conclusion than you. But muslim women I have spoken to, both hijabi and non hijabi, tell me that the hijab is optional.

As far as "modesty" goes, hair necks and faces aren't sexually attractive in the slightest.

Original post by inhuman
I am sure every Muslim girl that would want to do this, can, because it's not like none of them live in tightly knit communities were pressure (or worse) would be exerted :rolleyes:

I apologize for suggesting that the OP take care of their own lives. Maybe I should suggest that she lives in misery instead.
Original post by joebobby
THEN STOP FOLLOWING ISLAM! This is the dumbest complaint ever, no one is forcing you to do anything. Tell your mom that she can go back to the Middle East if she wants to strictly follow Islam. She can't force you to wear clothing that you do not like. Grow a pair!!!

This is the "dumbest" comment ever.

You dont just leave Islam. You cant simply just wake up and leave Islam one day because you've decided to "Grow a pair". There are so many factors you havent considered.

Once you've been indoctrinated into a belief, it takes a lot more than one verse or one idea to change your entire view on the world. It took me a good three years to go from a religious muslim to someone who describes themselves as an atheist.

In most cases leaving Islam means leaving ALL your family/friends. Its a choice between choosing your beliefs and therefore getting disowned by most people you love. A choice in which you need to be financially stable in case (highly likely from what ive seen) you become homeless. Do you know how many lives ive seen been ruined because they decided to leave Islam, students which have been forced to leave university because they cant afford it no more after being left alone by their families after leaving Islam.

Leaving Islam is a hard, long and unfortunately leads to a lot of problems with love ones.

Sincerely,
An Ex Muslim.
OP, I know that you said that your mum will be upset but you will never be truly happy unless you start living life for you. I'm not here to encourage you to leave Islam, as you have clearly stated that you do not want to but you can still be a Muslim while wearing what you want. If you keep living to please your mother, you will look back on your earlier years and feel that you were wasting your time; eventually the way you dress is going to get even more difficult, considering that you already have a problem with it.

I agree with the people who have advised you to wear light but modest clothing like maxi dresses with cardigans. If you don't wear a hijab while sticking to that dress code for at least a while, hopefully your mum will be more at ease.
No why should I I'm muslim and proud

Well then don't complain about having to cover up then.
Original post by 1010marina
Your religion is misogynistic and treats women like dirt. I'd recommend leaving behind an ideology that you do not agree with or find unfair.

#NoChill
Reply 78
Original post by GUMI
Now look who is attacking someone and belittling them just because they have a problem with something.

I spoke nothing but the truth.
Reply 79
Original post by Another

I apologize for suggesting that the OP take care of their own lives. Maybe I should suggest that she lives in misery instead.

And you completely fail to see the point. Again.

Latest