The Student Room Group

British schoolgirl who ran away to Syria with her two friends dies in airstrike.

Scroll to see replies

I'm in two minds about this. One on hand, I think; she knew they were beheading people, mass-killing civilians, spreading hatred and bigotry and enslaving entire groups of people. ISIS proudly admits it in their own propaganda. There are reports that apparently she had regretted it and wanted to escape, but what did she think it was going to be? A cake walk?

On the other hand, her father is an Islamic extremist. She was brainwashed as a child with religious beliefs that made her liable to believe their propaganda and particularly the pernicious victimhood narrative that is the first step down the path to becoming a terrorist. They probably told her this man was an ISIS fighter waiting to marry her

http://i2.asntown.net/h4/13/lifestyl...-Arabia-09.jpg

I can imagine in the atmosphere of Islamic sexual repression, feeling she was completely banned from any sexual or romantic involvement with any guy, that this was an outlet for that.

But ultimately, she was 16 when she went; she was well above the age of criminal responsibility, and that's what she was; she criminally travelled to support a genocidal group by being a comfort woman or wife to a murderer.

Of course, sections of the Islamic community are already claiming this is the government's fault. I can't work out whether they saying the government keeps too close an eye on them, or not close enough. I suppose it always depends on which is more convenient in that moment to support the victimhood narrative

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...revent-says-mp
Original post by eternalhinch
More than anything, this saddens me. She had a life to be grateful for but ended up, ultimately, travelling to her own death

I feel more sympathy for the Yazidi women and girls (loads younger than her) the gang she joined captured (after killing the men in their tribe) and made them become sex slaves to be continuously gang raped and sold, beaten to death or burnt to death in cages if they objected. I feel no sadness for this girl who chose to join the animals who did that.

For sadness to go to this girl before the Yazidis and the others this girl's gang killed, enslaved and tortured is plain wrong I'm afraid....
Original post by AlexanderHam
I'm in two minds about this. One on hand, I think; she knew they were beheading people, mass-killing civilians, spreading hatred and bigotry and enslaving entire groups of people. ISIS proudly admits it in their own propaganda. There are reports that apparently she had regretted it and wanted to escape, but what did she think it was going to be? A cake walk?

On the other hand, her father is an Islamic extremist. She was brainwashed as a child with religious beliefs that made her liable to believe their propaganda and particularly the pernicious victimhood narrative that is the first step down the path to becoming a terrorist. They probably told her this man was an ISIS fighter waiting to marry her

http://i2.asntown.net/h4/13/lifestyl...-Arabia-09.jpg

I can imagine in the atmosphere of Islamic sexual repression, feeling she was completely banned from any sexual or romantic involvement with any guy, that this was an outlet for that.

But ultimately, she was 16 when she went; she was well above the age of criminal responsibility, and that's what she was; she criminally travelled to support a genocidal group by being a comfort woman or wife to a murderer.

Of course, sections of the Islamic community are already claiming this is the government's fault. I can't work out whether they saying the government keeps too close an eye on them, or not close enough. I suppose it always depends on which is more convenient in that moment to support the victimhood narrative

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...revent-says-mp

Honestly, the imams in the Islamic centres and the teachers in the madrasas have something to answer for with stuff like this. Some of the crap they spread in places like Tooting IC and Finsbury Park mosque to name a couple of many wouldn't be out of place in an Al Baghdadi sermon*
Original post by The Epicurean
I have no doubt my views will be controversial. I don't find this a cause to celebrate over. How I see it, a young British citizen died. A young British teenager who was radicalised in our country. What this evidently highlights is that we have a problem in the UK where teenagers are becoming radicalised and it is an issue we need to address. So in these situation I don't celebrate, but mourn the loss young lives which could have accomplished so much more if we could have prevented such indoctrination taking place.

I am thankful she has met her end and will not be available to ISIS for use, perhaps, on the streets of Britain.

Two other thoughts. 1) From my reading about the methods used to recruit and radicalize foreign fighters I was surprised to see that, in some cases, just listening to speeches from a particular teacher(?not sure what their called), viewing a web site, or reading a jihadi magazine, is all that was needed to get these recruits to make the jihadi cause their own. I know there's more to it, or at least I HOPE there's more to it. It does seem that it doesn't take an awful lot of convincing to get these souls to do their bidding. Why is it so easy?

2). While reading the comments on this particular topic I saw something which I don't see very often. Some of you had brief praise for your country and even defended your culture. It's probably something you don't even think about, but it is rare to see Britain defended or to see British culture held up as evolved and better suited for the 21st century than many others. Many are quick to point out that some cultures long for the 7th. century but you stop short in holding up your own as a better model. This brings me to my point.
These 3 girls were around 17 yrs. of age. If you could weigh the two on a scale, How much negative do you think they've been told about their country and their culture versus how much positive? I 've read on this site that feelings of
patriotism and nationalistic pride are the characteristics of aggressive, imperialistic nations. That's crap. My point is, if these girls had heard more positive things about their country and culture, it might not have been so easy for some total bloodthirsty freaks to lure them away.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good. Hopefully the other two have or will meet the same fate soon
Original post by Double Agent
To everyone wishing a painful death on a 17 year old girl, just take a look at yourself for a second and ask if that makes you the morally superior person you seem to claim to be? Radicalisation is a very complex issue, this is a group that preys on and abuses the vulnerable to recruit members who believe based on this brain washing that they are doing the right thing for them and their people. This isn't the black and white good vs evil battle that the media wants you to believe it is, its all shades of murkey grey, and an all over sad story for all involved.

Sraight A students all 3 of them

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Isis

ZERO EXCUSES EVEN FOR 16 YEAR OLDS IN THE AGE OF THE INTERNET
LOL at the terrorist ISIS supporters feeling sorry for her and saying she was 16 we all did dumb stuff at 16.

Yes normal 16 year olds do dumb things such as not wearing protection during sex, inviting 100 strangers to a house party when their parents are away, falling for some stupid internet scam.

NOT travelling across the continent to join a beheading, burning, raping genocide commiting international group of war mongerers that HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN out of the news for the years leading up to these girls joining them
Original post by Betelgeuse-
LOL at the terrorist ISIS supporters feeling sorry for her and saying she was 16 we all did dumb stuff at 16.

Yes normal 16 year olds do dumb things such as not wearing protection during sex, inviting 100 strangers to a house party when their parents are away, falling for some stupid internet scam.

NOT travelling across the continent to join a beheading, burning, raping genocide commiting international group of war mongerers that HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN out of the news for the years leading up to these girls joining them

They aren't 'ISIS supporters', they feel sympathy for a kid who died. Yeah she isnt 'normal'. Thanks captain obvious
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
They aren't 'ISIS supporters', they feel sympathy for a kid who died. Yeah she isnt 'normal'. Thanks captain obvious

At your service

Educating the weak and ignorant

Its what i do
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I find it extremely touching that you're a social justice warrior sweetie.

You're condescending af
RIP, I blame the xenophobic attitude the leave campaign encouraged for her going to syria, many more will likely do the same due to Brexit
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oldercon1953
It does seem that it doesn't take an awful lot of convincing to get these souls to do their bidding. Why is it so easy?

Far greater number of Muslims in western nations like France, Belgium and the UK are joining ISIS than from countries like India and Indonesia. I think that in itself raises questions.

France
1,200 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 5 million
240 ISIS members per million Muslims in France

Belgium
440 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 660,000
667 ISIS members per million Muslims in Belgium

Indonesia

500 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 205 million
2.4 ISIS members per million Muslims in Indonesia

India
18 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 172 million
0.1 ISIS members per million Muslims in India

I think we need to ask why such a huge difference exists?

if these girls had heard more positive things about their country and culture, it might not have been so easy for some total bloodthirsty freaks to lure them away.

I'm quite skeptical that upon hearing positive things about the UK, attitudes towards the UK will change. I think the situation is more complicated.
*ahem*

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Original post by SugarCoatedCart

I wonder if that sympathy would still be there if any 16 year old isis recruit injured close family via suicide bombings
'to join isis'

she became the enemy and airstrikes don't discriminate
Far greater number of Muslims in western nations like France, Belgium and the UK are joining ISIS than from countries like India and Indonesia. I think that in itself raises questions.

They're recruiting from western countries/europe more because they are the countries that they want to target the most, there was a Panorama documentary about how they work if you wanna watch it

France
1,200 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 5 million
240 ISIS members per million Muslims in France

Belgium
440 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 660,000
667 ISIS members per million Muslims in Belgium

Indonesia
500 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 205 million
2.4 ISIS members per million Muslims in Indonesia

India
18 have joined ISIS
Estimated Muslim population is 172 million
0.1 ISIS members per million Muslims in India

I'm quite skeptical that upon hearing positive things about the UK, attitudes towards the UK will change. I think the situation is more complicated.

Probably cos non western nations dgaf who leaves and joins ISIS unlke the west who have ridiculous inteligence everywhere
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 137
Thank God she died before border control could let her return.
Good I hope it hurt

Posted from TSR Mobile
What I can never understand is why children are allowed access to their passports, should we not go back to when children were included on their parents passports?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending