The Student Room Group

FY1 pay after taxes

Hi everyone,

So, like it says in the title, I'm wondering how much the monthly pay will be for a FY1 trainee doctor. Location is North West of England for what it's worth.

The contract I received says £22,636 for a 40 hour work week. What will this work out to be per month, after taxes?

I'm asking because I am trying to budget my monthly expenses as well as rent and I need to know since I do not depend on my parents for any financial support.

Thank you in advance to all who read and reply. :smile:
Original post by kofte
Hi everyone,

So, like it says in the title, I'm wondering how much the monthly pay will be for a FY1 trainee doctor. Location is North West of England for what it's worth.

The contract I received says £22,636 for a 40 hour work week. What will this work out to be per month, after taxes?

I'm asking because I am trying to budget my monthly expenses as well as rent and I need to know since I do not depend on my parents for any financial support.

Thank you in advance to all who read and reply. :smile:

You... don't seem to know about banding? That's impressive naiivity for someone who has already started FY1!

Each of your jobs will be unbanded, 1B banded, or 1A banded. It is unlikely that you are unbanded all year. You need to find this out.

Once you have you can calculate your income. You can then google 'post-tax income uk' and use one of the various calculators there to find out your monthly post-tax amount (although remember to deduct pension and council tax, plus any other regular outgoings).
Reply 2
Original post by nexttime
You... don't seem to know about banding? That's impressive naiivity for someone who has already started FY1!

Each of your jobs will be unbanded, 1B banded, or 1A banded. It is unlikely that you are unbanded all year. You need to find this out.

Once you have you can calculate your income. You can then google 'post-tax income uk' and use one of the various calculators there to find out your monthly post-tax amount (although remember to deduct pension and council tax, plus any other regular outgoings).

Sorry, should have mentioned I am an EU graduate, no previous UK experience. I've had to delay my F1 year by almost a month due to EU bureaucracy.

I have read about banding but to a newcomer it's a bit confusing.
Original post by kofte
Sorry, should have mentioned I am an EU graduate, no previous UK experience. I've had to delay my F1 year by almost a month due to EU bureaucracy.

I have read about banding but to a newcomer it's a bit confusing.

Ah i had suspected as much. Although I'm still surprised you didn't know this before choosing to come to the UK!

The basic wage is as you state. Its then supplemented based on your additional out of hours work - 0%, 40% or 50%, with most jobs being 40 or 50%. So your income is significantly higher than £22,000, probably >£30,000pa.

Then like I said, put it through a tax calculator to get a post-tax figure. Council tax (based on your property, normally about £1500 per house/flat, divided between occupants) will not be included in these.

This is the old contract. The new one might be coming in at some point (?) which is structured differently, but income should not be substantially different. Information on this should become available later in the year.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending