The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninjass
I feel the same about the parents pressure its not great i know

It's awful. I can't even tell them that an exam didn't go well because their reply is always the same: 'you always say that, you'll be fine. You have to be'. Like thanks for your help?? I feel SO MUCH BETTER NOW JEEZ
Original post by tanyapotter
ugh, i hate it when parents are overly confident in me - they think it helps but it just makes me feel even worse. what's your insurance?

Agreed
Original post by victoria98
It's awful. I can't even tell them that an exam didn't go well because their reply is always the same: 'you always say that, you'll be fine. You have to be'. Like thanks for your help?? I feel SO MUCH BETTER NOW JEEZ

I have pressure from my friends as well and im going to be super embarassed when they found out if didnt do great
Original post by enyav
THIS. So many people are so hung up on the cambridge dream and tbh I spoke to the oxbridge teacher at my sixth form, who also happens to be the best politics teacher i've ever had and I told her that she and the whole system are selling us all a fantasy. I'm so glad I didn't get in, I was gutted at first, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Yeah, it's all a numbers game with oxbridge. One of my best friends did that same paper, and it's not like he isn't super intelligent because he is (he has an offer for chemical engineering at oxford) so statistically, he is pretty good at his subject, but he said it was all a joke and couldn't answer some questions. I signed the petition about it for him. it's so s*** when exam boards throw a curve ball exam paper in like that, and you think of the 2015 a2 paper and you're like i wish i got that instead! AQA are so cruel, my french teachers both gasped when they saw the exam paper, people are probably going to drop two grades and it's so disheartening. Ahh what exam board were you on for lit? And same :smile:

That AQA French paper still makes me so angry when I think about it, such a horrible paper! Hoping the grade boundaries are going to be low otherwise I'm not going to Uni hahaha😭😭
Original post by enyav
THIS. So many people are so hung up on the cambridge dream and tbh I spoke to the oxbridge teacher at my sixth form, who also happens to be the best politics teacher i've ever had and I told her that she and the whole system are selling us all a fantasy. I'm so glad I didn't get in, I was gutted at first, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Yeah, it's all a numbers game with oxbridge. One of my best friends did that same paper, and it's not like he isn't super intelligent because he is (he has an offer for chemical engineering at oxford) so statistically, he is pretty good at his subject, but he said it was all a joke and couldn't answer some questions. I signed the petition about it for him. it's so s*** when exam boards throw a curve ball exam paper in like that, and you think of the 2015 a2 paper and you're like i wish i got that instead! AQA are so cruel, my french teachers both gasped when they saw the exam paper, people are probably going to drop two grades and it's so disheartening. Ahh what exam board were you on for lit? And same :smile:

Agree with the cambridge thing - got rejected from cambridge but it isnt a big deal as cmom there are other good unis there its not all about oxbridge
Original post by coucouChar1997
That AQA French paper still makes me so angry when I think about it, such a horrible paper! Hoping the grade boundaries are going to be low otherwise I'm not going to Uni hahaha😭😭

Loads felt that way with aqa and oct salters chemistry - perosnally i always prefer harder papers as i do better in them somehow
Reply 3806
Original post by coboyle098
Exactly!! I'm so glad someone else understands that too! In all honesty even if I did receive an offer from Cambridge I genuinely think I would've rejected it simply because I realised it wasn't my scene!
Yes exactly! You always wish you had a different paper, and for some reason they decided to change the paper set up for near enough every exam!!!
I'm CCEA for all of my exams (I'm from Belfast), but what did you have to do for your lit exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, not many people do and I honestly don't know what I would have done with the offer, I probably would have accepted it and then realised I didn't actually want to go there. I know, it threw me off immediately. Oh, I'm from London so I had a mix of exam boards but in my experience AQA is the worst. For English Lit OCR we had a choice of two questions on The Tempest and in section B it was a comparison between Tis' Pity She's a Whore and The Wife of Bath and I chose the quote something along the lines of 'men cannot understand women'.Discuss. I really enjoyed that exam but tbh I'm a bit of a book worm and I love English, and it was my last exam so it was all a relief. How about yourself? :smile:
I'm so scared for results day, I need a high UMS to get predicted an A* in maths.
Reply 3808

exactly how i feel. All the previous years are childs play compared to that abhorrent excuse for an exam. I'm so worried but tbh AQA French boundaries never change enough to accommodate the difficulty of the exam and reflect student's abilities, so i'm not optimistic. What have you applied for/ where? :smile:
Original post by catsinnit
Anybody waiting for results for History, Politics or Classics?

History and Politics :/
Original post by Trapz99
I'm so scared for results day, I need a high UMS to get predicted an A* in maths.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OCR French one was quite nasty as well.
How much marks do you usually need (out of what) in maths to get an A? Edexcel*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enyav
Haha, not many people do and I honestly don't know what I would have done with the offer, I probably would have accepted it and then realised I didn't actually want to go there. I know, it threw me off immediately. Oh, I'm from London so I had a mix of exam boards but in my experience AQA is the worst. For English Lit OCR we had a choice of two questions on The Tempest and in section B it was a comparison between Tis' Pity She's a Whore and The Wife of Bath and I chose the quote something along the lines of 'men cannot understand women'.Discuss. I really enjoyed that exam but tbh I'm a bit of a book worm and I love English, and it was my last exam so it was all a relief. How about yourself? :smile:

Ahh I'm just back from a few days in London! Such a lovely city :smile:
We did The Tempest last year for coursework which I really enjoyed! Our first exam had 2 sections, so in section A we were given a choice of questions on The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope, and section B was a compare/contrast question on King Lear and The Burial at Thebes on the theme of tragedy where we had to analyse methods and include contextual info (one of the worst questions I have ever had in my life🙃). Then the second paper also had two sections, and section A was analysis of an extract from The Butcher Boy, and in section B we had to compare/contrast The Outsider by Camus and The Catcher in the Rye on the theme of the outsider, analysing methods and including context - such hard exams :frown:
I really adore the subject so much and I love analysing, but hate being tested on it because it's so subjective!
Original post by AdeptDz

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of ums you need 480/600 in total to get an A.
Original post by fefssdf
In terms of ums you need 480/600 in total to get an A.

Thanks but I don't really get ums so I was wondering how about in raw marks? Like I get gas fluctuate, but generally

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by catsinnit
Anybody waiting for results for History, Politics or Classics?

Classic civ? A2? AQA?
Original post by AdeptDz

I think this year the bounderies will be high as the c1-c4 papers were all very easy as was s1 and s2. So i think you need atoubd 66 oyr of 75 on average for an A
Posted from TSR Mobile

I think this year the bounderues will be high as all the c1 to c4 was very easy as eas s1 and s2 so 66 out of 75 on average
Wow I really feel for you, I had a mental breakdown too x
If going to university next year will negate from making progress with your mental health I would take the gap year, there's no shame in it :smile: but of course if you feel that you could handle it go with Newcastle if Medicine is what you actually want to do... Completely up to though, tough choices

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninjass
I think this year the bounderues will be high as all the c1 to c4 was very easy as eas s1 and s2 so 66 out of 75 on average

very easy as eas?

Quick Reply

Latest