The Student Room Group

Would you dump someone for being 'too' fun!???

When me and my ex started going out, he would say how he loved how 'fun, interesting and playful' I am, and how he felt so boring in comparison. I can't lie, he was :wink:

A few month later, he dumped me, saying we just weren't similar enough people for it to work long term.

We did have strikingly different personalities and quite different backgrounds too; he was very serious and from a very stable background, whilst I am very playful and from a rather dysfunctional background.
Despite this, we were both at a good university doing demanding degrees and ambitious.

When he dumped me, he cried and kissed me and held me tight; he seemed genuinely sad.

Is this really a valid reason to dump someone?
I'd say so. When I was a bit younger, I loved people who were full of endless outward energy because I was like it myself, bordering on hyperactive all the time. As I've gotten older, though, I've slipped into the typically British standpoint of finding in-your-face and over-energetic people really annoying and draining, so couldn't be with someone like it myself. If someone woke up every day like "Come on, get up, let's go do something fun!!" they'd find me at least half the days of the week responding somewhere along the lines of "Too tired, **** off...".
Original post by Anonymous
Would you dump someone for being 'too' fun!?

NO. Personally, I wouldn't.
But perhaps what has happened is an innocent misdiagnosis of the real reason
Reply 3
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
NO. Personally, I wouldn't.
But perhaps what has happened is an innocent misdiagnosis of the real reason

Which is?
No. But I would accept that we most likely would grow apart and to make the best of what we have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When me and my ex started going out, he would say how he loved how 'fun, interesting and playful' I am, and how he felt so boring in comparison. I can't lie, he was :wink:

A few month later, he dumped me, saying we just weren't similar enough people for it to work long term.

We did have strikingly different personalities and quite different backgrounds too; he was very serious and from a very stable background, whilst I am very playful and from a rather dysfunctional background.
Despite this, we were both at a good university doing demanding degrees and ambitious.

When he dumped me, he cried and kissed me and held me tight; he seemed genuinely sad.

In a way yes. He might find it hard work to keep up or difficult to relax around you or pressurised to be as fun as you are. Thats why he sounds as though he recognised that and that it just wouldnt work in the way that would make him feel comfy. Dont stop being fun though.
Reply 6
the problem wasn't you being too fun but the fact that you both had nothing in common. if the person themselves was too much fun then someone else being too much fun would be their perfect partner.
From what you wrote, it sounded like he could have broken up with you because you both had very different upbringings. That, in my opinion, would make me break up with someone, just because I think it's harder to understand a person who's had a very different childhood to themselves.

I'd say so as some people find that those fun people (like you, OP) are often less bordered so are more inclined to spend money on having fun and living for now rather than saving for the future where as straight-laced people (like your ex and myself) are real save for the long term, plan everything out years ahead and live big later on
how old were you guys?

maybe he just felt that you were in different stages of your life or that you weren't clicking as well as you thought :s-smilie:
I swear one reason I got ditched by my last girlfriend because I was always up for going out and doing something
Reply 11
Original post by Rock Fan
I swear one reason I got ditched by my last girlfriend because I was always up for going out and doing something

Girls are strange creatures.
I'd dump someone for being too boring but I don't think I could find anyone who was more fun than me :h: and if I did then... I'll invite you all to my wedding :wink:
I guess it could be a valid reason. If you're super bubbly and sociable and active ready to go out and up for anything. While he is more stoic, prefers quieter moments and likes staying at home I guess there could be conflict there.
The trait in itself isn't a bad thing, but it's likely that it was the direct opposite of what he's like and he wasn't able to click with it as well as he'd hoped.

Quick Reply

Latest