The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3820
Original post by coboyle098
Ahh I'm just back from a few days in London! Such a lovely city :smile:
We did The Tempest last year for coursework which I really enjoyed! Our first exam had 2 sections, so in section A we were given a choice of questions on The Rape of the Lock by Alexander Pope, and section B was a compare/contrast question on King Lear and The Burial at Thebes on the theme of tragedy where we had to analyse methods and include contextual info (one of the worst questions I have ever had in my life🙃). Then the second paper also had two sections, and section A was analysis of an extract from The Butcher Boy, and in section B we had to compare/contrast The Outsider by Camus and The Catcher in the Rye on the theme of the outsider, analysing methods and including context - such hard exams :frown:
I really adore the subject so much and I love analysing, but hate being tested on it because it's so subjective!

Ahh, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, sometimes I get annoyed with all the hustle and bustle but then I remember that it's a twenty minute train ride and I can be in the heart of the city in no time. Context was worth the majority of the marks in my lit exam too, and that sucks, when you've put all the work in but you hate the question :frown: ooh they all sound like great texts, especially Albert Camus - I studied it in French this year (L'etranger) and it was cool learning about existentialism and his beliefs on the self, but it was bloody difficult having to write an essay entirely in french and making sure your grammar was perfect. For one year, 2 exams seems like a lot to ask for in that kind of depth - on top of all your other exams. We only had one and coursework of course but it still felt like a lot to know, on top of trying to create a sophisticated argument. I love The Catcher in the Rye!!
I know what you mean, some people say it's objective because it's an exam and they are ex teachers and they know what a sophisticated argument is blah blah, but the discrepancy can be huge (first hand experience, anyway). It's more than possible to move between a B and an A* depending on who marks your paper - especially when there's only around 5 or 6 marks in it overall, with two essays!
Original post by target21859
very easy as eas?

Very easy as was. Typo error!!
Hey guys,

Loads of questions to ask lol

If your firmed uni doesn't accept you, is it worth calling the uni to see if they'd offer you a place for a similar course through clearing?

what time can you start calling universities for clearing??

Do you have any tips for the clearing calls or things to avoid saying in your clearing calls?

I'm preparing myself for the worst lolololol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ninjass
I think this year the bounderues will be high as all the c1 to c4 was very easy as eas s1 and s2 so 66 out of 75 on average

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
So now that unis have our results, do they literally spend all weekend looking over them and deciding who gets accepted/rejected, or do they wait until Monday to start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I don't know about biology or medicine as I've only just finished my AS exams and will be applying for Physics.

I recently attended a summer school at Newcastle Uni, and I think you made a great choice with Newcastle. The city is consistently rated as one of the best (usually THE best) student cities - you will definitely be able to develop as a person. Everyone is so friendly, especially compared to London (in my opinion) - there's a reason London unis tend to have lower student satisfaction than pretty much everywhere else in the country.

Newcastle is also more well regarded as a university than UEA, but both universities are good either way.

However, your personal well being should ALWAYS come first, but you may be able to get mental care whilst at uni - do some research into that.

Good luck with everything, hope everything goes well!
Original post by ninjass
Very easy as was. Typo error!!

I thought everyone was thinking s2 was slightly harder.

And I realised the error soon after ^^
(edited 7 years ago)
My Edexcel Math Predictions:

65 minimum for an A in C4: 67 Maximum
61 minimum for an A in C3; 63 Maximum
61 minimum for an A in S2; 65 Maximum

Edexcel were really soft this year. Annoys me because they will punish people who make silly mistakes. (Like meee)
Yeah I agree, a lot of people found S2 tough, but its generally doable so 62 for the A probably, 55 for a B and 48 for a C maybe?
I thought everyone was thinking s2 was slightly harder.

And I realised the error soon after ^^

Didnt seem hard at all s2 may be 68 for an A similar to last year
Original post by Jalfrazier6651
Yeah I agree, a lot of people found S2 tough, but its generally doable so 62 for the A probably, 55 for a B and 48 for a C maybe?

Really? I didnt sitvthe exam but looking at it it seemed straightforward. M2 was harder
For people who done Edexcel A2 Chem & Bio what were your thoughts on the papers? :biggrin:
Original post by ninjass
Didnt seem hard at all s2 may be 68 for an A similar to last year

Unlikely to be 68.
Original post by ninjass
Really? I didnt sitvthe exam but looking at it it seemed straightforward. M2 was harder

I didn't find it hard but it was on the same bad day as fp3 I had. I couldn't even add numbers correctly plus a multitude of other really stupid silly idiotic mistakes argh just praying for low grade boundaries. Exams went much better last year for me.
Original post by ninjass

A lot of people messed up the 8 marker, the 4 mark circle question threw a lot of people and many simply didnt know to double diffrentiate or simultaneous equation for the 10 marks . Also there was 15 marks of algebra as compared to 5 last year and as soon as that happens boundaries tend to dive down - im very certain the boundaries will drop although i dont know how much. The S2 poll showed a lot of people finding it really tough. But maybe itll stay sky high - who knows .

I got 64 on last years and got probably 52 on this years s2. Eek.
Unlikely to be 68.

I hope none of the exams are as high as 68 for an A
Original post by ninjass

Over 90% for an A? Has that ever happened before? :redface:
Original post by ninjass

C4 is the only one likely to be anywhere near that high - and even that is unlikely considering its a core module EVERYONE takes.
Anyone do AQA classical civ, Alexander or Augustus modules?
Original post by chloeabeki
Over 90% for an A? Has that ever happened before? :redface:

Yepp some have been 69 for an A

Quick Reply

Latest