The Student Room Group

how are my a level choices looking?

i initially chose maths, history, chem, bio and class civ but now i've changed my mind and want to drop maths for sociology instead.

i plan to study medicine in the future too so what do you think?
Original post by bytheseasons
i initially chose maths, history, chem, bio and class civ but now i've changed my mind and want to drop maths for sociology instead.

i plan to study medicine in the future too so what do you think?

For medicine, I'd advise you to keep maths or if you feel that Maths is hard for you then keep Physics instead. You can drop History maybe and take Biology,Chemistry,Maths or Physics and Sociology. The main subjects for medicine are Biology and Chemistry so, you need to keep these two subjects.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say maths probably looks better, but at the end of the day medicine will need as many A grades as possible so as long as you have the core subjects they require (aka chem and bio), go for the subjects you know you will get the grades in, which is most likely the one you like more and are more passionate about because you'll be more likely to want to put the work in.
Original post by sabahshahed294
For medicine, I'd advise you to keep maths or if you feel that Maths is hard for you then keep Physics instead. You can drop History maybe and take Biology,Chemistry,Maths or Physics and Sociology. The main subjects for medicine are Biology and Chemistry so, you need to keep these two subjects.

thanks for the advice! although the main problem here is i don't really feel like i could do well in maths...i'll definitely bear physics in mind though :smile:

Original post by wickedisgood
I'd say maths probably looks better, but at the end of the day medicine will need as many A grades as possible so as long as you have the core subjects they require (aka chem and bio), go for the subjects you know you will get the grades in, which is most likely the one you like more and are more passionate about because you'll be more likely to want to put the work in.

ahh i see. thanks for the advice! i reckon i'm pretty set on sociology...i just wanted other opinions :smile:
thanks for the advice! although the main problem here is i don't really feel like i could do well in maths...i'll definitely bear physics in mind though :smile:

ahh i see. thanks for the advice! i reckon i'm pretty set on sociology...i just wanted other opinions :smile:

No problem! :smile: Good luck with A Levels. :smile:
Reply 5
Usually you can get into Medicine courses with two hard sciences (usually they prefer Chemistry and Biology), so I think you would be okay dropping Maths for a different subject, however some universities don't really like Sociology A Levels. If you're looking at a uni that wants three hard sciences, as many do, you'd probably be best keeping Maths or swapping it for Physics.

You should start looking at the unis you might want to go to so you can properly decide which ones would be best for you.
Original post by Amefish
Usually you can get into Medicine courses with two hard sciences (usually they prefer Chemistry and Biology), so I think you would be okay dropping Maths for a different subject, however some universities don't really like Sociology A Levels. If you're looking at a uni that wants three hard sciences, as many do, you'd probably be best keeping Maths or swapping it for Physics.

You should start looking at the unis you might want to go to so you can properly decide which ones would be best for you.

thank you both so much for the help :smile: i'll bear the advice in mind

Chem + Bio + whichever subjects you think you will get the best grades in.

Only Cambridge (and only some colleges iirr) prefer 3 from science/maths so dropping maths won't really limit your options (especially if you think you'll struggle to get an A in maths).
Reply 8
If you think you would enjoy sociology more, go for it :smile:

At the end of the day you're probably going to do better in a subject that you actually like and want to revise for. You already have the two crucial subjects so it doesn't really matter what you take for the others.
Original post by PQ
Chem + Bio + whichever subjects you think you will get the best grades in.

Only Cambridge (and only some colleges iirr) prefer 3 from science/maths so dropping maths won't really limit your options (especially if you think you'll struggle to get an A in maths).

Phew that's a relief! Thanks a lot for the help:biggrin:

Original post by luciie
If you think you would enjoy sociology more, go for it :smile:

At the end of the day you're probably going to do better in a subject that you actually like and want to revise for. You already have the two crucial subjects so it doesn't really matter what you take for the others.

Thanks for your help! i am quite keen on doing sociology:h:
Essentially, you need to pick the subject that you are more likely to get an A in.
You can do any subject (apart from General Studies and Critical Thinking) if you have both Bio and Chem.
Original post by surina16
Essentially, you need to pick the subject that you are more likely to get an A in.
You can do any subject (apart from General Studies and Critical Thinking) if you have both Bio and Chem.

ahhh i see thanks a lot for the help!

Quick Reply