The Student Room Group

im scared of the smart ppl at uni...is it that bad?

I was just looking at the people going to study medicine with me and holy s**t they are all freaking geniuses!!! 😭 The eu and international students with their perfect IB scores from the best international schools and all the Duxes with multiple offers. And then there's me... Good old hard working me who got one good lucky offer. I'm not dumb don't get me wrong... I'm just normal and hard working and passionate but these people are something else!!! Ahhh I'm gonna drown there!!!

Has anyone got any wise words of wisdom for me? What is it like meeting people just as smart if not so much smarter than you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is a pretty common feeling amongst medical students, (and plenty of other people going to uni as well). You're used to being a big fish in a small pool - most med students were at or near the top of the class in school. And now you're with a load of other people who are at or above your level and it can be quite an adjustment.

That said, don't go the other way and put yourself down. You didn't get 'one lucky offer', and you shouldn't minimise the importance of hard work; it will get you much further than mere intelligence

Words of wisdom? Remember that if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room. You meet a lot of interesting at impressive individuals at uni. Instead of feeling intimidated and inadequate, choose instead to learn from others and be happy and proud of their successes. You'll probably find that they're not geniuses, but just pretty regular people with some good exam results. Some of them may even be intimidated by YOU!
Reply 2
I'm not a medical student, but I'm on a course with A*A*A + entrance exam requirements and I wondered about this before going, but tbh everyone is fairly normal and it doesn't tend to be discomforting. If anything it's quite nice to be amongst people who are around your level, whether they're slightly above, pretty much equal, or slightly below. The fact is that if you get in you deserve to be there and you're probably smarter than you give yourself credit for.
Original post by HopefullyOneDay
I was just looking at the people going to study medicine with me and holy s**t they are all freaking geniuses!!! 😭 The eu and international students with their perfect IB scores from the best international schools and all the Duxes with multiple offers. And then there's me... Good old hard working me who got one good lucky offer. I'm not dumb don't get me wrong... I'm just normal and hard working and passionate but these people are something else!!! Ahhh I'm gonna drown there!!!

Has anyone got any wise words of wisdom for me? What is it like meeting people just as smart if not so much smarter than you?

trust me when I say you are not the only one, this is a very common feeling when starting university and particularly when starting medicine. I always remember school as being top of the class, I was the girl that everyone came to when they needed help and I got the top grades in my school etc. but coming to medical school everyone is like that, everyone was the top of their class and everyone is intelligent, but trust me when I say that doesnt mean you will feel like your drowning.

Everyone at medical school feels like they are not smart enough when they compare themselves to their peers, but you have to remember everyone works differently and at different paces, so just do things the way that works best for you. During the first few months I had nights where I would sit in my room and get upset because I felt everyone was miles ahead of me, when in reality they are just much quicker at taking in the information and read a lot more than I did around the subject.

The key thing as said by the poster above is that you should never be the smartest person in the room at med school, because then you will have nothing to learn and you will not improve, so dont worry if so many people know more than you do, take the opportunity to learn the information they are telling you and it will help you improve your knowledge.

Just to put it into perspective, I always would consider myself as not being as smart as the majority of my year group at med school, but my passion, determination and hard work has meant I finished year 1 with a % score which was above the average for my year in the exams, that really drove home how comparing myself to others was useless. Dont dwell on it honestly, just do you and you will be fine!

Best of luck.
Original post by Ghotay
Remember that if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

:adore:
Amazing advice above! Also, from having friends doing Medicine and a flatmate doing Dentistry - I've not met people on any other courses that stress as much about not being good enough/as smart as coursemates as they do! Yet they pass exams and the next semester again stress, and say that they think it was a fluke, so you're definitely not alone.

Tldr..just because people don't outwardly express how they feel (ie: not smart), doesn't mean they don't share your feelings. Don't put yourself down - you got onto probably the most difficult Uni course for a good reason! :smile:
Original post by Ghotay

Words of wisdom? Remember that if you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

Brilliant advice :adore::adore: I'll remember that for next month. I suppose being with so many smart people will force me to study harder and develop quicker. Will be a big adjustment but I'll just have to get on with it! I was really looking forward to uni but now I wish the holidays could last a bit longer!

Btw i've read a bit from one of the main science books for med...is it a good idea to get some reading done before you go?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I'm not a medical student, but I'm on a course with A*A*A + entrance exam requirements and I wondered about this before going, but tbh everyone is fairly normal and it doesn't tend to be discomforting. If anything it's quite nice to be amongst people who are around your level, whether they're slightly above, pretty much equal, or slightly below. The fact is that if you get in you deserve to be there and you're probably smarter than you give yourself credit for.

Yeah that must be nice not to have to downplay your inner geek :tongue: and thanks for the kind words :smile:
Original post by Natalierm2707
trust me when I say you are not the only one, this is a very common feeling when starting university and particularly when starting medicine. I always remember school as being top of the class, I was the girl that everyone came to when they needed help and I got the top grades in my school etc. but coming to medical school everyone is like that, everyone was the top of their class and everyone is intelligent, but trust me when I say that doesnt mean you will feel like your drowning.

Everyone at medical school feels like they are not smart enough when they compare themselves to their peers, but you have to remember everyone works differently and at different paces, so just do things the way that works best for you. During the first few months I had nights where I would sit in my room and get upset because I felt everyone was miles ahead of me, when in reality they are just much quicker at taking in the information and read a lot more than I did around the subject.

The key thing as said by the poster above is that you should never be the smartest person in the room at med school, because then you will have nothing to learn and you will not improve, so dont worry if so many people know more than you do, take the opportunity to learn the information they are telling you and it will help you improve your knowledge.

Just to put it into perspective, I always would consider myself as not being as smart as the majority of my year group at med school, but my passion, determination and hard work has meant I finished year 1 with a % score which was above the average for my year in the exams, that really drove home how comparing myself to others was useless. Dont dwell on it honestly, just do you and you will be fine!

Best of luck.

Thank you! You've made me feel a bit better! At least i'm not alone in this. I suppose people like us tend to be really harsh on ourselves and underestimate what we are able to achieve but what you managed to do in first year just goes to show that hard work pays off. I'll try to be more positive...hopefully after a little while once I get to know people they will seem less intimidating!

Off topic but did you go out a lot and party the first week or so? I'm pretty social but not a big drinker so idk if I should bother or is this the key time to bond over med bar crawls and that sorta stuff?
Original post by ColossalAtom
:adore:

hahaha indeed :biggrin:
Original post by PhysicsGal
Amazing advice above! Also, from having friends doing Medicine and a flatmate doing Dentistry - I've not met people on any other courses that stress as much about not being good enough/as smart as coursemates as they do! Yet they pass exams and the next semester again stress, and say that they think it was a fluke, so you're definitely not alone.

Tldr..just because people don't outwardly express how they feel (ie: not smart), doesn't mean they don't share your feelings. Don't put yourself down - you got onto probably the most difficult Uni course for a good reason! :smile:

hahaha yeah i tend to be very harsh and put it down to luck all the time... I think it's a geek thing? But what you say could very well be true...trying to look smart and confident but stressed af inside. I'll keep telling myself that everyone probably feels dumb in roomful of med students at first! :tongue:
hahahaha you sound like my mum. I know i'll have to...I got this far didn't I? :wink: I was just wondering how other ppl felt.
This is how 99% of medical students feel at least once during the 4 or 5 or 6 years at medical school.

I felt the same way in my first year and beginning of second year. But I realised that I'm still good enough if I keep passing. I try not to compare myself because I'll always lose but I dont care. You're in so be happy.

My girlfriend's sister sailed through the IB and had never had to try at school. She got an unconditional offer for medicine.

Now she's at medical school it's been a massive adjustment for her. She is finding that intelligence isn't a substitute for hours in the library, and has found that difficult to deal with.*

Don't worry too much, you may be better prepared than you think.
Thank you! You've made me feel a bit better! At least i'm not alone in this. I suppose people like us tend to be really harsh on ourselves and underestimate what we are able to achieve but what you managed to do in first year just goes to show that hard work pays off. I'll try to be more positive...hopefully after a little while once I get to know people they will seem less intimidating!

Off topic but did you go out a lot and party the first week or so? I'm pretty social but not a big drinker so idk if I should bother or is this the key time to bond over med bar crawls and that sorta stuff?

Exactly as you said, be more positive and try your hardest not to compare yourself, your the one sitting the exams in the end not everyone else.

I dont drink but i did go to a few freshers events including the medics school disco and just drank soft drinks. I am quite confident and dont really care what people think about me so its fine for me, but it doesnt suit everyone. I would try and bond with flatmates and go with the flow, but set your boundaries and dont step over them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Exactly as you said, be more positive and try your hardest not to compare yourself, your the one sitting the exams in the end not everyone else.

I dont drink but i did go to a few freshers events including the medics school disco and just drank soft drinks. I am quite confident and dont really care what people think about me so its fine for me, but it doesnt suit everyone. I would try and bond with flatmates and go with the flow, but set your boundaries and dont step over them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way?! With the whole image of freshers I thought I would look weird if I didn't drink! But I think I'm sort of like you...I love a party and am confident but tend not to drink (don't feel I need it for a good time). I'll stick to my boundaries then. Thanks so much you have answered my two biggest questions I was worried about :smile:
No way?! With the whole image of freshers I thought I would look weird if I didn't drink! But I think I'm sort of like you...I love a party and am confident but tend not to drink (don't feel I need it for a good time). I'll stick to my boundaries then. Thanks so much you have answered my two biggest questions I was worried about :smile:

Best of luck in med school!

Yea in freshers there are the really heavy drinkers and crazy partiers (and a lot of them), but there are also people like us so dont worry to much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mrs House
This is how 99% of medical students feel at least once during the 4 or 5 or 6 years at medical school.

I felt the same way in my first year and beginning of second year. But I realised that I'm still good enough if I keep passing. I try not to compare myself because I'll always lose but I dont care. You're in so be happy.

I suppose as long as you graduate in the end it's all good. I think I need to give up trying to be so perfect and just focus on getting through.
And I'm over the moon to be starting medicine next month :biggrin:

Original post by TurboCretin
My girlfriend's sister sailed through the IB and had never had to try at school. She got an unconditional offer for medicine.

Now she's at medical school it's been a massive adjustment for her. She is finding that intelligence isn't a substitute for hours in the library, and has found that difficult to deal with.*

Don't worry too much, you may be better prepared than you think.

I really hope I am....and if not I'll just have to put in the hours. You're right though..talent only gets you so far...
I can relate to this (although I don't do Medicine, I do Mechanical Engineering). Having come from a state school especially, I really felt like a dumbass in the first few weeks of 1st year compared to everyone else around me. One thing I wasn't remembering at the time was that there are entry requirements for a reason, the people around you are deemed at roughly the same level as you; that there wasn't a huge gulf in ability between the person sitting next to me just because they maybe had one more A* or A than I did. I've found in university that a lot of people give off the impression that they are smart or keen when behind the scenes you don't really know how much they are struggling. Fast forward 2 years from then, I'd say I'm doing extremely well relative to the amount of work I put in, whilst those that I thought were smart spend all their time working yet get the same marks or less. In addition to this, there have been "geniuses" with all their A*'s and 95%+ exam marks from A-Level modules on my course who claimed it was easy and ended up dropping out in 1st year.
I really hope I am....and if not I'll just have to put in the hours. You're right though..talent only gets you so far...

Have some faith in the admissions tutor - they know what they're looking for.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending