The Student Room Group

"Marking what you have rather than what you don't have"

This is the the way CCEA says they mark. Reckon it's true?
Reply 1
I do CCEA History and English Lit and I've always been told that they only mark positively instead of negatively. It's not necessarily better, it's just different. If you don't have enough relevant content you still won't get a good mark. Although my english teacher marked essays by automatically starting them off with full marks, then deducting marks for problems with SPG, fluency, etc. I don't think that is how examiners mark it. They always try and credit you for what you have put down, at least in essay subjects.
Original post by smc720
I do CCEA History and English Lit and I've always been told that they only mark positively instead of negatively. It's not necessarily better, it's just different. If you don't have enough relevant content you still won't get a good mark. Although my english teacher marked essays by automatically starting them off with full marks, then deducting marks for problems with SPG, fluency, etc. I don't think that is how examiners mark it. They always try and credit you for what you have put down, at least in essay subjects.

Do you think it could promote better marks though? And do youngster an idea if the grade boundaries for CCEA English lit are usually low or high?
Reply 3
Original post by Georgelizmera
Do you think it could promote better marks though? And do youngster an idea if the grade boundaries for CCEA English lit are usually low or high?

It might do, because the examiners always try and give you credit for what is there and they can't really focus on what isn't.

The lit grade boundaries are quite average, 80% for an A. The AS exam is worth 120 marks, so you have to get 96. That's not really drastically high or low I guess?
Original post by smc720
It might do, because the examiners always try and give you credit for what is there and they can't really focus on what isn't.

The lit grade boundaries are quite average, 80% for an A. The AS exam is worth 120 marks, so you have to get 96. That's not really drastically high or low I guess?

Yeah like tbh I just want a C in English over all. But I still doubt ill get it just die to anxiety plus I think I could have done more but who knows tbh suppose anything can happen
The 80% for an A is 80% uniform marks, which year on year doesn't change. CCEA only post uniform mark boundaries and don't post the raw mark boundaries. In 2014, an A was 70/120 for the AS exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest