The Student Room Group

B to A* in a year is it possible?

Im currently on B/A in all my gcse subjects and was wondering if it is possible to go from a B to A " and if so for subjects like history english and french wahat are the main differences

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely possible with hard work!

Forget that, with hard work, you can go from a U to an A* in GCSE.......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I did it.
What a silly, pointless thread.
Original post by MersennePrime
What a silly, pointless thread.

What a silly pointless comment! :smile:
Most schools expect students to increase their grade by one level every year whilst studying GCSE. If you were to work hard, especially in year 11 you could increase your level by three grades. Anything more than this would be very difficult but it is possible.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by XTim96
Im currently on B/A in all my gcse subjects and was wondering if it is possible to go from a B to A " and if so for subjects like history english and french wahat are the main differences

Abolutely possible if that is your intention. I was at the exact same place grade wise with a lot of b's and a's but my science was getting worse. Once i committed myself to achieving what you just described this was the difference in grades between mocks and mock mocks

Mock mocks:
Biology A,c
Chemustry B,c
Physics B,B
English lit A
English lang D
Drama A* (i got a low B in my first practical but improved that to an A* with only 2 marks lost)
Music A mid
History A
Spanish A* and B

Mocks
Chemistry A, B (both a couple of marks off higher boundary)
Biology A, D close to a c (had very little time ti study for this one)
Physics A(two marks off A*) B
English lit B
English lang A*
History A, A*
Music A 5 marks off A*
Drama A
Spanish A* A

You'll encounter problems with or surrounding the study if there have been any there before( there may not be), but as long as you know what you need to do to get a certain result the rest is just keeping going and not compromising on what it is you want to achieve.
Reply 7
Sure. I got a B in my Year 10 maths mock and ended up with 99% UMS. You've plenty of time to improve.
Original post by XTim96

If you work at it, it's definitely possible! :biggrin:
With belief and a little bit of pixie dust anything is possible!

But seriously long hard revision can push your grade up easily. B to A* is only two jumps, big jumps but it's possible.
I failed my maths prelim and managed to get an A in my final, so definitely!!
Yup. In year 10 I started the year on a B in English Literature, and got an A* by the May exams :smile:
I started year 11 with an E in RE, walked out with A*, so yes, its fully possible
A friend got a D in her February-March Chemistry mock and ended up with an A* in 2 months, so yes - anything is possible.
These are all very impressive! :smile: What tips would people recommend to improve your grades over a short period of time?
Original post by adoodling
These are all very impressive! :smile: What tips would people recommend to improve your grades over a short period of time?

Practice papers, especially for science subjects.
Reply 16
You can definitely go from a B to an A* in a year! The best way to prepare would be to read your textbook and then do some past papers. I recommend going back four years and doing all the past papers from then - so go back to the 2012 papers and work your way up to the present year. This has always worked for me anyway. You can definitely get to an A*, so don't be discouraged - good luck! :smile:
Original post by adoodling

For my RE improvement I read the bible. In my papers you get could maybe 60-70% of the marks with enough semi relevant bible quotes, so I just learnt a load.And learn the answer formatting. Thats really it.
Original post by XTim96

YEAH! If you're willing to put in the work, you can do a lot in 1 year. Just make sure you study smart and not hard. :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by MapleSyrup2014
YEAH! If you're willing to put in the work, you can do a lot in 1 year. Just make sure you study smart and not hard. :biggrin:

By studying smart not hard do you mean, doing past papers and actuallly testing if I am capable of doing questions in relation to a certain topic instead of just reading the material over and over again?

Quick Reply

Latest