The Student Room Group

Why are there so many empty seats at the Rio Olympics?

Title

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Over-booking must have caused the ticket office to crash several times. same scenario during london Olympics too.
The tickets to go see the olympics are expensive. (300 US dollars) - the travel cost doesn't help either.

Some sports like hockey, rowing, rugby, fencing, gymnastics, aren't widely played in Brazil so they are not as popular and not much money and coaching fees are spent on them which means Brazil doesn't advertise them so people overseas don't know if that sport is being played at the olympics.

and I suppose the time difference. for someone like me living in the uk some events are on at 2/3 o clock in the morning and I have to go to work the next morning. so I suppose a lot of people who live over seas who go to Brazil are jet lagged when they come home and trust me being jet lagged is not good.
Too expensive for normal Rio citizens to buy. Seeing as there's so many free seats, I don't know why they won't give them for free to school children to inspire them or sell them at discounted prices
Plus the whole thing about Zika, people being mugged, etc. Surprisingly, it scares people off.
Because despite the hype and media attention.. a bunch of people you wouldnt recognise in Asda throwing sticks as far as they can and doing other crap boring "sports" isnt entertaining even if they are representing countries
Another thing is that people leave once there team/event has been proberly nit really the case though.
Happen to me at the commonwealth games where people only came to the scotland game in netball even though they could have stay for another two games seeing other countries. Shame really
Original post by davidguettafan
Title

Always are in some events/days
Reply 8
Title

IOC have said never have Olympics been as under attended as Brazil one. Prices are high people are not rich. Wasting money for them, when can buy food. If IOC gave a **** prices would be brought down hugely so poor can buy them but they just want MONEY

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GetOverHere
Plus the whole thing about Zika, people being mugged, etc. Surprisingly, it scares people off.

this
and the major strikes with the police, army and fire service
Well it is brazil.
Poor transport
Expensive tickets
More interest in football.
Fans cant be bothered to watch an event all day, they only seem interest in home teams.
VIPs not taking up their tickets.
People staying away from Brazil.

Attendance imo has been shocking poor. If its poor now then think how bad it will be for the paralympics.
Quite good if you are a foreign tourist as you will get tickets for most events.
Original post by PrincessBO$$
Well it is brazil.

What's wrong with Brazil?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothing.
Its just not many people would want to go cause of zika, hot humid weather. Also its not exactly the safest country.
Besides, Brazil is far from the western world its in the southern hemisphere so it isnt exactly easy to get there.
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's too hot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest