The Student Room Group

Help, laptop fan randomly gets really loud

It started happening after I installed Windows 10 (not sure if this can cause a hardware problem though).
Most of the time the fan is working nice and silent, but every once in a while I'll open the laptop's lid and it will immediately get extremely loud (freaked out the first time it happened, it's really quite loud).
Shutting down the laptop stops the fan obviously and when I power it back on it's again fine and silent for a while but eventually the same problem happens and I have to restart the laptop again.
The laptop is never even close to overheated. CPU seemed fine when I checked while it was running silently. I still have to check if the loud fan syndrome is associated with a surge in CPU, but I doubt this is the case. Why would there randomly be a surge in CPU after I open the lid?
Could reverting back to Windows 8 fix this at all? Any other advice?
Thanks a lot
Reply 1
Everything above

Plus, Win 10 requires a load more CPU power than Win 8 does. Reverting back to Win 8 can reduce the amount of times the fan needs to be on for your laptop, if it's an old or low powered one that works fine with win 8 but struggles on 10
Reply 2
Original post by Another
Everything above

Plus, Win 10 requires a load more CPU power than Win 8 does. Reverting back to Win 8 can reduce the amount of times the fan needs to be on for your laptop, if it's an old or low powered one that works fine with win 8 but struggles on 10

I really wouldnt say it uses much more processing power. The figure you see in Task Manager will be largely inaccurate due to some of the inbuilt processes designed to make the computer faster (which will show a CPU usage that fluctuates to quite a high degree). If you are truly experiencing much higher CPU load, I'd reckon its not due to the OS :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. The laptop is Toshiba Satellite PRO R50-B-122. I'm not inclined to think the noise is normal because I've had the laptop for like 6 months and it only started occurring recently.
I guess I did notice the fan is slightly louder on start up, but when this particular issue happens it really sounds like a full scale desk fan. It was never even close to this before.
I'm pretty sure I've always had it set up so that closing the lid puts it to sleep. Isn't this standard? Surely I don't want it running at full power when I'm not using it?
I'm not doing anything in particular when it happens. I don't have any programs running except the ones that are open in the background all the time (antivirus and so on). I just close the lid when I'm done and when I want to use it again this will happen. Not every time, but relatively often.
Sire its been said, but almost certainly it just needs cleaning to stop it overheating.
OP, it is struggling you will either have to revert back to windows 8 or buy a newer laptop to solve the issue
or get it rebuilt with an upgraded cpu (not worth it in most cases but some people do have an attachment to a computer of lots of files to move if replacing so pay for the upgrade)
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
I really wouldnt say it uses much more processing power. The figure you see in Task Manager will be largely inaccurate due to some of the inbuilt processes designed to make the computer faster (which will show a CPU usage that fluctuates to quite a high degree). If you are truly experiencing much higher CPU load, I'd reckon its not due to the OS :smile:

Personally on my old machine, Windows 8 worked brilliantly but as soon as I made the move to 10 everything started getting sluggish, even the OS. Many other people had problems with Windows lagging on the upgrade between 8 and 10 :/

OP if you open your laptop in safe mode (with no background or startup programs), does the fan still kick in?
Reply 7
Original post by Another
Personally on my old machine, Windows 8 worked brilliantly but as soon as I made the move to 10 everything started getting sluggish, even the OS. Many other people had problems with Windows lagging on the upgrade between 8 and 10 :/

OP if you open your laptop in safe mode (with no background or startup programs), does the fan still kick in?

As with any OS upgrade, a fresh installation is the only way to get the best speeds! Personally though, I updated it (albeit via a disk rather than download) and saw an improvement in performance rather than the alternative.
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies everyone. Funnily reverting to Windows 8 seems to have fixed the issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending