The Student Room Group

September maths test for AS maths

Hi, i am starting AS maths in September and a few people have told me that there could be a maths test as soon as we get back ! Does anyone know if that is the case ??If anyone is currently doing maths a level , did you have a test when you started?Or if you're going to be taking it do you think we will ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skye99
Hi, i am starting AS maths in September and a few people have told me that there could be a maths test as soon as we get back ! Does anyone know if that is the case ??If anyone is currently doing maths a level , did you have a test when you started?Or if you're going to be taking it do you think we will ?

Yes, I had one in September which I failed and had to resit. If I had failed the resit I would have been kicked off the A Level Math course. However, I passed that test and managed to be one of the few people who got 100% in the December mock, and also achieved an A overall for my AS level math :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by postexamtalk
Yes, I had one in September which I failed and had to resit. If I had failed the resit I would have been kicked off the A Level Math course. However, I passed that test and managed to be one of the few people who got 100% in the December mock, and also achieved an A overall for my AS level math :smile:

What did you get at GCSE can I ask?
Original post by Rajive
What did you get at GCSE can I ask?

7 A's and 5 B's
Reply 4

Ahhh ok and congrats on getting 100% and an A that's amazing !! What was the test on is it really hard? i'm worried now ahah
Original post by skye99
Ahhh ok and congrats on getting 100% and an A that's amazing !! What was the test on is it really hard? i'm worried now ahah

It wasn't hard at all, in actual fact I thought I had achieved over 90% in the test but due to silly mistakes was put down. I didn't do any of the set work over summer too which didn't help. I'm sure after results day and confirmation of a place at your sixth form, they'll give more info on induction tasks and doing those will prepare you for the test.
Reply 6
7 A's and 5 B's

Including an A for maths?
Original post by Rajive
Including an A for maths?

Yeah, gutted it wasn't an A* at the time but it doesn't really bother me anymore.
I had to do an 'algebra skills' test on my first ever AS maths lesson and I thought I was going to do really well because algebra had always been my best topic but I only ended up getting 61%...at least I passed though haha.
I didn't like the format of the test because there was barely any space for us to do any working out and we were very rushed for time imo. I was also full of first-day-nerves and hadn't eaten or drank anything because I'd forgot to pack my bag properly!!
So basically, if you want to do well, you could self-teach some C1 topics beforehand such as surds, quadratics and simultaneous equations. Also, make sure you are hydrated and have eaten properly even if you feel nervous!

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 9
It wasn't hard at all, in actual fact I thought I had achieved over 90% in the test but due to silly mistakes was put down. I didn't do any of the set work over summer too which didn't help. I'm sure after results day and confirmation of a place at your sixth form, they'll give more info on induction tasks and doing those will prepare you for the test.

thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by skye99

Depends on the sixth form (as they all operate differently to others). At my first sixth form I had one during inductions (they just wanted to get a good grasp of our abilities). Don't worry too much about it, and just do your best as they won't kick you out of the course whatsoever if you get a low score (but rather, will probably offer you more support) :tongue:
Lol I remember back in September the second week back we had one and I got a D and thought that I was going to be forced to drop Maths.......until I saw that almost all of my class got U's!!!!! You will most likely have a test, but if you do badly it is not a problem, since it took me 6 months till I got my D up to B's and A's.
Reply 12
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I had to do an 'algebra skills' test on my first ever AS maths lesson and I thought I was going to do really well because algebra had always been my best topic but I only ended up getting 61%...at least I passed though haha.
I didn't like the format of the test because there was barely any space for us to do any working out and we were very rushed for time imo. I was also full of first-day-nerves and hadn't eaten or drank anything because I'd forgot to pack my bag properly!!
So basically, if you want to do well, you could self-teach some C1 topics beforehand such as surds, quadratics and simultaneous equations. Also, make sure you are hydrated and have eaten properly even if you feel nervous!

Best of luck! :smile:

Thanks for the heads up !:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by kkboyk
Depends on the sixth form (as they all operate differently to others). At my first sixth form I had one during inductions (they just wanted to get a good grasp of our abilities). Don't worry too much about it, and just do your best as they won't kick you out of the course whatsoever if you get a low score (but rather, will probably offer you more support) :tongue:

yeah my school love tests so i'll probably have one 1st lesson which should be fun ahah:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by metaljoe
Lol I remember back in September the second week back we had one and I got a D and thought that I was going to be forced to drop Maths.......until I saw that almost all of my class got U's!!!!! You will most likely have a test, but if you do badly it is not a problem, since it took me 6 months till I got my D up to B's and A's.

ah ok thanks:smile:
Reply 15
Yes! I've moved around two colleges and they both had tests (usually 2nd lesson or within the first week). Best advice is to master fractions and algebra as that's what 90% of the test will be. Learn how to simply and manipulate fractions e.g 4/12 * 6/10 = 1/3 * 3/5 = 3/15 = 1/5
Reply 16
As maths is fine so don't stress, A2 is more challenging so pre read for that as it is difficult to master in the time.
Reply 17
Original post by TSRPAV
As maths is fine so don't stress, A2 is more challenging so pre read for that as it is difficult to master in the time.

ok thanks :smile: are you waiting on your A2 exam results ?
Reply 18
Original post by TSRPAV

I'm going to do A2 and As level further maths what do you recommend?
Reply 19
Original post by skye99
ok thanks :smile: are you waiting on your A2 exam results ?

Yes i am aaaaahhh Need an A but looking at unofficial schemes and harshly marking myself as well as using last years boundaries i would be 2 UMS of an A :////// BUT this is cos when i did S1 last year i got a low D in it which has dragged my overall grade down.

Quick Reply

Latest