The Student Room Group

Stress for a new year 10 student

Right I've posted a lot about the new GCSE and I'm still sosososo scared and for the degree i want to do in uni needs about 9 7's and I'm taking exactly 9!? So basically i have to get 7's in everything... oh my. My school has little options and i really can't move schools so thats a nono, i wouldn't consider myself being smart nor thick, I'm only in the top set for maths but the others middle set and I've just came out of year 9 and it was difficult and i cant imagine how year 10 will be, especially with this new GCSE I've always had a dream to be a dentist and i can't change it, I've always wanted to and i find it awkwardly and strangely interesting in my spare time i just read things about it, i sound like a proper sado... my friends want to do it and they are waaaay more clever than i am and when i see them i feel like I'm useless and will embarrass myself by getting low grades, its too confusing. Im not letting this dream come to waste ever since year 2 I've wanted to be one. I need to concentrate harder and i need to block social media from coming in my way but I can't figure out if I'm taking over myself by doing all this, my parents give all the support to me and they will let me do anything i want to do but i want to do something got to do with med. Its the new gcse thats scaring me i know it is, I'm scared right now what can i do!!?? I just want to sit there and revise all day long but i can't seem to do it, i instantly forget about what i learn and i don't have the energy to recap it! Please help I don't want to stress to much or i don't want to just chill too much, its hard to do both and currently i don't do anything because I'm just too stressed right now, your probably thinking that I'm stressing too much at this stage but honestly i can't stop it...
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by happydimples
Right I've posted a lot about the new GCSE and I'm still sosososo scared and for the degree i want to do in uni needs about 9 8's and I'm taking exactly 9!? So basically i have to get 8's in everything... oh my. My school has little options and i really can't move schools so thats a nono, i wouldn't consider myself being smart nor thick, I'm only in the top set for maths but the others middle set and I've just came out of year 9 and it was difficult and i cant imagine how year 10 will be, especially with this new GCSE I've always had a dream to be a dentist and i can't change it, I've always wanted to and i find it awkwardly and strangely interesting in my spare time i just read things about it, i sound like a proper sado... my friends want to do it and they are waaaay more clever than i am and when i see them i feel like I'm useless and will embarrass myself by getting low grades, its too confusing. Im not letting this dream come to waste ever since year 2 I've wanted to be one. I need to concentrate harder and i need to block social media from coming in my way but I can't figure out if I'm taking over myself by doing all this, my parents give all the support to me and they will let me do anything i want to do but i want to do something got to do with med. Its the new gcse thats scaring me i know it is, I'm scared right now what can i do!!?? I just want to sit there and revise all day long but i can't seem to do it, i instantly forget about what i learn and i don't have the energy to recap it! Please help I don't want to stress to much or i don't want to just chill too much, its hard to do both and currently i don't do anything because I'm just too stressed right now, your probably thinking that I'm stressing too much at this stage but honestly i can't stop it...

Trust me I know how you feel, I want to do medicine which is a pretty demanding course as well. My advice would be to find a way to relax first of all (maybe do some fun activites or whatever you enjoy, just to take your mind off of things) and then come to terms with the fact that to get what you want in life you gotta work hard for it. Everything is achievable if you put your mind to it. I'm sure that if you apply yourself and perform to the best of your ability now, you will surely achieve what you want for your future.
is 8 an A or a B?
Original post by TheAnon0301
Trust me I know how you feel, I want to do medicine which is a pretty demanding course as well. My advice would be to find a way to relax first of all (maybe do some fun activites or whatever you enjoy, just to take your mind off of things) and then come to terms with the fact that to get what you want in life you gotta work hard for it. Everything is achievable if you put your mind to it. I'm sure that if you apply yourself and perform to the best of your ability now, you will surely achieve what you want for your future.

Aww thank you, i hope you achieve what you want in the future :smile: . Its what i hear about the new GCSE it sound really difficult and the dentistry qualification (Mainly because they want 9 7's and I'm taking 9 subjects). I'm also worried if the fun will take over my revision and studies completely :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mercuryman
is 8 an A or a B?

Oh sorry I've put the wrong number in, 7 is an A and 6 is a B
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh sorry I've put the wrong number in, 7 is and A and 6 is a B

So they basically want 9 A grades?

How do you know you will be required to even get this? Source?

Don't tell me your teacher told you, because they normally chat **** about grade requirements into med/dentistry
(edited 7 years ago)

That sounds really hard to get, imo considering I only got 7 A*-A. There must be some new catch to this new system.

Tbh i think the degree i want to do care more about the A-Level but anyway getting an A in chemistry and biology would be twice as hard as doing separate science in GCSE, maybe out of this world hard and to do dentistry you always had to get 9 A's
(edited 7 years ago)
Right I've posted a lot about the new GCSE and I'm still sosososo scared and for the degree i want to do in uni needs about 9 7's and I'm taking exactly 9!? So basically i have to get 7's in everything... oh my. My school has little options and i really can't move schools so thats a nono, i wouldn't consider myself being smart nor thick, I'm only in the top set for maths but the others middle set and I've just came out of year 9 and it was difficult and i cant imagine how year 10 will be, especially with this new GCSE I've always had a dream to be a dentist and i can't change it, I've always wanted to and i find it awkwardly and strangely interesting in my spare time i just read things about it, i sound like a proper sado... my friends want to do it and they are waaaay more clever than i am and when i see them i feel like I'm useless and will embarrass myself by getting low grades, its too confusing. Im not letting this dream come to waste ever since year 2 I've wanted to be one. I need to concentrate harder and i need to block social media from coming in my way but I can't figure out if I'm taking over myself by doing all this, my parents give all the support to me and they will let me do anything i want to do but i want to do something got to do with med. Its the new gcse thats scaring me i know it is, I'm scared right now what can i do!!?? I just want to sit there and revise all day long but i can't seem to do it, i instantly forget about what i learn and i don't have the energy to recap it! Please help I don't want to stress to much or i don't want to just chill too much, its hard to do both and currently i don't do anything because I'm just too stressed right now, your probably thinking that I'm stressing too much at this stage but honestly i can't stop it...

Hmm this is new, I haven't heard about a university requiring someting like that specifically. Are you able to provide a source?
Tbh i think the degree i want to do care more about the A-Level but anyway getting an A in chemistry and biology would be twice as hard as doing separate science in GCSE, and dentistry have always wanted to get 9 A's

false false false false false false false false false false false false false false false

they've always wanted As and Bs

A/Bs in maths, english language, and all sciences.

Stop stressing :smile:

Like i've said above, don't listen to teachers when they say stuff like this, they normally do not know what they're talking about. Unless you have evidence from university websites that they'll be demanding 9 As in GCSEs, you're good to go with all As/Bs.
(edited 7 years ago)

How do you know you will be required to even get this? Source?

Don't tell me your teacher told you, because they normally chat **** about grade requirements into med/dentistry

im not required to get it but i want to try and get it...
im not required to get it but i want to try and get it...

*Facepalm*

Then WHY are you stressing over something that will have virtually 0 impact on your application?
...Sigh
They do not care about GCSEs the way you're caring about them, just meet their own thresholds.
(edited 7 years ago)
false false false false false false false false false false false false false false false

they've always wanted As and Bs

A/Bs in maths, english language, and all sciences.

Stop stressing :smile:

Like i've said above, don't listen to teachers when they say stuff like this, they normally do not know what they're talking about. Unless you have evidence from university websites that they'll be demanding 9 As in GCSEs, you're good to go with all As/Bs.

Ive had a look in manchester university and they want a minimum of 7 gcse's at grade 7, maths and english at grade 6 above, sorry i misunderstood thank you!:smile:
Definitely relax, you have 2 years which is plenty of time to get max grades at GCSE. You just need to work hard throughout the year, focus a lot on coursework and start revising for the real exams at Jan/Feb. If you want to do dentistry then id start having a look at what work experience you can get, its quite competitive and hard to secure so starting now will give you plenty of time. But calm down and enjoy the rest of your summer
Ive had a look in manchester university and they want a minimum of 7 gcse's at grade 7, maths and english at grade 6 above, sorry i misunderstood thank you!:smile:

Don't worry, I can assure you they won't make it any harder for you than how people in the past had it. :smile:

Just get As/Bs in Maths eng and sciences.
and Bs in rest if you want. That is all thats needed in terms of GCSES. Now is your time to relax and get prepped. not stress over getting 'excellent' gcses which unis don't even bother with
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HopelessMedic
Definitely relax, you have 2 years which is plenty of time to get max grades at GCSE. You just need to work hard throughout the year, focus a lot on coursework and start revising for the real exams at Jan/Feb. If you want to do dentistry then id start having a look at what work experience you can get, its quite competitive and hard to secure so starting now will give you plenty of time. But calm down and enjoy the rest of your summer

Thank you, i will try and enjoy the summer, oh and we don't have coursework anymore
Don't worry, I can assure you they won't make it any harder for you than how people in the past had it. :smile:

Just get As/Bs in Maths eng and sciences.
and Bs in rest if you want. That is all thats needed in terms of GCSES.

I'A i will get 7's and 6's, i hope i do anyways!
I'A i will get 7's and 6's, i hope i do anyways!

i'A :smile:
You shouldn't be stressed. Just don't slack and do your best, and you'll be absolutely fine. :smile: Just chilll for now, the beginning of Year 10 is way too early to get stressed. I'm suprised how unis can judge what they'll need grade-wise on the 9-1 scale, since there's so little information about it out there.
Reply 18
is 8 an A or a B?

A* i think
You'll be fine :smile: you don't need to study Medicine to become a dentist, if that's what you were thinking. Many universities do Dentistry degrees, and not all of them will be so demanding. You might want to look around at the possible universities and make sure you're targets are reachable, but don't give up on your dream.

GCSEs might seem hard, you've just got to keep working at it. A lot of the time universities don't really mind what GCSEs you have got (bar a couple) - they look at your A Levels mainly.

Quick Reply

Latest