The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
So the average score is taken by adding the Verbal Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning, and the situational judgement doesn't have a score;just a band??
Original post by Medici103
Because one section has been removed but the other sections are still out of 900. When working out the mean from the total of all three sections, you divide by three instead of four to account for the loss of decision analysis.

Oh okay, thank you :smile:
Reply 62
Have you used the timed question feature? I found it really helpful. Only having 5 questions makes it difficult to adopt the guess flag and move on strategy so you don't get a true representation.

Yes, Thats what I've been using for the mocks. So selecting 40Qs timed section. But I just can't seem get more than 3-4 right, out of 20, or more than 9-10 right out of 40.

I've done all the Qs, So technically, now it's not the same as I know the Qs.

I always knew QR section would be my weakest, but I dint think I'd be that bad under timed pressure.*
Just a thought, UKCAT didn't release preliminary stats last year because apparently the majority of people booked their test for the last two weeks of the testing period and so results before that, even interim ones, would have been misleading. I tweeted UKCAT and asked if interim stats were going to be released this year and they said that they would be. However, if people postpone their currently booked tests for whatever reason, this may have the same effect as last year.

The wishful thinkers among us might attribute that to the possibility that they looked at the mean score of the earlier cohort and thought "no way is it going to remain this high once everyone's done the exam". :P
Original post by Zaydy3
So the average score is taken by adding the Verbal Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning, and the situational judgement doesn't have a score;just a band??

Yes. (VR+AR+QR) / 3 gives you your average.
Original post by 123ash
Yes, Thats what I've been using for the mocks. So selecting 40Qs timed section. But I just can't seem get more than 3-4 right, out of 20, or more than 9-10 right out of 40.

I've done all the Qs, So technically, now it's not the same as I know the Qs.

I always knew QR section would be my weakest, but I dint think I'd be that bad under timed pressure.*

Have you looked at your practice analysis where it gives you a breakdown by type of question and % overall? That may give you an indication of areas that you could work on outside of medify.
Reply 66
Where is that? On the UKCAT website?

Yes, Medici.
Original post by Chikkinn
The wishful thinkers among us might attribute that to the possibility that they looked at the mean score of the earlier cohort and thought "no way is it going to remain this high once everyone's done the exam". :P

Potentially. :smile:

They also may have wanted to throw everyone in to a blind panic.
Anyone else struggling with 1000q isc book's Abstract Reasoning Type 1 questions???
Reply 69
Original post by Balrajan singh
Anyone else struggling with 1000q isc book's Abstract Reasoning Type 1 questions???

Yep, don't worry you are not the only one.

I think the 1000q book is good to stretch our minds outside the box so we are actually over prepared.

Better to be over prepared than underprepared.

The real thing will be easier(hopefully *gulp*)
Reply 70
Have you looked at your practice analysis where it gives you a breakdown by type of question and % overall? That may give you an indication of areas that you could work on outside of medify.

Yes, But where can i find resources from outside Medify? Thanks for the advice :-)*
Original post by 123ash
Yes, But where can i find resources from outside Medify? Thanks for the advice :-)*

BBC bitesize, study maths.co.uk. Or books. Just resources that will enable you to practice specific skills
Original post by saran23
Yep, don't worry you are not the only one.

I think the 1000q book is good to stretch our minds outside the box so we are actually over prepared.

Better to be over prepared than underprepared.

The real thing will be easier(hopefully *gulp*)

Yh, i guess it helps with the techniques and i hope the real thing is easier too 😁
Reply 73
Hello me again!

*I was hoping someone could help clear my confusion. In order to get a score of say 600 in VR (or any section) do i need to be getting around 60% correct? E.G. On Medify if i get 22/44 Qs right, that's 50% so on an actual UKCAT score would that be 500? I'm struggling to understand just how bad I'm actually doing on Medify, on the limited time practice tests.
Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance **
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123ash
Hello me again!

*I was hoping someone could help clear my confusion. In order to get a score of say 600 in VR (or any section) do i need to be getting around 60% correct? E.G. On Medify if i get 22/44 Qs right, that's 50% so on an actual UKCAT score would that be 500? I'm struggling to understand just how bad I'm actually doing on Medify, on the limited time practice tests.

Thanks in advance **

You could just find your % correct, find that % of 600 and add 300 to get an idea. It's likely more accurate than just saying 50% is 500, 60% is 600 etc.
Reply 75
Original post by hoafanuk
You could just find your % correct, find that % of 600 and add 300 to get an idea. It's likely more accurate than just saying 50% is 500, 60% is 600 etc.

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense..*
Hi, my UKCAT's on Thursday and on the practice papers I keep getting like 590's does anyone have any tips for QR/AR? Don't know how anyone gets through this with the timings to be honest it's really hard
I'm scared now. I already did mine and thought compared to most years it would be safe for the UKCAT-intensive GEPs unis (I'm doing grad entry).

I'm hoping that because it was the DA that inflated the 2013 score, and there is none this year with no change to the other sections, it will just fall into similar place as last year by the end.

Congrats everyone so far on awesome scores though!

Potentially. :smile:

They also may have wanted to throw everyone in to a blind panic.
Original post by hoafanuk

50% is usually about 600, maybe 570 with VR
Original post by 123ash
Hello me again!

Thanks in advance **

The score would be just under 600 for VR. There is a Kaplan scoring system for the UKCAT floating around the internet somewhere which is a great tool for indicating your score. alternatively just times your percentage by 6 and add 300.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending