The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Medici103
I had tons of shadowing stuff that I could have used but it falls just outside the two year rule. So frustrating!

I know, I observed clinics, and theatre but that was in Jan 2014. So couldn't use.
Original post by 123ash
I know, I observed clinics, and theatre but that was in Jan 2014. So couldn't use.

Are you still going to include it on the WE form (fingers crossed!)?
Reply 122
Are you still going to include it on the WE form (fingers crossed!)?

No, I've managed to get more recent. But I will def talk about those experiences.

I don't really know, how Warwick will ask for the WE. If we can show all then i will, but if just 70hrs. Then i will share my recent only.*
Original post by BarneyStinsom
I am planning to apply for Medicine at Warwick, but am finding it difficult to do work experience in a relevant field.

Same here. Most of my observations of what being a doctor involves what I remember from being in hospital and shadowing in A&E when I was 16.

But that shadowing doesn't count because it was like 8 years ago. I do remember I pretty much hated every minute of it.

I've been volunteering which has helped but I'm constantly worried it's not enough with my optical assistant experience. It doesn't matter what you did though. It's more important what you learnt. I've been keping notes about stuff over the past few months: just notes in my diary about something that happened while volunteering so I can reflect on it at a later date.
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the lowest UKCAT someone got who was offered an interview? Or what the cutoff was for last year? Losing hope with the UKCAT :frown:
Reply 125
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me what the lowest UKCAT someone got who was offered an interview? Or what the cutoff was for last year? Losing hope with the UKCAT :frown:

Ditto
Original post by aspiringmedic123
Hi Guys,

Original post by 123ash
Ditto

Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.48.08.png
Reply 127
Screen Shot 2016-08-12 at 12.48.08.png

So, 2013, and 2014, were higher than 2015. Anyways, reading all this is stressing me out. No point in reading around too much, until I haven't actually taken the test and have a score at hand.

Thanks for the info though :-)*
Original post by 123ash
So, 2013, and 2014, were higher than 2015. Anyways, reading all this is stressing me out. No point in reading around too much, until I haven't actually taken the test and have a score at hand.

Thanks for the info though :-)*

2014 entry was a bit of a mess due to the problems with decision analysis. The average scores were inflated and so the cutoffs went up. Taking that year out, the average for the other two was 701.25.
For work experience, do we have to get references which contain the number of hours we have undertaken? My work experiences are about a year old and I am struggling to get updated references.
Reply 130
Original post by saran23
For work experience, do we have to get references which contain the number of hours we have undertaken? My work experiences are about a year old and I am struggling to get updated references.

Yes, The number of hours needs to be written, or at least an approx, like spent the whole day from 9am-4pm on the ward etc....
Hi all. Not sure if this has already been asked but is there a separate application form from UCAS for Warwick GEM where you write the work experience/volunteering hours? If there is, does it get sent to you after you submitted your UCAS application?
Original post by mj1dan2014
Hi all. Not sure if this has already been asked but is there a separate application form from UCAS for Warwick GEM where you write the work experience/volunteering hours? If there is, does it get sent to you after you submitted your UCAS application?

I think the work experience form gets sent to you after application.
I think the work experience form gets sent to you after application.

Ah that's ok then. I thought I had to send something off at the same time with my application. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mj1dan2014
Ah that's ok then. I thought I had to send something off at the same time with my application. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. But if I remember correctly, you must fulfil the 70 hours requirement prior to application.
I perfectly meet the 70hrs w/e requirement(more than 100hrs+ from shadowing) but according to their website they will not accept my voluntary work because it is not set in a caring environment. Can anyone pls advise me how I can immediately get a suitable voluntary placement with DBS checks in mind?
Ideally I want to start by mid september
Reply 136
Original post by saran23
I perfectly meet the 70hrs w/e requirement(more than 100hrs+ from shadowing) but according to their website they will not accept my voluntary work because it is not set in a caring environment. Can anyone pls advise me how I can immediately get a suitable voluntary placement with DBS checks in mind?
Ideally I want to start by mid september

Hi,*

What do you mean by caring setting? Obviously wherever you have shadowed must be relevant, otherwise why would you have?*

I managed to get voluntary companionship, community patient support worker and Accident & Emergency within 4 weeks. My DBS checks took less than 7days.

*These voluntary experiences are not for my 70hrs, I already have them. This is something I'm just doing on the side.*

Original post by 123ash
Hi,*

What do you mean by caring setting? Obviously wherever you have shadowed must be relevant, otherwise why would you have?*

I managed to get voluntary companionship, community patient support worker and Accident & Emergency within 4 weeks. My DBS checks took less than 7days.

*These voluntary experiences are not for my 70hrs, I already have them. This is something I'm just doing on the side.*

Hi, thanks for your reply.

In addition to shadowing I thought they also wanted to see voluntary work from a care setting like you have done and other things like HCA or working in a hospice/nursing home etc.

This is from their website:

"We expect all applicants to have completed a period of work experience that involves hands on contact with patients as well as an opportunity to shadow doctors and other health care professionals."

I have met 1 part of this criteria and I am desperately seeking to fulfil the "hands on" volunteering work :?If we don't mention the volunteering work in their online work experience form then are we also allowed to talk about it in a potential interview? because they do not use the personal statement for admissions in general.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by saran23
Hi, thanks for your reply.

In addition to shadowing I thought they also wanted to see voluntary work from a care setting like you have done and other things like HCA or working in a hospice/nursing home etc.

This is from their website:

"We expect all applicants to have completed a period of work experience that involves hands on contact with patients as well as an opportunity to shadow doctors and other health care professionals."

I have met 1 part of this criteria and I am desperately seeking to fulfil the "hands on" volunteering work :?If we don't mention the volunteering work in their online work experience form then are we also allowed to talk about it in a potential interview? because they do not use the personal statement for admissions in general.

Well, Technically hands on care could mean anything from communicating with patients effectively, to a more personal level of care provided. So whilst you were shadowing did you not have any communication with patients?

It is very easy to find Community care support work voluntary work, and they normally get you started asap.

Definitely, you can use any experience to showcase your skills and understanding in the interview process.*
Original post by 123ash
Well, Technically hands on care could mean anything from communicating with patients effectively, to a more personal level of care provided. So whilst you were shadowing did you not have any communication with patients?

It is very easy to find Community care support work voluntary work, and they normally get you started asap.

Definitely, you can use any experience to showcase your skills and understanding in the interview process.*

Well, there was an occasion where I had to translate for a patient when the translator didn't show up during the ward rounds.

But yeah, I'll definitely find some community care support work soon.

Thank you :smile: