The Student Room Group

Armed man injures 7 on Swiss train with knife, starts fire

This story just broke, of course I'll edit the OP with more information as it comes.

A knifeman has set fire to a train in north-eastern Switzerland, leaving six people in hospital with stab wounds and burns, police say.

The suspected attacker, described as a Swiss man aged 27, was also taken to hospital after the incident near Salez in St Gallen Canton.

He had ignited a flammable liquid before attacking people with a knife.

Among the injured is a child of six. There was no immediate information as to motive or background.

Three rescue helicopters are at the scene. A major police operation is under way.

The attack occurred around 14:20 (12:20 GMT) as the train was approaching Salez station, between the towns of Buchs and Sennwald.

Several dozen passengers were on board at the time of the attack.

Apart from the child, a girl and a boy, both 17, two women aged 34 and 43, and a man aged 50 were hurt. Some of the injured are said to be in a serious condition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37072847
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

6 year old child among the victims

What a monster!
Was it the Religion of pea...never mind.
Looney...
'Swiss man', hmm native Swiss or a 'Swiss national of xyz origin'... I wonder

Awful news either way, hopefully there are no serious injuries :frown:
Original post by Mathemagicien
"Swiss citizen", so could be any religion or ethnicity.

I used to admire you for your stance against political correctness. Let's be honest, the likelihood of this not being associated with radical Islam is rather slim.

Presumptions are there to be made.
Reply 6
Original post by jake4198
I used to admire you for your stance against political correctness. Let's be honest, the likelihood of this not being associated with radical Islam is rather slim.

Presumptions are there to be made.

At least they said it could be any religion or ethnicity in Canada a Islamic extremist got shot and some people in the media said he couldn't be Islamic because he was white.
Original post by joecphillips
At least they said it could be any religion or ethnicity in Canada a Islamic extremist got shot and some people in the media said he couldn't be Islamic because he was white.

People said the young boy who shot those innocent people outside McDonald's couldn't be Muslim because he chanted "I am German".
Reply 8
And yet again the weekly mass stabbing/bombing/shooting/trucking takes place

Mainland Europe is a mess
Reply 9
Also an interesting point; the vast majority of native Swiss males aged 18-34 have an assault rifle at home as they are conscripted into the national militia.

If someone with a rifle wants to murder people in a train he would use his gun.
Ergo, the killer had no rifle and is probably not a native swiss.
Thoughts to the victims... Hope this wasn't committed in the name of peace again... :frown:
Still waiting for a better description of the attacker, this alone makes me suspicious.
This must be an attack by a middle aged Japanese woman. Who else ?
"Used to"? :frown:

People need to remember that not all attacks are terrorist events. I think we should wait for the facts to be known before jumping to conclusions.

However, I do admit that, the longer an attacker's race isn't mentioned by the media/police, the probability that they are white approaches zero. Similar to Godwin's law. I think there's a name for this "law", can't remember though.

coulter's law i think
There's no denying the regularity of these incidences guys.

The world's in a very dark place.
The world has always been a dark place, its only recently however that we've been importing the darkness into the West.

So then there's less darkness in those places? Your use of "importing" suggests the removal of darkness from one place to another. That's not the case. There's more darkness, it hasn't been transferred.

Although I think we've been in place of relative comfort over our childhoods, when you think about WW2 and then the Cold War..:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
What is the latest?
Original post by Twinpeaks
So then there's less darkness in those places? Your use of "importing" suggests the removal of darkness from one place to another. That's not the case. There's more darkness, it hasn't been transferred.

Although I think we've been in place of relative cover over our childhoods, when you think about WW2 and then the Cold War..:

The darkness has existed in other nations, only recently have our governments allowed those who form and create the darkness to enter our nations, bringing their darkness with them.
Toblerene withdrawal
Original post by The_Opinion
The darkness has existed in other nations, only recently have our governments allowed those who form and create the darkness to enter our nations, bringing their darkness with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37072847

Police said they could not exclude the possibility of a terrorist motive.

Police spokesman Hanspeter Kruesi told AFP news agency the suspected attacker was not of immigrant background.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending