The Student Room Group

September maths test for AS maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by OGGUS
I'm going to do A2 and As level further maths what do you recommend?

Id say start revising from day 1. Its important that you know the content in and out and practice is the biggest factor as grade boundaries are high and a small error like putting a minus sign somewhere just because you forgot to cross through it to make a plus in a rush will cost you when you do pages of working for only a few marks. Id say consolidate each lesson and topic and begin past papers for each module e.g C1 as soon as you finish it. Always do questions that you dont understand and challenge you. Physicsandmathstutor is a website that is a goldmine for questions and markschemes. For A2 topics make sure to read ahead of the class if you want top grades as there isn't enough time to master it just in class.Use your frees wisely,it may be a pain at first but by January mocks you will be rewarded and very strong at maths. Went from a C at AS to an A* in jan mocks (c3)
Reply 21
Original post by TSRPAV
Id say start revising from day 1. Its important that you know the content in and out and practice is the biggest factor as grade boundaries are high and a small error like putting a minus sign somewhere just because you forgot to cross through it to make a plus in a rush will cost you when you do pages of working for only a few marks. Id say consolidate each lesson and topic and begin past papers for each module e.g C1 as soon as you finish it. Always do questions that you dont understand and challenge you. Physicsandmathstutor is a website that is a goldmine for questions and markschemes. For A2 topics make sure to read ahead of the class if you want top grades as there isn't enough time to master it just in class.Use your frees wisely,it may be a pain at first but by January mocks you will be rewarded and very strong at maths. Went from a C at AS to an A* in jan mocks (c3)

I'm also scared I'm going to get a D grade because I was sick in my Core 2 exam and it was hard in general and the core 1 went a bit bad. S1 was easy so pretty much aced that.
When did you do your a-levels and what did you get an what exam Board did you do?
(edited 7 years ago)
I started learning fp1 before c1 (I'm halfway through) ; should I atop and start from c1 as it's like a stepping stone to fp1 or should I finish fp1 then do c1 (which probably I will find easier as I've done fp1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by AdeptDz
I started learning fp1 before c1 (I'm halfway through) ; should I atop and start from c1 as it's like a stepping stone to fp1 or should I finish fp1 then do c1 (which probably I will find easier as I've done fp1)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say it doesn't really matter, FP1 introduces 'new' maths that you haven't seen previously and C1 is practically extended GCSE maths.
Original post by Nowen
I would say it doesn't really matter, FP1 introduces 'new' maths that you haven't seen previously and C1 is practically extended GCSE maths.

Okay, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
[QUOTE=OGGUS;66914492]I'm also scared I'm going to get a D grade because I was sick in my Core 2 exam and it was hard in general and the core 1 went a bit bad. S1 was easy so pretty much aced that.
When did you do your a-levels and what did you get an what exam Board did you do?

So I literally just finished A2 maths and I almost know what I've got in each paper from the unofficial schemes and discussing answers and questions with teachers. I sat both all of AS and A2 maths this year as I learnt AS last year but got B,C,D in c1,c2 and s1(think I got like 55 ums in S1) aha but I worked my butt of over summer and all the way throughout A2 and I'm pretty sure I got 85ums in c1,85ums in c2,about 55-60ums in s1(didn't even look at it for a year cos it makes little difference as I'm good at other modules) then about 80-90ums in m1 as the paper was odd this year,debates on which way boundaries will swing.c3 I got 80-85 ums as again paper was strange and people found it insanely hard or piss easy. c4 I'm gutted that I made a rookie mistake on a 2 marker and couldn't do the last part of vectors but after analysing that paper it appears to be about 65-67 marks which is again about 85-90ums dependant on boundaries as people found it a nice paper :smile: wish the papers were more difficult as I appear to have made most of my mistakes by rushing as I found the questions were not indepth, hence if they were harder then boundaries would be lower and I doubt I'd make mistakes as id work more carefully :frown: exam board Edexcel
Reply 26
Original post by TSRPAV
So I literally just finished A2 maths and I almost know what I've got in each paper from the unofficial schemes and discussing answers and questions with teachers. I sat both all of AS and A2 maths this year as I learnt AS last year but got B,C,D in c1,c2 and s1(think I got like 55 ums in S1) aha but I worked my butt of over summer and all the way throughout A2 and I'm pretty sure I got 85ums in c1,85ums in c2,about 55-60ums in s1(didn't even look at it for a year cos it makes little difference as I'm good at other modules) then about 80-90ums in m1 as the paper was odd this year,debates on which way boundaries will swing.c3 I got 80-85 ums as again paper was strange and people found it insanely hard or piss easy. c4 I'm gutted that I made a rookie mistake on a 2 marker and couldn't do the last part of vectors but after analysing that paper it appears to be about 65-67 marks which is again about 85-90ums dependant on boundaries as people found it a nice paper :smile: wish the papers were more difficult as I appear to have made most of my mistakes by rushing as I found the questions were not indepth, hence if they were harder then boundaries would be lower and I doubt I'd make mistakes as id work more carefully :frown: exam board Edexcel

So your getting like a B/C?
What are your universities requirements?
Reply 27
Nope man it will be A/B as if you take the minimum of what I said you just miss the A grade but I harshly self marked myself and didn't include
Method markings. Plus that was just for
Minimum. I need AAA
Reply 28
Original post by TSRPAV
Yes i am aaaaahhh Need an A but looking at unofficial schemes and harshly marking myself as well as using last years boundaries i would be 2 UMS of an A :////// BUT this is cos when i did S1 last year i got a low D in it which has dragged my overall grade down.

i'm sure you'll get your A !! :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by skye99
i'm sure you'll get your A !! :smile:

Lol got a B and JUSSSST missed the A :frown: dammm the high grade boundaries and silly mistakes (c4 and m1 im looking at you)
Reply 30
Original post by TSRPAV
Nope man it will be A/B as if you take the minimum of what I said you just miss the A grade but I harshly self marked myself and didn't include
Method markings. Plus that was just for
Minimum. I need AAA

if you don't mind me asking what uni are wanting to go to ? And what do you want to study there ? :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by skye99
if you don't mind me asking what uni are wanting to go to ? And what do you want to study there ? :smile:

Got into Swansea which i had as insurance to study mechanical engineering. Like the uni so im not too disheartened :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest