The Student Room Group

Advice please! - 2 gap years?

Hey,

So I'm thinking of applying to medicine in the future, and am considering the possibility of taking 2 years out after S6 (Scotland).
My thinking is that medicine is such an intense course I'd be able to 'relax' for a bit before launching back into studying!
(Plans - working earns a bit of cash, volunteering abroad)

Did anyone do anything similar or am I totally crazy?

:smile::smile::smile::smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jennyms26
Hey,

So I'm thinking of applying to medicine in the future, and am considering the possibility of taking 2 years out after S6 (Scotland).
My thinking is that medicine is such an intense course I'd be able to 'relax' for a bit before launching back into studying!

funny enough, I'm exactly thinking the same thing. I've just finished S6 and studying the ukcat atm, but I keep telling my parents that I would like a whole year of just working, travelling and finding myself. I dont see whats wrong with it cause its not like your grades would go out of date. if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?
Hey,

Hi
I am taking a gap year and then, hopefully, apply to medicine, if my grades are good. But I think you can learn a lot and grow as a person. I am working as a healthcare assistant and then volunteering in a hospice in England. I do want to travel abroad at the end of my gap year.
Reply 3
Original post by Optimistsan98
Hi
I am taking a gap year and then, hopefully, apply to medicine, if my grades are good. But I think you can learn a lot and grow as a person. I am working as a healthcare assistant and then volunteering in a hospice in England. I do want to travel abroad at the end of my gap year.

have u started studying for the ukcat?
Original post by PND98
have u started studying for the ukcat?

Yes I have. I did take the ukcat last year, but I only got 635 so I know where I need to improve.
Reply 5
Hey,

Absolutely nothing wrong with 2 gap years. I've done similar - few years off working. Your plans sound good!

Just bear in mind that no application is guaranteed to succeed, even if you have achieved grades. So your chosen 2 years could turn into more than that in the event that your application(s) were not successful.

To combat that, I'd think about applying for a deferred entry after your first gap year?

Main thing - do what feels right for you! Not what you feel pressured into doing from peers/family/friends.
Reply 6
Yes I have. I did take the ukcat last year, but I only got 635 so I know where I need to improve.

same i did it last year as well, completely messed up. when is ur ukcat? i have mine on the 31st but i still feel like that enough time for me in order to get a good score.
Original post by PND98
same i did it last year as well, completely messed up. when is ur ukcat? i have mine on the 31st but i still feel like that enough time for me in order to get a good score.

Oh good luck! My ukcat is 4th October loool. How are you feeling for results though? What are you doing in your gap year?
Reply 8
Oh good luck! My ukcat is 4th October loool. How are you feeling for results though? What are you doing in your gap year?

lucky you haa. i'm a scottish student so i got my results last Tuesday. Gonna do 2 weeks of work experience before the application deadline. then finish my d of e gold physical and residential. Get a job as a healthcare assistant and then at the end of my gap year just travel loads. wbu??
Original post by PND98
lucky you haa. i'm a scottish student so i got my results last Tuesday. Gonna do 2 weeks of work experience before the application deadline. then finish my d of e gold physical and residential. Get a job as a healthcare assistant and then at the end of my gap year just travel loads. wbu??

Haha yeah, I pushed my ukcat as late as possible. Oh I hope your results went well. I did 1 week work experience in a hospice, already. I got a healthcare assistant job starting from September. Same I wanna travel as well. What UNIs are u planning to apply to?
Reply 10
Haha yeah, I pushed my ukcat as late as possible. Oh I hope your results went well. I did 1 week work experience in a hospice, already. I got a healthcare assistant job starting from September. Same I wanna travel as well. What UNIs are u planning to apply to?

i was quite happy with my results. It was a huge relief haha. Im sticking with the scottish unis, so st andrews, aberdeen, dundee and edinburgh. wbu?
Original post by PND98
i was quite happy with my results. It was a huge relief haha. Im sticking with the scottish unis, so st andrews, aberdeen, dundee and edinburgh. wbu?

I am so scared for Thursday next week. Hopefully I will be relieved as well! I'm thinking about kings college London and Southampton. Not sure about the other two
Reply 12
I am so scared for Thursday next week. Hopefully I will be relieved as well! I'm thinking about kings college London and Southampton. Not sure about the other two

good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine. What a-levels did u take?
Original post by PND98
good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine. What a-levels did u take?

Thank you! I took biology, chemistry and maths. Nothing special lol
Reply 14
Thank you! I took biology, chemistry and maths. Nothing special lol[/QUO
which subject did u find the most tricky? for me advanced higher chem was so much harder than the bio lol
[QUOTE="PND98;66917612"]
Thank you! I took biology, chemistry and maths. Nothing special lol[/QUO
which subject did u find the most tricky? for me advanced higher chem was so much harder than the bio lol

Yes definitely chem was harder than bio. Bio is just lots of information to memorise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending