The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rookie cookie
Hoping low grade boundaries for ocr economics and edexcel geography! :frown:

Heard the science papers were hard this year- OCR biology!

They were indeed.
They were also new spec papers so of course they will have low marks.
I just want other people's views just to confirm my suspicions.
Original post by mgill17
I doubted they'd be giving people places yet...they have to look through everything but people on here have a fun hobby of trying to scare everyone and I can feel myself having a heart attack some time before Thursday...

omg when I got the tampons though it was so odd and unexpected ffs ucas...

I remember it was the day before Oxford sent out the letters for interview outcomes, and UCAS decided it was a marvellous time to send out a load of emails about job/apprenticeship things in Oxford or something ridiculous like that: half the applicants who got the emails spent the rest of that day having heart attacks!
Original post by marioman
Don't panic! No e-mail for me and I'm 100% certain I met mine.

Original post by emiloujess
@PQ

Some people seem to have got an email from UCAS stating "now your place is confirmed it's time to get ready for uni life"... and then says about bank accounts. Was it sent out by mistake or...? Sorry for tagging you but you're the only person I know of who would be able to answer!

UCAS usually send out a bunch of spam email this weekend.

It used to have information about clearing and get everyone in a panic that they'd failed.

Sounds like they've changed the wording to something more positive and gone to far the other way.

Those emails are money makers for UCAS. Companies pay extra to be in that email.

There were 3 breaches of the embargo with Scottish results and UCAS have been constantly nagging universities about breaches before the A levels came in. They won't be sending out anything that breaches it themselves.

If nothing else it's too early for UCAS to know places are confirmed. Sat/Sun is all technical and initial decisions. Most universities won't update UCAS with decisions until Monday afternoon at the earliest.
feel like I'm part of history now that I've witnessed some of you guys' clerical errors lmao. now I can finally be one of those people that are always like "yeah I knew someone that accidentally got a welcome email. it's really rare but it happens once in a blue moon. *smug face*"

now only wishing it happened to me *sigh*
Reply 4125
Original post by PQ

It used to have information about clearing and get everyone in a panic that they'd failed.

Sounds like they've changed the wording to something more positive and gone to far the other way.

Those emails are money makers for UCAS. Companies pay extra to be in that email.

There were 3 breaches of the embargo with Scottish results and UCAS have been constantly nagging universities about breaches before the A levels came in. They won't be sending out anything that breaches it themselves.

If nothing else it's too early for UCAS to know places are confirmed. Sat/Sun is all technical and initial decisions. Most universities won't update UCAS with decisions until Monday afternoon at the earliest.

3 breaches?! Where do you find this out.

And those emails are really annoying then!!! I haven't signed up to them but I'd prefer clearing.
Had a letter this morning from student finance (Wales) with information regarding the exact dates I'll receive my loans throughout the academic year, as well as a sheet of paper with barcodes on it to give to the uni during enrolment . I haven't had my results yet so should I take this as a good sign or is it just a generic letter everyone gets even if their place is yet to be confirmed?
Original post by PQ

Thank you (and sorry for tagging you so much :frown: )
Original post by Lowriellenn
Had a letter this morning from student finance (Wales) with information regarding the exact dates I'll receive my loans throughout the academic year, as well as a sheet of paper with barcodes on it to give to the uni during enrolment . I haven't had my results yet so should I take this as a good sign or is it just a generic letter everyone gets even if their place is yet to be confirmed?

Yh generic unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
3 breaches?! Where do you find this out.

And those emails are really annoying then!!! I haven't signed up to them but I'd prefer clearing.

UCAS communications to universities:smile:

Original post by Lowriellenn

It's a generic letter student finance have no access to decisions.
Reply 4130
Original post by emiloujess
@PQ

Some people seem to have got an email from UCAS stating "now your place is confirmed it's time to get ready for uni life"... and then says about bank accounts. Was it sent out by mistake or...? Sorry for tagging you but you're the only person I know of who would be able to answer!

There are lots of scam emails around at the moment. There have been cases of people being tricked into losing their student finance money. I'm sure everyone here is sensible enough but it's worth being wary
Reply 4131
Original post by PQ

Ohhhh so you don't know who the breaches came from? How would they even be found out?
Original post by PQ

I'm guessing you work for a university or something? If so, which one? Would you even be allowed to disclose that information?

(sorry for so many questions lol)
How come UCAS is so strict about unis releasing results early? Has it got something to do with clearing?
Original post by MessyEffy
I'm guessing you work for a university or something? If so, which one? Would you even be allowed to disclose that information?

(sorry for so many questions lol)

Yes I work for a university. But I am not on TSR as an official rep or interesting in selling or promoting my employer (IMO they're good enough that I don't need to).

It's not appropriate for me to name drop - that's not why I'm here and I'm not here as part of my job.
Original post by target21859
How come UCAS is so strict about unis releasing results early? Has it got something to do with clearing?

It's because the exam boards are strict. UCAS and universities only get early access because the exam boards allow it. And the exam boards are adamant that it is in the best interest of their candidates to get their results from exam centres (where there is support if there are problems or things didn't go as hoped).
Original post by PQ
It's because the exam boards are strict. UCAS and universities only get early access because the exam boards allow it. And the exam boards are adamant that it is in the best interest of their candidates to get their results from exam centres (where there is support if there are problems or things didn't go as hoped).

Oh didn't know it was because of the exam boards. I find their reason to be a bit stupid. Surely if you get accepted into your firm and your uni tells you so before results day then I don't see the problem.
Original post by the.chantele
Anyone who has done AQA Psychology AS, which paper did you think was easy?

I preferred the Unit 1 paper, what about you? I got so confused with the excitatory/inhibitory stuff on unit 2 paper 😶
not long now.
Original post by target21859
Oh didn't know it was because of the exam boards. I find their reason to be a bit stupid. Surely if you get accepted into your firm and your uni tells you so before results day then I don't see the problem.

The problem is for the 1/3 of people who don't get told that.

Quick Reply

Latest