The Student Room Group

Access course

I am so nervous and so scared to start my access to social course this september. I am so scared that I am thinking of leaving it till next september.

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

What are you scared about?
Original post by Tiger Rag
What are you scared about?

Failing, walking out when the tuff gets going lol.
Feeling the same mate
Original post by Craig Beardsley
I am so nervous and so scared to start my access to social course this september. I am so scared that I am thinking of leaving it till next september.

Please help!

I was in ur position last year but it was worth every minute and I'm so glad I completed it. A few weeks in u'll wonder why u were ever nervous. Get stuck in and enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You'll only feel the same next September if you defer it. Every single person on an Access course is bricking it! Stick with it, don't quit. Graft and put the effort in and make it something to be proud off :smile:

If you stay in the deferring mind set then you'll never grow and push yourself to achieve your maximum, bite the bullet mate and do it!
Reply 6
Go for it! Don't let nerves and doubt stop you, commit and just go with the flow. I started sept last year and I start uni in 4 weeks!
Original post by mssmuppet
I was in ur position last year but it was worth every minute and I'm so glad I completed it. A few weeks in u'll wonder why u were ever nervous. Get stuck in and enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course did you study?

Please help!

I think it's normal to be nervous as most mature students are sacrificing something when returning to education, whether it be reducing hours at work or less time with family, plus the thought of all the competition with A level students at uni.

Just think of the benefits of completing the course, and as posters above said, if you don't start now you'll carry on deferring. I was meant to start my access course in the 2014/15 academic year but have been putting it off, I'm finally starting this year and can't wait :smile:
What course did you study?

I did access to science. Was really worried I wouldn't be able to keep up too as science wasn't my thing back in the school days lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did access to science. Was really worried I wouldn't be able to keep up too as science wasn't my thing back in the school days lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting access to science soon, how did you find it? Which subjects did you study? And finally how intense was it?
Original post by ApplyYourself
I'm starting access to science soon, how did you find it? Which subjects did you study? And finally how intense was it?

I honestly really enjoyed it once I got into the swing of things

Sept to Dec was quite simple and didn't feel any pressure. Studyed maths, communications (english), IT, practical skills (mixture of science) and a careers class. With exams in Nov and Jan.

From Jan to May studied Physics, Chem, Biology and Lab skills (mixture of science experiments). First month or so wasn't too bad but got intense around Easter. I found the work all very doable but there were numerous assignments all due in at the same time. Also sometimes I still had assignments to do while I was studying for upcoming exams. So I would definately advise to get started on the assignment as soon as they are given out. Exams in May.

Theres alot of support from the tutors and classmates too which is great. I found it a great course and so glad I finally went and did it. All the best to you and any other questions just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I honestly really enjoyed it once I got into the swing of things

Sept to Dec was quite simple and didn't feel any pressure. Studyed maths, communications (english), IT, practical skills (mixture of science) and a careers class. With exams in Nov and Jan.

From Jan to May studied Physics, Chem, Biology and Lab skills (mixture of science experiments). First month or so wasn't too bad but got intense around Easter. I found the work all very doable but there were numerous assignments all due in at the same time. Also sometimes I still had assignments to do while I was studying for upcoming exams. So I would definately advise to get started on the assignment as soon as they are given out. Exams in May.

Theres alot of support from the tutors and classmates too which is great. I found it a great course and so glad I finally went and did it. All the best to you and any other questions just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

How well did you do, if you don't mind me asking? That was a great write up thanks :smile:
Original post by Al.F
How well did you do, if you don't mind me asking? That was a great write up thanks :smile:

No problem.

I got 91%. I know some grade in distinctions etc but ours was percentage. 75% and above is the equivalent of distinctions or A's from what i can remember. Although i guess it could be different for each college.
Reply 14
No problem.

I got 91%. I know some grade in distinctions etc but ours was percentage. 75% and above is the equivalent of distinctions or A's from what i can remember. Although i guess it could be different for each college.

Well done!

Any luck with uni?
Original post by Al.F
Well done!

Any luck with uni?

Yes i got accepted to my first choice so next month I will be a student nurse :O

And now I'm a nervous wreck (and full of excitement) all over again just like the OP but it will all be worth it in the end.
Hey, I'm a newby...so please bare with me lol

I was starting my Access to Nursing course this time 2 years ago.....And yes It was very daunting!! I remember on my first day feeling like I had stepped onto the set of hollyoaks!! I was thinking "This is not me! What are you doing!"... 2 years later I'm getting ready for 2nd year of Nursing and I can almost say I am half way there!
While I was at college doing the Access course, it was clear the support was there us. They constantly would remind us of this and at the end of the day, the lecturers want the student to pass at the end of the year.
So notepads to the ready! And good luck :smile:
Original post by hfenwick
Go for it! Don't let nerves and doubt stop you, commit and just go with the flow. I started sept last year and I start uni in 4 weeks!

Congrats!

What course will you be studying at uni and what university are you attending?
Reply 18
Failing, walking out when the tuff gets going lol.

When I started my access course I had horrible nightmares of me getting thrown out of the lecture halls because I was too dumb. It really knocked me, I nearly dropped out. My lecturer thought I didn't have the confidence to go through with the course and put me in front of a panel to discuss if I could do it. I fought tooth and nail to stay on that course. Fast forward to now, nine months later, 45 distinctions and 1 university place bagged.

YOU CAN DO IT! :smile:
Original post by Kittydo
When I started my access course I had horrible nightmares of me getting thrown out of the lecture halls because I was too dumb. It really knocked me, I nearly dropped out. My lecturer thought I didn't have the confidence to go through with the course and put me in front of a panel to discuss if I could do it. I fought tooth and nail to stay on that course. Fast forward to now, nine months later, 45 distinctions and 1 university place bagged.

YOU CAN DO IT! :smile:

WOW!
CONGRATS!

What course did you study and what university are you attending?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending