The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by francis_e_c
Should've. It read as though you were trying to show superiority or something, and that's coming from a fellow aspiring lawyer. :wink:

yeah upon reading it I totally get that, was just trying to make a point about how A-levels are and always should be more respected than BTEC's.
Original post by ExoIceCream99
Omg awesome! Are you going to go into criminal law? (Murders, rape cases, etc)

Thanks! I mean, I won't really know until I've studied all the different areas of law at university - but now, with my naïve opinion, I want to go into commercial law at a city firm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sahil19
yeah upon reading it I totally get that, was just trying to make a point about how A-levels are and always should be more respected than BTEC's.

Yeah, it's fine - I understand lmao. What made you want to go into law?
Random question, but why does the fact that you're an aspiring lawyer think that it makes your opinion more credible? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

He didn't say his opinion was more credible.
Reply 944
This may be a silly question, but when uni starts do they like teach from scratch and everyone starts in the same boat or do they just expect you to have some prior knowledge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! I mean, I won't really know until I've studied all the different areas of law at university - but now, with my naïve opinion, I want to go into commercial law at a city firm.

Oh okay fair enough ~
Yeah, it's fine - I understand lmao. What made you want to go into law?

Always been a desire of mine, I relish the idea of justice being upheld in any case. Haven't done the degree yet so not sure what I want to go in but coporate and commerical law appeals to me the most; working at somewhere like Clifford Chance or Hogan & Lovells.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OwaisB
This may be a silly question, but when uni starts do they like teach from scratch and everyone starts in the same boat or do they just expect you to have some prior knowledge ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scratch of course. Unless you're studying maths. They're not going to be like, "What is 1+1?"
Original post by sahil19
Always been a desire of mine, I relish the idea of justice being upheld in any case. Haven't done the degree yet so not sure what I want to go in but coporate and commerical law appeals to me the most; working at somewhere like Chance & Clifford or Hogan & Lovells.

It started for me after my auntie's boyfriend was up in court, and I was wanting to do medicine at the time. Then, watching it, I was like damn - these people are badasses. I researched it more and bam! Ha, same here! Although I'd much rather Linklaters or Slaughter & May. That is, if I want to become a solicitor. I'm not quite sure yet. The Bar is so much more competitive though, and I love competition - but the field is competitive enough as it is.
He didn't say his opinion was more credible.

No, but that's what it appeared like to me. Why else mention it?
It started for me after my auntie's boyfriend was up in court, and I was wanting to do medicine at the time. Then, watching it, I was like damn - these people are badasses. I researched it more and bam! Ha, same here! Although I'd much rather Linklaters or Slaughter & May. That is, if I want to become a solicitor. I'm not quite sure yet. The Bar is so much more competitive though, and I love competition - but the field is competitive enough as it is.

Yeah it is a very congested degree, my back ups are a politician or in the economics field in a bank like Merill Lynch or Goldman Sachs. Being a lawyer for a global bank would be incredible as well.
Original post by sahil19
Yeah it is a very congested degree, my back ups are a politician or in the economics field in a bank like Merill Lynch or Goldman Sachs. Being a lawyer for a global bank would be incredible as well.

Back ups? I know nothing about those fields, but aren't they just as competitive? I mean politics maybe not as much, I'm not sure, but Goldman Sachs is a HUGE company.
No, but that's what it appeared like to me. Why else mention it?

Because me and the other person also want to be lawyers
To help some of you,
I thought I would get 4A*s and 3As and 2Bs on top of my 2A*S I already got.

The marking is far more lenient than you think.
To put it this way, I got 11A*s and I never thought it was possible.

Good luck!
Because me and the other person also want to be lawyers

And he mentioned it prior to posting his opinion. Doesn't said to be said every time you post.

What made you want to go into law? :smile:
Original post by nwmyname
To help some of you,
I thought I would get 4A*s and 3As and 2Bs on top of my 2A*S I already got.

The marking is far more lenient than you think.
To put it this way, I got 11A*s and I never thought it was possible.

Good luck!

Wow congrats! Are these your iGCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Banking is very competitive it isn't really a fall back option unless its like middle office or back office (less pay, better offers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back ups? I know nothing about those fields, but aren't they just as competitive? I mean politics maybe not as much, I'm not sure, but Goldman Sachs is a HUGE company.

My brother is a trader at Merill Lynch BoA, he's essentially stated that in the banking world it's not what you know, it's who you know. By backup I mean if I decide to do another degree in a year's time, which is highly unlikely but nothing is set in stone.
Original post by sahil19
True but they have to give some places to the BTEC kids, as an aspiring lawyer I think someone with ABB in respectable subjects is more qualified than a distinction in a BTEC..

Ah, I see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And he mentioned it prior to posting his opinion. Doesn't said to be said every time you post.

What made you want to go into law? :smile:

My step mum wanted to do it but had kids too early.

Latest