The Student Room Group

A levels vs Access to HE science.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wotcher
It might be doable, depending on how you organise your time. We were in college about twelve hours a week, and I probably should have spent an equal amount of time doing study at home, and a maybe a couple of hours extra a week when assignments were due.

well I was planning on doing 9-6 in the library everyday, So hopefully I'll be able to work part time :biggrin: how many hours a week did you usually put in outside of college?
Reply 41
Really not as much as I should. I did a lot of all-nighters. I get distracted very easily, so I'd just lose myself in reading. Ideally should have matched tbe college hours then do one extra per night for assignments, so I did three hours per day in college. Should have done another three hours writing up notes and reading, plus an extra hour per day for assignments. You might manage it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Wotcher
Really not as much as I should. I did a lot of all-nighters. I get distracted very easily, so I'd just lose myself in reading. Ideally should have matched tbe college hours then do one extra per night for assignments, so I did three hours per day in college. Should have done another three hours writing up notes and reading, plus an extra hour per day for assignments. You might manage it.

Well I guess I have enough free time to put over 40+ hours in a week, when I was in uni I used to pretty much wake up, eat, do work, gym bed. Kinda liked the routine tbh haha
Original post by gelplate
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting to do an access to HE science course. I am undecided whether to do A levels or the course. I've read some posts that say A levels are easier and some that say the Access is easier. So obviously to better my chances I would prefer to take the path of least resistance.

If I were to pick A levels it would be Biology/Chem and something else to fill up the space.

The requirements for the uni I want to go to are "Strong Science component required. Pass Access to HE Diploma with 45 credits at level 3 of which 30 level 3 credits must be at Distinction." or AAB to ABB

I'd like to hear from someone who has done both A levels and an access and which is harder. As I did A levels prior and was too immature and ended up doing badly.

Thanks.

What are you looking at doing at University? If there is more than one university you can apply to for that subject with Access then I would definitely recommend! I just completed access Science and really enjoyed it! A few years ago I did A-levels (although not science subjects) and personally preferred the fact you are treated more like an adult unlike at school.I feel universities are much more open to Access courses and as long as you can get the right number of modules and credits at your local college it is quicker than A-levels.
Reply 44
Original post by DangerousBox
What are you looking at doing at University? If there is more than one university you can apply to for that subject with Access then I would definitely recommend! I just completed access Science and really enjoyed it! A few years ago I did A-levels (although not science subjects) and personally preferred the fact you are treated more like an adult unlike at school.I feel universities are much more open to Access courses and as long as you can get the right number of modules and credits at your local college it is quicker than A-levels.

Leaning towards biology at the moment! How did you find the work load? :smile:
Access is a horrific stressful tense ten month experience - BUT it's very specifically aimed at getting you to university, the tutors are there to help you, your fellow mature students are a great source of strength and support and it takes half the time of A-Levels and is a far more streamlined course, you only learn what you will use in assignments and exams. I can't praise them enough.
Leaning towards biology at the moment! How did you find the work load? :smile:

Good choice, biology is awesome. I think access to science would be a really great idea then! Most people on my course got offers for Biology related subjects such as nursing, biosciences, Dietetics/nutrition, etc
The work load wasn't too bad but sometimes you are stretched for time. You either had exams coming up or coursework due in, and at the end of the year we had both due in a short space of time. I personally didn't work at the same time (my course was 3 days a week) but I think it paid off as I got Distinctions. If you are dedicated about it and work when you need to you will be fine. :badger:
Also a few people got 30 Distinctions + so it's certainly not impossible!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Good choice, biology is awesome. I think access to science would be a really great idea then! Most people on my course got offers for Biology related subjects such as nursing, biosciences, Dietetics/nutrition, etc
The work load wasn't too bad but sometimes you are stretched for time. You either had exams coming up or coursework due in, and at the end of the year we had both due in a short space of time. I personally didn't work at the same time (my course was 3 days a week) but I think it paid off as I got Distinctions. If you are dedicated about it and work when you need to you will be fine. :badger:
Also a few people got 30 Distinctions + so it's certainly not impossible!

Do you think you could of managed a 12 hour job?
Do you think you could of managed a 12 hour job?

A few people do still work part time while doing the course. My friend did and got into her chosen university. 12 hours isn't tooooo many, as long as you are organised I wouldn't think there would be a problem about you getting good grades :smile:
Reply 49
A few people do still work part time while doing the course. My friend did and got into her chosen university. 12 hours isn't tooooo many, as long as you are organised I wouldn't think there would be a problem about you getting good grades :smile:

Let's hope for the best, it's only three 4 hour shifts so I can study before and after them. How many hours a week did you put into the course (out of college)
Let's hope for the best, it's only three 4 hour shifts so I can study before and after them. How many hours a week did you put into the course (out of college)

Hmm, well I remember our tutor saying for each hour we do in class we should be doing 2 hours at home of our own study. So they reckon around 30 hours, but on average I probably did 20+? Some weeks you will do a little more when an assignment or exam is due and others less. It also depends what sort of learner you are, some people don't need to do lots of extra studying to understand the topic and some do~
Every holiday/ half term I did work experience which meant I didn't do much in those times at all.
Reply 51
Hmm, well I remember our tutor saying for each hour we do in class we should be doing 2 hours at home of our own study. So they reckon around 30 hours, but on average I probably did 20+? Some weeks you will do a little more when an assignment or exam is due and others less. It also depends what sort of learner you are, some people don't need to do lots of extra studying to understand the topic and some do~
Every holiday/ half term I did work experience which meant I didn't do much in those times at all.

I guess i'll just have to see how it goes and quit if needs be
Reply 52

Also how doable is "45 credits at level 3 of which 30 level 3 credits must be at Distinction " . I think I need 15 for chem and 15 for bio
Also how doable is "45 credits at level 3 of which 30 level 3 credits must be at Distinction " . I think I need 15 for chem and 15 for bio

45 credits at Level 3 depends on whether the access course at your college does ALL Level 3 or not (mine was, but I believe some have a small amount of level 2 included).
I got 15 Chem and 15 Bio Distinctions at level 3, so it's doable :smile:
There is always a mixed bunch of Distinction, Merit and Pass people, but that's the same at A-level. The access bio and chem will be the same as A-level and I used A-level books to study, so there is always plenty of reading material to help.
The only major issue i had when it came to applying is one Uni wanted (30 Distinctions) but required more Maths credits than my access course offered. However if they don't specify how many for each subject it just means 30 Distinctions. If you are unsure contact admissions at the uni's you are applying to check.
Also i noticed you mentioned Nottingham, which is where I got my offer from :smile: I'm sure you'll be able to do it, and it's good to ask questions now~
Original post by Livvyxo
Access is a horrific stressful tense ten month experience - BUT it's very specifically aimed at getting you to university, the tutors are there to help you, your fellow mature students are a great source of strength and support and it takes half the time of A-Levels and is a far more streamlined course, you only learn what you will use in assignments and exams. I can't praise them enough.

Its a 35 week course
I would do an Access course. I did A Levels and admissions tutors at one uni thought it was unusual, but I think having a traditional qualification was a factor in receiving an offer for another.

The only reason why I think Access is easier is because you receive credits based on a number of assessment methods:class work, group work, discussions, lab reports, experiment write ups, timed exams, presentations, and essays.

You're spreading your risk considerably. My sister did an Access course and she found it easy, but when she did GCSEs (which overlapped in content, but she needed GCSEs specifically for her chosen career), found it harder than the Access content and methods of assessment.*

If you're balancing work with studying, leaving everything to exams isn't easy. I had to go to work during exam periods which stretched five weeks for me - having ten days off over 5 weeks = only two days off/week which really isn't enough. I only took time off if my exam clashed with my work hours, not to study so bear that in mind.
Reply 56
Im going back to uni to do a MSc but..... I have recently been a college lecturer teaching both A Levels and Access! If independent study, lots of academia, facts and minutiae, exams and subject depth is what you want/ need, do A Levels. Access is very intensive assignment-wise but if you keep on top of them as they come in, you should be fine. There are lots of essays, some presentations, maybe posters, some exams.... all different forms of assessment and as said above, if you fail an assignment you can resubmit it though it will be capped at a pass. Classes tend to be much bigger for Access (I had 2 in one A2 class and 45 in an Access group!). The quality of the Access course varies hugely on the college and the board (I have been at drastically differing organisations), and some tutors are more lenient than others. A levels are externally marked exams but internally marked coursework. Some colleges have a better reputation with HE institutions for Access, so you might get looked upon more favourably if you study at one college rather than another. I think Access is better geared towards returning learners, and often come with study skills elements, flexible lecture options, and start assuming next to nothing ( my first biology lecture intro started with Year 7 stuff that most of the adults had forgotten!). And I dont know who would ever say A Levels are easy or easier than Access. Nope. HTH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending