The Student Room Group

Short, fat and stuck

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sherlockfan
Im 4 foot 10 and weigh just over 60 kilos. No matter what I do I just seem to get fatter and fatter. Problem is that most sites say that in order to lose weight I have to eat no more than 1200 calories per day. I know I could never stick to that. Its less than what a child eats.
Why is life so unfair? Why do I have to be so short and fat? :frown: :mad:

According to the rules on TDEE and changing your calorie intake, you should try to fit a maximum of 1500 calories into you per day, assuming you live a sedentary lifestyle. Take a look at what's written here, it might help. Also I assumed you were 18 for the calculation, feel free to change that if you want to. If you REALLY want to think about getting in proper shape and start some basic bodybuilding, send me a private message and I can help get you started. I recently started a diet to gain a lot of weight and start trying to build some muscle mass.

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=18&lbs=132&in=58&act=1.2&f=1
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
You have crap discipline when it comes to eating and most other things such as exercise and a work ethic. luckily for you, most people are fat, because most people are hopeless.

So you're not alone.

Charming.
Original post by SophieSmall
And you know I have no experience of it....how now?

It works because you're eating less calories. Actually less than 1000 a day from diet chef meals alone. Some fruit and veg are low calorie. But others if you're not careful can really up your calories if you're adding them and stall or even stop weight loss depending on how much you add bringing you over or at your TDEE. And if you're not counting those calories how can you know?

A few grams is not going to tell you if you are steadily losing weight or not. You can pee out 200 grams in 60 seconds. until you've shifted a couple of KG you won't know for sure if you're losing fat or if you're seeing normal fluctuations in weight.

Well have you tried it?
Isn't eating less calories kind of the whole point?
Original post by Anonymous
Charming.

Should have I prettied up my words instead, so that the OP would feel better?
Original post by sahra667
correct me if i am wrong but a slim waist and thick thighs is attractive in todays society

My apologies, I misread.
Well have you tried it?
Isn't eating less calories kind of the whole point?

I've lived with someone who used it. And it's also not remotely hard to understand what it is and how it works by looking at their website. And yes it works if you're eating less calories than your body uses (as with any successful weight loss plan). My entire point was that you (hopefully) don't just eat the diet chef food and have to add more. And if you don't know how many extra calories you are adding to your meal plan how can you know if they are eating the right amount of calories to lose weight? I've asked this I think 3 times now and you've still not answered.

My point is that diet chef alone is not sustainable if once you come off it you don't know how much in terms of calories you are eating or should be eating. This is why a lot of people regain weight. They finish their meal plan or whatever diet they were on, go back to old eating habits end up eating more calories than their TDEE a day and gain weight. It's really very simple maths.

I'm not trying to bring you down or saying using diet chef is completely wrong, of course it's not. It can be a good tool if used properly. I'm just trying to get you to think about the long term. What happens when you stop using diet chef? Will you know how to continue to lose weight or maintain at your goal?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Should have I prettied up my words instead, so that the OP would feel better?

It's just very unconstructive, that's all.

Try being polite. That always works wonders for people.
Original post by TheNeutralizer
My apologies, I misread.

im not offende and you didnt have to apolgise but ur mad rude:biggrin:
I've lived with someone who used it. And it's also not remotely hard to understand what it is and how it works by looking at their website. And yes it works if you're eating less calories than your body uses (as with any successful weight loss plan). My entire point was that you (hopefully) don't just eat the diet chef food and have to add more. And if you don't know how many extra calories you are adding to your meal plan how can you know if they are eating the right amount of calories to lose weight?

I've asked this I think 3 times now and you've still not answered.

My point is that diet chef alone is not sustainable if once you come off it you don't know how much in terms of calories you are eating or should be eating. This is why a lot of people regain weight. They finish their meal plan or whatever diet they were one, go back to old eating habits end up eating more calories than their TDEE a day and gain weight. It's really very simple maths.

I'm not trying to bring you down or saying using diet chef is completely wrong, of course it not it can be a good tool if used properly. I'm just trying to get you to think about the long term. What happens when you stop using diet chef? Will you know how to continue to lose weight or maintain at your goal?

You're supposed to add fruit and veg to the meals, and I also add low fat Greek yogurt. As long as I stick to that there's really no need to count calories.
Im no cook but I guess I'll try some of the recipes they suggest in the booklet when I'm not ordering from them anymore. It does teach you a lot about portion control.
You're supposed to add fruit and veg to the meals, and I also add low fat Greek yogurt. As long as I stick to that there's really no need to count calories.
Im no cook but I guess I'll try some of the recipes they suggest in the booklet when I'm not ordering from them anymore. It does teach you a lot about portion control.

I know. I already said you're supposed to.

And like I said, some fruit and veg are low calories and there is little point in counting their calories. Others not so much and can take you over your weight loss calorie goal if you're not careful. And if you don't know how many calories are in things how can you know if you're going over or not?. Which was my point.
im losing weight at the moment and its not by calorie couting i'll tell ya that. literally I work out as much as i can in my free time after work or whatever and slowly your body may crave healthy food and thats the thing i have. i used to drool over burgers and nuggets and chocolate but after hitting the gym and seeing progress and having others who i havent seen in 3 months go WOAH UVE LOST WEIGHT makes me motivated to eating healthy.

pop up if u wanna talk

And like I said, some fruit and veg are low calories and there is little point in counting their calories. Others not so much and can take you over your weight loss calorie goal if you're not careful. And if you don't know how many calories are in things how can you know if you're going over or not?. Which was my point.

What fruit and veg are you talking about? I only eat bananas, grapes, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, things like that. Calories aren't the be and end all, it's about what's in them.

Sorry I don't know why it went anon.
I've yet to hear of a fruit or a veg that makes you fat.
You don't need cardio to lose fat. I carb cycle and hit weights and lost weight. Too much cardio is bad imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
What fruit and veg are you talking about? I only eat bananas, grapes, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, things like that. Calories aren't the be and end all, it's about what's in them.

Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, avocados, raisins ect. Depending on how much you eat they can really up your calories. I could easily add 300 extra calories of sweet potatoes in a meal and not think anything of it because when you look at it it doesn't seem like that much food. But that'd be enough to take me from my 1200 calories a day goal to almost my maintenance at 1500.

Might want to watch out on the bananas if you eat more than 1 or 2 a day they're 100 or more calories each depending on size.

In terms of just weight loss calories are the be all and end all. That does not necessarily mean you have to go mad and obsessively count them (just be aware of generally how much you're eating). Not a single shred of scientific research has found anything other than being at a calorie deficit to cause weight loss. To say calories aren't key in weight loss goes against basic science.

Of course for general health other things need to be considered like a varied healthy diet.
Sorry I don't know why it went anon.
I've yet to hear of a fruit or a veg that makes you fat.

I think this show part of the problem of how you've struggled to lose weight for so long. You have a very skewed view of how it all works. Eating certain foods doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories does, whether those calories come from fruit, veg, meat or junk food. It's the excess calories which are then stored as fat. Which is why it's important to have at least a vague idea of how many calories you're eating, especially as like me you're smaller as that leaves less room for error as your TDEE will be lower than say a 6ft guy who can make a couple of mistakes here and there and still be eating below maintenance to lose weight
(edited 7 years ago)
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes, avocados, raisins ect. Depending on how much you eat they can really up your calories. I could easily add 300 extra calories of sweet potatoes in a meal and not think anything of it because when you look at it it doesn't seem like that much food. But that'd be enough to take me from my 1200 calories a day goal to almost my maintenance at 1500.

Might want to watch out on the bananas if you eat more than 1 or 2 a day they're 100 or more calories each depending on size.

In terms of just weight loss calories are the be all and end all. That does not necessarily mean you have to count them (just be aware of generally how much you're eating). Not a single shred of scientific research has found anything other than being at a calorie deficit to cause weight loss. To say calories aren't key in weight loss goes against basic science.

Of course for general health other things need to be considered like a varied healthy diet.

I think this show parts of the problem of how you've struggled to lose weight for so long. You have a very skewed view of how it all works. Eating certain foods doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories does, whether those calories come from fruit, veg, meat or junk food. It's the excess calories which are ten stored as fat. Which is why it's important to have at least a vague idea of how many calories you're eating.

Sorry but I think you're the one that has a skewed view. I can eat a 100g bar of chocolate which is 500 calories, or I can eat a meal with fruit and veg with the same amount of calories, which do you think is going to be healthier?
There's a lot more to it than just calorie intake, if you can't see that you're blind.
Sorry but I think you're the one that has a skewed view. I can eat a 100g bar of chocolate which is 500 calories, or I can eat a meal with fruit and veg with the same amount of calories, which do you think is going to be healthier?
There's a lot more to it than just calorie intake, if you can't see that you're blind.

Please show me where I said anything about them being the same in terms of health. In fact I clearly said quite the opposite. I said in terms of weight calories are the only things that determine loss, gain or maintenance. Weight is a simple mathematic equation.

You appear to be reading what you want to read purely for argumentative sake. I've been beyond clear of what I am talking about. You are choosing not to read what I am saying properly.
Please show me where I said anything about them being the same in terms of health. In fact I clearly said quite the opposite. I said in terms of weight calories are the only things that determine loss, gain or maintenance. Weight is a simple mathematic equation.

You appear to be reading what you want to read purely for argumentative sake. I've been beyond clear of what I am talking about. You are choosing not to read what I am saying properly.

Clearly it's about a bit more than just weight though. Health and weight go hand in hand. According to your theory, I could just eat my daily allowance of calories in chocolate and that would be ok.
Dietchef do the maths for me, that's the whole point of it.
It's just very unconstructive, that's all.

Try being polite. That always works wonders for people.

Polite or not, you don't listen. Apparently it doesn't work wonders.
Clearly it's about a bit more than just weight though. Health and weight go hand in hand. According to your theory, I could just eat my daily allowance of calories in chocolate and that would be ok.
Dietchef do the maths for me, that's the whole point of it.

You'd lose weight eating just chocolate if you were under your TDEE, but it obviously wouldn't be healthy. But as I clearly said 3 posts ago "obviously in terms of health a varied healthy diet is important". So I'm really not sure why you are arguing against me. Are you just arguing for argument sake?

They're not doing the maths for the added food you're are eating on top of dietchef....that was my point. How many times do I have to say this? It's like talking to a brick wall.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest