The Student Room Group

How are honours calculated and applying before thesis submit?

Excuse me for this arguably clueless question, but I am just a continental European who will have to transfer academic scores to the UK system...would very much like to take a Masters in the UK.

So how are the required honors calculated? Are they:

- an average of several semesters´exam results?
- only the final exam result?
- ...and how does the grade given for a final thesis weigh in?

What I am trying to comprehend is whether I should strive to score the highest possible grades in all my courses, major and minor, throughout the undergrad program, or if I can think strategically and put more effort into the last year exams, a specialization and my thesis.

Which basically leads straight to the next question: if final exams and thesis evaluation is over at the end of june, will that leave enough time to apply for graduate studies to start in fall? At least the better universities probably require earlier applications, so what do people do? Apply in the middle of the final undergrad year, based on their exam grades so far and without knowing how their final and thesis will turn out? Or do they have to wait a year?

Thank you very much for explaining this to me, it is very much appreciated.
Original post by Hanse
Excuse me for this arguably clueless question, but I am just a continental European who will have to transfer academic scores to the UK system...would very much like to take a Masters in the UK.

What I am trying to comprehend is whether I should strive to score the highest possible grades in all my courses, major and minor, throughout the undergrad program, or if I can think strategically and put more effort into the last year exams, a specialization and my thesis.

Which basically leads straight to the next question: if final exams and thesis evaluation is over at the end of june, will that leave enough time to apply for graduate studies to start in fall? At least the better universities probably require earlier applications, so what do people do? Apply in the middle of the final undergrad year, based on their exam grades so far and without knowing how their final and thesis will turn out? Or do they have to wait a year?

UK universities will just take your final grade, however it was calculated by your undergrad university, and compare that with the quality expected. So, as a made up example, if in your national marking scheme you get a % final grade, however that is calculated UK universities will know that they require 90%+ or 80%+ or 50% + or whatever grade. Most internationally minded Universities will publish the grade equivalencies - Cambridge have a very comprehensive set of equivalencies, though they will be very high! But again, how it was calculated doesn't come into the mix.

For info, in the UK, most universities don't count the first year grades at all, and second year counts for 30-50% of the final grade, third year (average of exams and thesis) 50-70%, but there is no universal rule.

The normal process for a Masters application is to make it in the first term of your third year, ie Oct-Dec, but applications will usually be open for longer than that. You will be offered a place based on an offer of your final degree grade (a 2.1 usually). The same principle as our Undergrad entry - apply 9-12 months in advance and get an offer based on predicted grades, with everything confirmed in the few months before you start.
Reply 2
Original post by Hanse

Also you have to pass each of your modules, and not just the finals.
Reply 3
Thank you so much, I think I understand how it works now:

Study for the best final grade possible, but solely according to my undergrad universitys regulations > apply for graduate during third year with what I have to offer at that point > hopefully get accepted somewhere, based on an estimation of my expected final > fulfill that estimate and get the place OR lower grade and you lose the offer.

Correct?

(Does this mean there's people out there who had top offers at their hand but the wrong day/topic/teacher cut them just short of the required honours??? Outch...).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hanse

Study for the best final grade possible, but solely according to my undergrad universitys regulations > apply for graduate during third year with what I have to offer at that point > hopefully get accepted somewhere, based on an estimation of my expected final > fulfill that estimate and get the place OR lower grade and you lose the offer.

Correct?

(Does this mean there's people out there who had top offers at their hand but the wrong day/topic/teacher cut them just short of the required honours??? Outch...).

Yes and yes.
Original post by Hanse

To add to the excellent advice given so far, its quite common for universities to request a transcript- in the UK at least this has the results of every module studied as well as the overall results for each year.
Reply 6
Original post by Hanse

Correct?

There seems to be some confusion here. In order to apply for a UK honours degree, you need to meet the prequrisites, then you apply to the university which you think you have a chance of a getting a place with and b getting on at, then you apply, see if you get a place. Then assuming you do, you start studying there full time, typically three lectures a week with much more extra study expected in your own time, with tests either coursework or exam based, at the end of each semester, in the units you are taking, sometime with interim work expected throughout the course of the study. And it is only on the successful completion of this work for two years, where you have to pass (40% or above) all of the work in these first two years, before you come to your third year units, which take the burden of the marks. They did for my degree anyway. Degrees are very different from any thing that you have done earlier, in that you are expected to be a self motivated learner, seek out and read the reading materials, with little or no prompts from the academics!
Original post by john2054
There seems to be some confusion here. In order to apply for a UK honours degree, you need to meet the prequrisites, then you apply to the university which you think you have a chance of a getting a place with and b getting on at, then you apply, see if you get a place. Then assuming you do, you start studying there full time, typically three lectures a week with much more extra study expected in your own time, with tests either coursework or exam based, at the end of each semester, in the units you are taking, sometime with interim work expected throughout the course of the study. And it is only on the successful completion of this work for two years, where you have to pass (40% or above) all of the work in these first two years, before you come to your third year units, which take the burden of the marks. They did for my degree anyway. Degrees are very different from any thing that you have done earlier, in that you are expected to be a self motivated learner, seek out and read the reading materials, with little or no prompts from the academics!

This is the Postgrad forum and the OP was asking about the process for applying for a Masters degree.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
No confusion except yours. This is the Postgrad forum and the OP was asking about the process for applying for a Masters degree.

It doesn't make any difference whether she is applying for a grad or post grad degree. The criteria (that you need to pass ALL prequisites on the program), apply to both under and post graduate degrees in the uk. Perhaps you got this from my post?
Original post by john2054
It doesn't make any difference whether she is applying for a grad or post grad degree. The criteria (that you need to pass ALL prequisites on the program), apply to both under and post graduate degrees in the uk. Perhaps you got this from my post?

RTFQ! The OP was asking how their undergrad grades would be recalculated to meet UK admission standards. The answer is, they won't be. If your overseas degree is calculated on the basis of passing 3/4 modules per year with at least 27%, plus a 100,000 word dissertation to be completed in 5 weeks or whatever ridiculous tests and exams they put in place, UK universities still judge the worth of that degree based on the final grade. They simply have final grade comparison tables for their own entry. In some very specific cases, you have to have followed a specific type of course of study, if your country has a dual track undergrad system, but basically the OP was misunderstanding how the undergrad grade comparisons were done for masters degree entry.

You don't have to pass all the pre-requisites for the program for either undergrad or postgrad entry, as the successful 'near miss' candidates prove every year, as do those that get onto post-grad degrees without even having an undergrad degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending