The Student Room Group

Masters at the University of Dundee or Edinburgh?

Hi there. I have recently graduated with a 2.1 in Geography from the University of Aberdeen. I'm very interested in sustainable development, in particular tackling climate change and I wish to pursue a career in carbon and climate change management

I have been researching masters degrees in this area and the one which looks the best all round is MSc Carbon Management at the University of Edinburgh. It is ranked in the top 5 sustainability and environment masters in the UK and the employment prospects look fantastic. It has only been running for three years but almost all the alumni appear to have fantastic careers. I'm also aware of the fantastic reputation of the University of Edinburgh as well.

However, the major downside are the fees (£13,000! :frown: ). I would need to take quite a few years out to save up money for this program.

The other course which caught my eye was 'MSc Sustainability: Climate Change and Low Carbon Futures' at the University of Dundee. The course fees are considerably cheaper (£5000) and I could save this up by working full time for a year. Furthermore, the modules look very interesting and the content is quite similar to that of MSc Carbon Management. However, I am aware that the University of Dundee does not have as great a reputation as Edinburgh (usually ranked in the 30's or 40's). Furthermore, I cannot even see this MSc course on the list of best sustainability and environmental courses. As for career prospects there are a list of professions on the course website but there are no alumni profiles or testimonials so I really cannot deduce how good this course is career-wise.

I don't want to spend £5000 on a masters degree which will not get me anywhere career-wise. However, I feel that this degree program is my only realistic option.

What are everyone's thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
Hi there. I have recently graduated with a 2.1 in Geography from the University of Aberdeen. I'm very interested in sustainable development, in particular tackling climate change and I wish to pursue a career in carbon and climate change management

I have been researching masters degrees in this area and the one which looks the best all round is MSc Carbon Management at the University of Edinburgh. It is ranked in the top 5 sustainability and environment masters in the UK and the employment prospects look fantastic. It has only been running for three years but almost all the alumni appear to have fantastic careers. I'm also aware of the fantastic reputation of the University of Edinburgh as well.

However, the major downside are the fees (£13,000! :frown: ). I would need to take quite a few years out to save up money for this program.

The other course which caught my eye was 'MSc Sustainability: Climate Change and Low Carbon Futures' at the University of Dundee. The course fees are considerably cheaper (£5000) and I could save this up by working full time for a year. Furthermore, the modules look very interesting and the content is quite similar to that of MSc Carbon Management. However, I am aware that the University of Dundee does not have as great a reputation as Edinburgh (usually ranked in the 30's or 40's). Furthermore, I cannot even see this MSc course on the list of best sustainability and environmental courses. As for career prospects there are a list of professions on the course website but there are no alumni profiles or testimonials so I really cannot deduce how good this course is career-wise.

I don't want to spend £5000 on a masters degree which will not get me anywhere career-wise. However, I feel that this degree program is my only realistic option.

I'd go for the Edinburgh course. Are you sure there's no funding opportunities available?
Original post by Euphiletos
I'd go for the Edinburgh course. Are you sure there's no funding opportunities available?

I had a look and there are a few funding options. However, I'm not sure if I would stand out enough to get this. Like I have a pretty average 2.1 and I was led to believe that you need a first or a very high 2.1 to get such funding.
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari

Whichever option you go for, a Masters on its own will not mean you just walk into a job, especially if you have no work experience. You still need to be able to put together a good application and do well at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending