The Student Room Group

C1 Equations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Yes, but your assumption is unjustified. Basically, you're unconciously splitting into cases:

Case (i): assume p =/= 0 then quadratic and discriminant

Case (ii): assume p = 0 then ....

You can't just randomly assume p =/= 0 because you feel like and then go well "p =0 contradicts the original assumption", of course it does, you assumed p =/= 0 for no reason at all, so obviously p=0 would contradict that. You need to go back to the root and deal with the p = 0 case on its own.

I'm not plucking the assumption out of thin air and for no reason. If we assume it is a quadratic then we are allowed to continue to inspect the roots by means of the discriminant. This would gives us the correct answers but with further inspection we would see that it cannot be p=0 otherwise it contradicts the assumption. I'm not assuming that p=/=0, I am proving this from the contradiction itself. I don't understand what you're getting at.
Reply 21
Original post by RDKGames
I'm not plucking the assumption out of thin air and for no reason. If we assume it is a quadratic then we are allowed to continue to inspect the roots by means of the discriminant. This would gives us the correct answers but with further inspection we would see that it cannot be p=0 otherwise it contradicts the assumption. I'm not assuming that p=/=0, I am proving this from the contradiction itself. I don't understand what you're getting at.

You are. What gives you the right to assume it's a quadratic? I could say "oh well, I'm gonna assume the Riemann hypothesis so I'm allowed to continue to inspect the distribution of prime number by means of the root locations, this would give us the correct answers, but with further inspection we would see...", you're arguing that p =/= 0 because it's a quadratic (but you're assuming it's a quadratic because p=/= 0, circular!). That's false. P =/= 0 because -2 =/= 0.
Original post by Zacken
You are. What gives you the right to assume it's a quadratic? I could say "oh well, I'm gonna assume the Riemann hypothesis so I'm allowed to continue to inspect the distribution of prime number by means of the root locations, this would give us the correct answers, but with further inspection we would see...", you're arguing that p =/= 0 because it's a quadratic (but you're assuming it's a quadratic because p=/= 0, circular!). That's false. P =/= 0 because -2 =/= 0.

Fair enough, it makes sense in my head, but I think I'm given the right to assume it's a quadratic because the equation is in the form axn+bxn1+...+cx+d=0ax^n+bx^{n-1}+...+cx+d=0 with the highest degree order of 2. Explain why this would be wrong.
Reply 23
Fair enough, it makes sense in my head, but I think I'm given the right to assume it's a quadratic because the equation is in the form axn+bxn1+...+cx+d=0ax^n+bx^{n-1}+...+cx+d=0 with the highest degree order of 2. Explain why this would be wrong.

Because the definition of a quadratic is a polynomial of the form ax2+bx+cax^2 + bx + c where a0a \neq 0. You don't know that the coefficient of the second degree term is non-zero here, you're assuming it is.

Anyway, this is all pedantic splitting hairs, not anything to lose much sleep over.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Because the definition of a quadratic is a polynomial of the form ax2+bx+cax^2 + bx + c where a0a \neq 0. You don't know that the coefficient of the second degree term is non-zero here, you're assuming it is.

Anyway, this is all pedantic splitting hairs, not anything to lose much sleep over.

Alright, thanks for explaining.
Reply 25

For general polynomials you typically denote the coefficients as ai a_i because there could easily be more than 26 terms in the polynomial. Even though the degree of the polynomial you have written is n n if the letters are the coefficients then it suggests that n=3. But hey, oh well.
Original post by B_9710
For general polynomials you typically denote the coefficients as ai a_i because there could easily be more than 26 terms in the polynomial. Even though the degree of the polynomial you have written is n n if the letters are the coefficients then it suggests that n=3. But hey, oh well.

Oh well.
Original post by Zacken
That's not the reason, nobody said it was a quadratic in the first place. The real reason why p0p \neq 0 is because 20-2 \neq 0.

How can you tell if it is a quadratic and why would that effect the answer? Also, I don't understand why p does not equal 0 because 0 does not equal -2. Why -2?
Thank you
Reply 28
Original post by musicangel
How can you tell if it is a quadratic and why would that effect the answer? Also, I don't understand why p does not equal 0 because 0 does not equal -2. Why -2?
Thank you

sub p = 0 into the equation, you get 0 + 0 - 2 = 0.

Quick Reply

Latest