The Student Room Group

Erdogan ultimatum: ‘US has to choose between Turkey & Gulen’

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has issued an ultimatum to the US, saying it must choose between Turkey and the US-based Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom Ankara believes was behind the failed July 15 coup attempt.

“Sooner or later the US will make a choice […] Either the coup-plotting terrorist FETO [Gulenist Terror Organization, term used by non-Gulenists] or the democratic country Turkey. The [US] has to make this choice,” Erdogan said in a speech in Ankara on Wednesday, as quoted by the state-run Anadolu Agency.

“Those who follow the Pennsylvania-based charlatan who sold his soul to the devil, or Daesh [Arabic pejorative term for Islamic State/IS], which shed Muslim blood, or the PKK that also has shed blood for 30 years to divide the country and the nation, will all lose in the end,” the Turkish leader warned.

Read More:
https://www.rt.com/news/355509-us-choice-turkey-gulen/
Reply 1
Nobody trusts America anymore and rightly so

America is the trouble maker of the world, and Britain and the EU in general are just as bad as they seem to simply follow follow Washington's foreign policy rather than having their own...
Original post by VIad

America is the trouble maker of the world, and Britain and the EU in general are just as bad as they seem to simply follow follow Washington's foreign policy rather than having their own...

As opposed to Turkey which has just detained 18,000 of its own citizens without trial and are subjecting them to brutal physical and sexual torture, but hey ho, blame America because you can't take personal responsibility for your evils.
Reply 3
Original post by VIad

America is? They have learned their lesson. They didn't even intervene in Syria when they really should have.

You have Putin on the brink of war in Ukraine, you have Erdogan and Assad. But let's blame America for everything. :facepalm:

I personally hope Turkey goes to ****, so that all of those crazy Erdogan fanatics get what they deserve.
Reply 4
On principle i hope the US tells Erdogan and Turkey to pound sand. On the other hand though selling one exiled cleric, who may or may not be up to shady activities, up the river and returning him to Turkey seems like a small price to pay to keep Turkey from creating a catastrophe with the refugee card it holds/kicking NATO out/realigning itself to Russia...

That being said that's just how the US will see things I still hope they flip him off.
Turkey is the very important strategic position. If Washington loses this point, Russia could win the geopolitical games.

Of course Uncle Sam doesn't like Turkey's leader. Sam will play dirty games. The CIA guys will secretly work harder. Surely Turkey's leader really really needs more body guards.

1470975032155.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by skunkboy
Turkey is the very important strategic position. If Washington loses this point, Russia could win the geopolitical games.

Of course Uncle Sam doesn't like Turkey's leader. Sam will play dirty games. The CIA guys will secretly work harder. Surely Turkey's leader really really needs more body guards.

1470975032155.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no doubt it's important but the bases can still have their roles subsumed by other allied/NATO bases in some neighbouring countries such as the multitude of ones in the Arab states and Britains ones in Cyprus. As far as it used to be strategically crucial for being a buffer against the USSR it makes little difference now bar control of the bosphorus.
That all being said I very much doubt this jumped up little oik will do anything like this, it would be cutting of his nose to spite his face.
Original post by VIad

It's interesting you say that but propose no alternative. Many regions in the world, especially the Middle East, need a supreme power to keep the peace between the various interests. America had done a relatively good job; now that they are using a laissez-faire approach, Saudi Arabia and Iran will attempt to take over.
Turkey: the little shouting kid in the playground who overestimates their importance, whilst the adults pay no attention to its tantrums
Reply 9
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Turkey: the little shouting kid in the playground who overestimates their importance, whilst the adults pay no attention to its tantrums

Exactly.
Lol at Erdogan
F*ck Erdogan, he plans to become an authoritarian dictator, no doubt about it.
The man has gone mad with power. Sooner he's gone the better.
I hope they have another coup and are successful. Turkey has one of the most powerful armies in the world outside the west so they're definitely capable of doing it, that is if they want it
(edited 7 years ago)
Turkey is clearly an enemy of the US and of the Western world.

However so is Gulen.

The US should expel Turkey from NATO and then drop Gulen out of a helicopter into the Chesapeake Bay.
Original post by Pinkberry_y

I think that unfortunately theyvare important, especially for Europe. They cancel they deal we have about refugees and basically **** europe up.
They have sizable military power and stratigic position. And they're also 74 million people half of which are ****ing insane for supporting Erdogan.
They're also getting nice and cozy with Russia which is always a scary thing.

I'd really like to be proven wrong about Turkey's significance.(I honestly mean that)
Original post by venetiaan
I think that unfortunately theyvare important, especially for Europe. They cancel they deal we have about refugees and basically **** europe up.
They have sizable military power and stratigic position. And they're also 74 million people half of which are ****ing insane for supporting Erdogan.
They're also getting nice and cozy with Russia which is always a scary thing.

I'd really like to be proven wrong about Turkey's significance.(I honestly mean that)

Last time I checked Turkey were still on edge with Russia after that F16 shot down that bomber
Original post by cbreef
Last time I checked Turkey were still on edge with Russia after that F16 shot down that bomber

Check again.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37045724

Ah now I see, 2 wannabe dictators getting all close. Russia is clearly trying to weaken NATO.
I think their end goal is to weaken NATO so they can eventually expand into the baltics, ukraine and others
Original post by cbreef
Ah now I see, 2 wannabe dictators getting all close. Russia is clearly trying to weaken NATO.
I think their end goal is to weaken NATO so they can eventually expand into the baltics, ukraine and others

Maybe. Can't say I know enough in order to understand their reasoning but that seems pretty plausible.
Reply 17
Erdogan has accused Israel of genocide and spoken out against their crimes over the years.. even returned awards given to him by various Jewish groups.

There's a lot of conspiracies, even talks in Turkish media that the Gulen movement is some Jewish backed movement to take over Turkey and put a puppet in power. It wouldn't surprise me given the Jewish history of financing revolutions some of which genocides followed. It happened in Turkey.. it happened in Russia.

Hey just ignore it, call it a conspiracy. I think people have to be careful when it comes to revolutions because they're usually not for the interest of the people.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending