The Student Room Group

What would universities would be classed as mediocre universities?

Mediocre - of average quality, not very good.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scruffyjoe
Mediocre - of average quality, not very good.

UWE is probably about as average as it gets.
University of Reading
In which aspect? Which subject? You need to be a bit more specific. :lol:
Reply 4
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
University of Reading

But I thought university of reading is part of the Russell group?
Reply 5
Original post by Lord Samosa
In which aspect? Which subject? You need to be a bit more specific. :lol:

In general - I guess in terms of prestige, repute and academics.
Reply 6
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
UWE is probably about as average as it gets.

UWE is not mediocre it's probably below average.
But I thought university of reading is part of the Russell group?

Lol no.
In general - I guess in terms of prestige, repute and academics.

Mmm idk, it's kinda hard to judge tbh, once you go outside the top uni's, they tend to be good in certain areas, not so good in others. It's hard to say :lol:
Original post by Make39kButNoHoes
Lol no.

Got a problem with Reading m8? :hmmm:
Reply 10
Oxford.
Cambridge is good, everything other than Oxbridge is utter filth, Oxford is sort of okay.
Reply 11
Mmm idk, it's kinda hard to judge tbh, once you go outside the top uni's, they tend to be good in certain areas, not so good in others. It's hard to say :lol:

Hmm okay.
Where did you go for uni (or are planning to go)?
Reply 12
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Oxford.
Cambridge is good, everything other than Oxbridge is utter filth, Oxford is sort of okay.

Hahaha okay nice joke!
Hmm okay.
Where did you go for uni (or are planning to go)?

I went to Reading. I did Accounting, and their business school is decent. My course mates are now with companies such as PwC, BDO etc and I was able to get myself a onto a graduate scheme too. So it's good in that subject.

Other subjects, some they are quite good in, and others they are kinda ****. It's always better to see where you want to be after you graduate and which uni would be most suited to get you there (based on your preferred field). Especially if you're looking to apply to average uni's instead of the big ones like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.
Reply 14
Hahaha okay nice joke!

In seriousness I'd say most are of average quality and not particularly good, so it's hard to pinpoint an archetype of mediocrity.
Reply 15
In seriousness I'd say most are of average quality and not particularly good, so it's hard to pinpoint an archetype of mediocrity.

Yes, Oxbridge is probably the best but I don't think the likes of kings, ucl, lse, Warwick can be counted as mediocre or average. Don't you think?
Reply 16

And imperial as well is one of the best. Not mediocre.
Reply 17
And imperial as well is one of the best. Not mediocre.

Yes, Oxbridge is probably the best but I don't think the likes of kings, ucl, lse, Warwick can be counted as mediocre or average. Don't you think?

Of course lol, my original statement was not in seriousness at all, I'm just saying that I think the majority, not necessarily a large majority, of universities could be considered of average quality. Certainly no Russell Group university is mediocre though, and neither are many others like Surrey, Bath, Loughborough...
Reply 18
Of course lol, my original statement was not in seriousness at all, I'm just saying that I think the majority, not necessarily a large majority, of universities could be considered of average quality. Certainly no Russell Group university is mediocre though, and neither are many others like Surrey, Bath, Loughborough...

Oh haha sorry - I thought maybe you're one of those delusional people who go to Oxbridge and think nothing of other very good universities - sorry about that!

So which university in particular would you consider to be mediocre then?
Reply 19
I went to Reading. I did Accounting, and their business school is decent. My course mates are now with companies such as PwC, BDO etc and I was able to get myself a onto a graduate scheme too. So it's good in that subject.

Other subjects, some they are quite good in, and others they are kinda ****. It's always better to see where you want to be after you graduate and which uni would be most suited to get you there (based on your preferred field). Especially if you're looking to apply to average uni's instead of the big ones like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL etc.

Glad you enjoyed your course at reading.
So you think any all universities besides Oxbridge, ucl and lse are mediocre?

Quick Reply

Latest