The Student Room Group

Want to do history degree with a higher B?

I realise this may be a bit of a silly question.
I love history, really. It's my favourite subject and I thought it was the one I was best at. I just received my S5 results and for many reasons I only managed to fit three highers on my timetable last year. I got As in English and French and a B in History. Of course, I need at least four highers for uni, which I am pursing in S6.

Now I know it's ridiculous to be upset over a B, but I had gotten As all year and I really thought the exam went well. Of course a B is still good, but I'm still really gutted that I didn't do as well as I had been during the year, and as well as I thought I had done.

I'm guessing most people with degrees in History got an A. What I'm trying to say is, would a B in history hinder me in applying for a history (and joint archaeology) degree at uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
It's not that ridiculous to be upset over a B - I was miffed last year that my Higher History was an A2 and not an A1 lol (I got 96% in my prelim and about 80% in the exam)

It shouldn't hinder you really - I mean, yes, most people who go on to a degree have achieved an A in the respective subject, but if you go on to study AH History and get a good predicted grade most unis won't bat their eyelids. Write a personal statement conveying your passion for the subject and it'll all go a-okay. With 2As and a B down, your requirements could be as low as just getting a B in one Higher in 6th year! :biggrin: Are there any unis particularly you're hoping to go to? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by JM_1998
It's not that ridiculous to be upset over a B - I was miffed last year that my Higher History was an A2 and not an A1 lol (I got 96% in my prelim and about 80% in the exam)

It shouldn't hinder you really - I mean, yes, most people who go on to a degree have achieved an A in the respective subject, but if you go on to study AH History and get a good predicted grade most unis won't bat their eyelids. Write a personal statement conveying your passion for the subject and it'll all go a-okay. With 2As and a B down, your requirements could be as low as just getting a B in one Higher in 6th year! :biggrin: Are there any unis particularly you're hoping to go to? :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I am going on to do AH History in S6 and am really excited about it. I really don't know what happened in that exam, but I got a B and have to move on I guess.
I'm hoping Edinburgh. It would be my first choice definitely. If not that, then most likely Aberdeen for my second.
Reply 3
Original post by natashac99
Thanks for the reply! I am going on to do AH History in S6 and am really excited about it. I really don't know what happened in that exam, but I got a B and have to move on I guess.
I'm hoping Edinburgh. It would be my first choice definitely. If not that, then most likely Aberdeen for my second.

Yeah that's the best attitude to go with - but do be sure to query it with your school to see if you were close to getting an A

Also, AH History will be really great - like as fun as Nat 5 and Higher are, they aren't really History in the academic sense - they're just remembering historical facts mostly and some simple source interpretation. AH introduces you to slightly more complex source analysis and writing essays you've actually researched and formulated yourself, and with the slant you believe in; basically, it let's you argue your point - and it's great when you get really into it (I became notorious in my class for my disdain of Neville Chamberlain and as a proponent for no holds barred military warfare hahaha)
The key difference is you now need to be aware of the popular opinions of historical issues and the opposing arguments for and against (e.g was Churchill a good leader or not? - both sides can be argued but you need to pick one; sitting on the fence is not advised) - otherwise known as historiography - and if you don't have historiography in your essays or your source answers then you automatically fail lol so yeah it's good to have some :biggrin:

Anyway enough of me ranting about AH lol - according to Edinburgh's requirements you already meet the minimum of BBB in S5 and so they're looking for you to get ABBBB/AABB by the end of S6 (AT THE LEAST) - So in a perfect world your condition will be just a B in a Higher haha - but who knows with unis - and since their typical offer is AAAA, they may ask for two As or an A or a B etc etc depending on how ace your PS is :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by JM_1998
Yeah that's the best attitude to go with - but do be sure to query it with your school to see if you were close to getting an A

Also, AH History will be really great - like as fun as Nat 5 and Higher are, they aren't really History in the academic sense - they're just remembering historical facts mostly and some simple source interpretation. AH introduces you to slightly more complex source analysis and writing essays you've actually researched and formulated yourself, and with the slant you believe in; basically, it let's you argue your point - and it's great when you get really into it (I became notorious in my class for my disdain of Neville Chamberlain and as a proponent for no holds barred military warfare hahaha)
The key difference is you now need to be aware of the popular opinions of historical issues and the opposing arguments for and against (e.g was Churchill a good leader or not? - both sides can be argued but you need to pick one; sitting on the fence is not advised) - otherwise known as historiography - and if you don't have historiography in your essays or your source answers then you automatically fail lol so yeah it's good to have some :biggrin:

Anyway enough of me ranting about AH lol - according to Edinburgh's requirements you already meet the minimum of BBB in S5 and so they're looking for you to get ABBBB/AABB by the end of S6 (AT THE LEAST) - So in a perfect world your condition will be just a B in a Higher haha - but who knows with unis - and since their typical offer is AAAA, they may ask for two As or an A or a B etc etc depending on how ace your PS is :biggrin:

Thanks very much for the insight! I can't remember the exact name of our topic but it's to do with Hitler and Nazi Germany which is always great to analyse. I'm excited for the historiography because I do have strong opinions on these topics.

That's comforting to know. I'm doing three highers alongside AH History so I'm hoping I'll be able to crank out a couple of As at least.
Reply 5
I'm not sure if this is helpful AT ALL but this is me..

I'm about to start doing History, Sociology and Professional Education (Secondary school teacher). I only have standard grade History (at a 3) from 2004 and I got accepted.

I'm not sure if it helps, I hope it does.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by natashac99
I realise this may be a bit of a silly question.
I love history, really. It's my favourite subject and I thought it was the one I was best at. I just received my S5 results and for many reasons I only managed to fit three highers on my timetable last year. I got As in English and French and a B in History. Of course, I need at least four highers for uni, which I am pursing in S6.

Now I know it's ridiculous to be upset over a B, but I had gotten As all year and I really thought the exam went well. Of course a B is still good, but I'm still really gutted that I didn't do as well as I had been during the year, and as well as I thought I had done.

I'm guessing most people with degrees in History got an A. What I'm trying to say is, would a B in history hinder me in applying for a history (and joint archaeology) degree at uni?

Since you are going to do AH, it will upgrade you from a B (as long as you do well, of course). Even elite unis (e.g. Glasgow University) would regard a B in AH as an A at Higher. They don't really take AH's into account on their own (unless for advanced entry or outside of Scotland) as they ask for highers. However, if you get at least a B in AH, they will regard it as history at an A in higher.Also, I just did the new AH this year and also did the Germany topic - Weimar and Nazi Germany. I found it incredibly interesting and, if you love history like you say you do, I bet you'll really enjoy it, too! :-)
My mum got a B in English at A level and went on to do a first class honours degree. You'll be fine. If you're passionate that will be a huge driving force.

Quick Reply

Latest