The Student Room Group

Police not recruiting many BME groups

Why do we think this is ? I mean forces who are recruiting this year are saying they want a more diverse recruitment. But the question is why isnt the police force as diverse ? I know a lot of people who are from different backgrounds who apply but might not get in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36348750

Scroll to see replies

Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?

Spoiler

Original post by Electrospective
Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?

Spoiler

You are right about the first point, the second not so much. Its important to have different ethnicities in the police, they generally have a better raport with people of same ethnicities (I say generally because there are so many instances of black USA criminals abusing black police calling them uncle toms / sellouts etc)
Nobody should be hiring with diversity in mind. They should aim to get the best even if it results in poor diversity.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You are right about the first point, the second not so much. Its important to have different ethnicities in the police, they generally have a better raport with people of same ethnicities (I say generally because there are so many instances of black USA criminals abusing black police calling them uncle toms / sellouts etc)

I doubt a criminal would be happy to see a police officer, whether they're black/white/asian....

Spoiler

Original post by Mathemagicien
Why are fewer coloured people applying?

You said coloured people. :eek3:

Spoiler

I doubt a criminal would be happy to see a police officer, whether they're black/white/asian....

Spoiler

Yeah obviously but for disputes and resolving conflicts better to be dealing with someone of same ethnicity in general
Yeah obviously but for disputes and resolving conflicts better to be dealing with someone of same ethnicity in general

Mehhhh...not so sure about that one. Although it may help to speak to them in their mother tongue.
As has already been stated, how easily could this headline be changed to: BME groups not applying to join police?
Why are fewer coloured people applying?

The police force is seen (and, in the past, has been proved) to be institutionally racist.
Mehhhh...not so sure about that one. Although it may help to speak to them in their mother tongue.

Tis true. We empathise better with people who look like us or are similar to us better than those that dont.
Tis true. We empathise better with people who look like us or are similar to us better than those that dont.

Fair point. Tis very true.

Spoiler

Ah sorry, I haven't updated my PC dictionary in over a week. What is today's trendy term for the non-whites?

People of colour. How could you not know?

Spoiler

Why are more British Muslims fighting for Islamic State than the British Army?
Part of it is boring: you generally don't join the police force of a foreign country or a "foreign" country, nor over a certain age, nor in a country where you do not perfectly speak the language. So it is fairer to compare the proportion of police of a certain group with the proportion of that group of those people who were born in this country. Non-whites are a greater proportion of the total population than they are of the population that was born here.

Part of it is aptitude: blacks have low aptitude. Police officer is a decent job. Blacks are underrepresented in all decent jobs.

Part of it is cultural: many Muslims do not recognise British law, so have little interest in enforcing it. Many blacks identify more strongly with criminals (e.g. Mark Duggan) than with the police.

I very much doubt that the police discriminates against non-whites; I find it much more likely that these is discrimination in their favour.
IIRC, there was a Guardian article where that was seen as out of date. Brb, I'll check Tumblr for the proper term.

I humbly apologise. I've just been whitewashed my society. Keep me posted. :wink:
Reply 15
Maybe not many want to apply?
Original post by TorpidPhil
It's a psychological 'fact' as far as social statistics are concerned. Same gender, same class, same ethnicity the more of these they are the more likely the officer (or any person trying to persuade another) will be successful in their persuasion.

So it's very useful. Also I come from a deprived area myself that has a very high (40%) amount of ethnic minorities. Most of them refuse to report crimes to the police because they do not trust them and quite frankly it is because the police are white and they keep getting robbed by white scum that live only slightly locally.

If a black officer turned up on their door asking for witness statements I bet you those people would be going on and on ranting about the 700 crimes that affected them in the last year for an eternity.

BME officers are important and its one instance of positive discrimination I agree with. West Yorkshire police though are doing MASSIVE amounts of work to try to persuade more BME to trust the police and join us. Join the dark side :wink:

I see what you're saying here. Then the aim would be to encourage more BME folk to apply. I'm still against "positive" discrimination.

There are black officers, so has this been the case? (dunno bout your area but I've seen some in London)

Dunno what you're talking about. :mmm:

Spoiler

I see what you're saying here. Then the aim would be to encourage more BME folk to apply. I'm still against "positive" discrimination.

There are black officers, so has this been the case? (dunno bout your area but I've seen some in London)

Dunno what you're talking about. :mmm:

Spoiler

I dunno, I don't speak to any black officers frequently and I don't speak to my neighbours lul.

I was trained by an ex-afo who was black though. He was cool. And he was hot. Probably the most attractive black guy I've ever seen actually...
Original post by TorpidPhil
I dunno, I don't speak to any black officers frequently and I don't speak to my neighbours lul.

I was trained by an ex-afo who was black though. He was cool. And he was hot. Probably the most attractive black guy I've ever seen actually...

Racist :colonhash:

Spoiler

Armed forces officer?

Spoiler

There have recently been efforts to bring in BME into the Police here in the North. I can attest to this. =)

Quick Reply

Latest