The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

If I miss my offer, and want to call up the uni and beg them to let me in, what should I say?

(Also, I do realise theres like a 0.0001% chance of it working, but it can't hurt to try)
Original post by fefssdf
It means they expect to have spaces available which means they might have accepted more people who missed their offer but alternatively they could reject everyone who misses their offers and will use clearing to get people with the required grades but this depends on the course and how popular it is ? If it's asking for AAA normally then expect clearing to mean that they're accepting more people who missed their offers

It's a Geoscience course at Royal Holloway with an ABB requirement.
Original post by Franckenstar
What does it mean when your university enters clearing for your chosen course when they were not ? Does that mean you missed your place ?

It's impossible to say

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26247-Is-is-possible-to-predict-what-universities-will-do-on-results-day
Original post by UnknownAnon
If I miss my offer, and want to call up the uni and beg them to let me in, what should I say?

(Also, I do realise theres like a 0.0001% chance of it working, but it can't hurt to try)

Unless you missed your offer by literally a mark or two honestly I wouldn't bother. I know how you feel and it'll be super frustrating but at the end of the day if they don't want you on their course they don't want you on their course. They'll be dealing with so many phone calls that day they'd probably be more pissed off than anything to deal with someone they've already rejected pleading to be let on

If you miss your offer CHECK TRACK.

Only ring if your place is still conditional. Don't beg - just ask when they'll make a decision.

Begging does not work. It isn't attractive and it wastes everyone's time.

It hurts other people. They might actually need to phone up for important and justified reasons.
Reply 4346

It's a waste of time. You are better off going via clearing.
Original post by JMACM98
Unless you missed your offer by literally a mark or two honestly I wouldn't bother. I know how you feel and it'll be super frustrating but at the end of the day if they don't want you on their course they don't want you on their course. They'll be dealing with so many phone calls that day they'd probably be more pissed off than anything to deal with someone they've already rejected pleading to be let on

They have specific confirmation lines for indvidual courses though, and I've heard it has worked before.
Original post by fefssdf
I don't wanna go to my insurance. If I ring up on Monday and say I wanna be released will it be too late !!?

Why would you not want to go to the university of Manchester?
It's my firm choice😊
Original post by Franckenstar
It's a Geoscience course at Royal Holloway with an ABB requirement.

I think BBB would be enough considering the grades are not that high to start off with. Hope it all goes well with you ! Geoscience isn't a popular course so you have a good chance !
They have specific confirmation lines for indvidual courses though, and I've heard it has worked before.

There are plenty of rumours about results day that are exaggerated or not true. If you truly want to ring then that's up to you, but to be completely honest your time and energy on that day will be far better spent looking through clearing or coming up with a plan B than trying to reason with someone who's already made their decision
Original post by fldem
If you drop a grade in the subject you want to study at university, how negatively will that reflect on your application? I want to study English (need three As including English) and I got an A last year, A* in my coursework and have done a few essay competitions/EPQ in which I've been rewarded highly. However, during my exam, I was sat directly in front of two invigilators who would not stop chatting and I'm not trying to blame them but it was massively distracting and I barely finished my exam in time. It was a pretty bad one and I think I'm going to have done badly to be honest. Do you think universities will understand that it was just a bad day or will it be the end of my chances? I'm so scared to get the results :frown:

I'm in the same boat sadly. I need to meet an AAA conditional for Computer Science and Physics course, but I'm pretty sure I'm only gonna get a B in Computing so yeah. I'm hoping if i can get A*AB it's enough.
Original post by Zazzzy57
Why would you not want to go to the university of Manchester?
It's my firm choice😊

I do and I don't ? I'm worried the mad party life will be too much. I want a quiet life and the thought of living in a massive city is kinda scary to me, I'm sure I'll enjoy it but right now it just seems kinda scary lol . I think I'd prefer somewhere more quiet
When predicting ny grades, my maths and chemistry teachers gave the grades I wanted/needed to make an application to my first choice uni, but initially, my biology teacher didn't (well she was a sub). I talked to my AS biology teacher, told her how my UMS from AS shows it could be likely, and she changed it, and my permanent A2 teacher agreed.

That said, I know for definite that I've missed the prediction in maths :redface:
I feel so sick already
Original post by heyit'sme
Wow thanks for your reply and what a surprise that was! For GCSE most people (including me) revised for the exams a couple weeks before, but comparing that to months and months is just crazy. And of course there's also the fact that getting into unis is stressful especially with so many applications this year! I wish you the very best in what you get and hope that you achieve what you desire, maybe the months of revision may pay off in the end, good luck, 4 days to go!!!

Yeah, the step up really shocked me too but at AS I found that I left it too late and, even though I still did well, I found that I hadn't revised enough for some papers that really should've been better on my part. A Levels fully took over my A2 year in March/April but it might be worth bearing in mind that I am pretty excessive with it. I know a guy who I can guarantee will be looking at A*/A grades for all three of his A Levels and he'd be playing football in his free time at college whilst I was probably doing past papers....as much as I envy those people I also admire them for being so smart.

Thanks! I hope you have a good start to your AS year...I'm so nervous now:s-smilie:
Original post by fefssdf
I think BBB would be enough considering the grades are not that high to start off with. Hope it all goes well with you ! Geoscience isn't a popular course so you have a good chance !

Thanks so much. It freaks me out now. Just 4 days until judgement day.
Still got another year of A-levels to go but I'm just thinking for next year - do entry requirements change when a course is in clearing? I want to do Physics at uni so I looked at some unis in clearing this year to see which unis might be more lenient, etc and I saw that good unis (Bristol, Exeter, King's, Leeds, Southampton, Surrey, York, etc) which usually require AAA for Physics were in clearing. Would they still look for AAA applicants in clearing or would they accept maybe ABB for example?
For people going Uni this year, l need help. In some universities official website they have different requirements than on the UCAS website..so l don't know which website to use which shows the real requirements. Tips?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Still got another year of A-levels to go but I'm just thinking for next year - do entry requirements change when a course is in clearing? I want to do Physics at uni so I looked at some unis in clearing this year to see which unis might be more lenient, etc and I saw that good unis (Bristol, Exeter, King's, Leeds, Southampton, Surrey, York, etc) which usually require AAA for Physics were in clearing. Would they still look for AAA applicants in clearing or would they accept maybe ABB for example?

Well if this a new spec then yeah, but it depends upon the university.

Quick Reply

Latest