The Student Room Group

Do I Just Forget It?

A guy and I decided that we would start a relationship after exams, but a day after the relationship officially started (also the day we met up, as it's a long distance) he said the distance was too difficult and we can't do it. I told him I thought we could but understood that if he didn't think we could, it wasn't going to work. He suggested we stay close friends, and I agreed (personally, I don't think the distance was the reason, but I'm not gonna start arguments over something like that).

What has happened has been the opposite. I tried several times to talk with him, but he's either ignored me or made excuses not to talk. I decided that it was impossible to keep the friendship going after several weeks of this and said that we couldn't keep doing this and I wished him luck and that. But then he replied back that the reason he hadn't talked was because he had felt guilty about what happened and still wanted to remain friends. So I agreed, and thought for a couple of days it would get better but things seem to be slipping back into the same situation.

So the question is; do I just forget this and stop altogether? I would really hate to lose him as a friend, and I'd miss him terribly, but this situation is confusing me and seriously driving down my mood at the moment.
Original post by Anonymous
A guy and I decided that we would start a relationship after exams, but a day after the relationship officially started (also the day we met up, as it's a long distance) he said the distance was too difficult and we can't do it. I told him I thought we could but understood that if he didn't think we could, it wasn't going to work. He suggested we stay close friends, and I agreed (personally, I don't think the distance was the reason, but I'm not gonna start arguments over something like that).

What has happened has been the opposite. I tried several times to talk with him, but he's either ignored me or made excuses not to talk. I decided that it was impossible to keep the friendship going after several weeks of this and said that we couldn't keep doing this and I wished him luck and that. But then he replied back that the reason he hadn't talked was because he had felt guilty about what happened and still wanted to remain friends. So I agreed, and thought for a couple of days it would get better but things seem to be slipping back into the same situation.

So the question is; do I just forget this and stop altogether? I would really hate to lose him as a friend, and I'd miss him terribly, but this situation is confusing me and seriously driving down my mood at the moment.

It sounds like it might be time to forget about him and move on. If he just won't put the effort in then why should you? Especially if it's just making you feel bad. If he felt that guilty about it, he wouldn't keep doing it. You deserve someone who treats you better, so I'd just forget him
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

That is the best thing to do right now is to let go and forget about him.
Reply 3
Original post by Saba XD
That is the best thing to do right now is to let go and forget about him.

Original post by chelseadagg3r
It sounds like it might be time to forget about him and move on. If he just won't put the effort in then why should you? Especially if it's just making you feel bad. If he felt that guilty about it, he wouldn't keep doing it. You deserve someone who treats you better, so I'd just forget him

Thanks. I know it's the logical thing to do, but because it's personal it makes it harder. But thank you, I will. :smile:
Will be much easier for you if you step back and forget about this altogether. If you tell yourself we can be friends you'll just be giving yourself hope in the long term when he's not that into you, because if he were he'd be trying his hardest to win you back regardless of the distance e
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Will be much easier for you if you step back and forget about this altogether. If you tell yourself we can be friends you'll just be giving yourself hope in the long term when he's not that into you, because if he were he'd be trying his hardest to win you back regardless of the distance e

True. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply