The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I understand that there isn't a particular formula for the applications, and you look at applications individually and holistically. Though I was wondering, in a teacher reference, how much weight would you put towards school prizes at GCSE level?

In my case I got the prize night award for "Top GCSE" and top in 4 individual subjects, and will (hopefully) be applying for Computer Science. The subjects I was top in were Maths, Statistics, ICT and LLW. Are these considered to be a good sign, or are they something you would be less interested in?

I ask this because my GCSE performance isn't among the best for Cambridge applicants. I achieved a grade A in my Maths, although, the whole year sat the exams a year early, and I was the only person who got an A in 2014 (some people repeated and got an A the second time). No one got an A* in the whole year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hello and thanks for your questions. Obviously I can't comment in detail on what another college may or may not do. Unless, however, your offer letter explicitly stated that were you to achieve your A Level grades but miss STEP then you'd be offered Comp Sci w/something else then the college isn't obligated to make you an offer for something else and track probably won't update. You'd need to send your UMS and ask about what might happen in the email you send with the UMS.

It would be up to the college to tell you how you did in the CSAT. Some DoSes would do this, others wouldn't but it's doubtful whether your DoS would still have the information about how your score compared to other candidates in the university.

If even though they said it at the interview, I should just play it out as if I've missed the offer?
Original post by conor_muller
Hello

I'll be applying for History (2017 entry) and I've read a couple of history books which I found interesting. I've read on the internet that Cambridge looks for "wide" reading but I don't know whether this means extensive reading on one or two subjects which interest me or reading lots of books on different subjects. Would only reading about one or two things (I'm reading about the American Civil War at the moment) be seen as narrow or would reading about lots of different topics be seen as not having a strong interest - or neither?

Also, while I'm expecting As in three of my AS levels (with good UMS), would a B in Maths matter too much given that it's not that relevant to History? (others are History, Geography and French)

Thanks

Hello and thanks for your questions (and well done for picking the best subject in Cambridge! :wink: ).

There's no one way of showing interest in History, as there as so many different periods and disciplines that come under Historical studies. A student with a particular interest in an area or topic is certainly a good thing but we would want to be sure that their interests were not restricted just to this and that they had thought about other areas of History. Essentially, it's a balance but one that someone who wants to study History at university shouldn't find too hard to strike. So by all means read more about the American Civil War (a really interesting period!) but don't forget to read and think about other aspects of History too.

Maths can be relevant for History (think Economic history for one and the use of statistics in lots of historical disciplines) but 3 As and a B at AS level will be a good result and make for a competitive application. Best of luck!
Original post by thatawesomekid
I'm considering applying to Cambridge the year to study medicine. Considering I have only done 2 AS levels, what emphasis would be placed on my predicted grades and BMAT considering my lack of AS's?
Thanks in advance 😊

Thank you for your question. You will have more AS Level results than many candidates and obviously we will look at how well you did in these. Beyond that, we don't pay a great deal of attention to predictions as nearly everyone is predicted top grades, but the rest of the application will all be under close inspection. We don't weight any part of the application ad for different people different parts will end up more important.
Original post by TiernanW
I understand that there isn't a particular formula for the applications, and you look at applications individually and holistically. Though I was wondering, in a teacher reference, how much weight would you put towards school prizes at GCSE level?

In my case I got the prize night award for "Top GCSE" and top in 4 individual subjects, and will (hopefully) be applying for Computer Science. The subjects I was top in were Maths, Statistics, ICT and LLW. Are these considered to be a good sign, or are they something you would be less interested in?

I ask this because my GCSE performance isn't among the best for Cambridge applicants. I achieved a grade A in my Maths, although, the whole year sat the exams a year early, and I was the only person who got an A in 2014 (some people repeated and got an A the second time). No one got an A* in the whole year.

We wouldn't weight these things as such but it is always helpful to know when students have excelled in their school environment so it should certainly be mentioned.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
If even though they said it at the interview, I should just play it out as if I've missed the offer?

The contract that you have is the offer letter not anything that is said in the interview. They may well offer you Comp Sci w/ something else but you need to play it as if you missed the offer if you don't make the STEP grades, so send you UMS as soon as you have it and ask in the email whether it might be possible for you to be offered Comp Sci w/something else. Best of luck whatever happens!
Hello there,

This year, the College gave me A*A*A*A offer for a humanity subject and I am currently so nervous since I will end up getting A*A*AA..
Basically, if my college reject me with A*A*AA grades, does this mean that I will be automatically rejected again if I reapply to the same college for the same course? I am aware that applying to different colleges will give me a different experience but I really do love my college..

Also, how many students still get their place although they failed to meet their condition?(especially BA land economy?) Why those students are picked up before they are placed in the summer pool?

Thanks.
Hello everyone and welcome to a new Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, back for its fourth year.

I will be here for the next month to answer your questions about admissions to Cambridge, especially if you are planning to apply this year but also to help those already holding an offer for this year and waiting for your results.

Do please fire away and I'll answer them as well and as quickly as I can.

How efficient is Cambridge at confirming offers on Track on results day? Are they usually quite slow, or can we except to know from 8am?
Original post by masteroflendic
Hello there,

This year, the College gave me A*A*A*A offer for a humanity subject and I am currently so nervous since I will end up getting A*A*AA..
Basically, if my college reject me with A*A*AA grades, does this mean that I will be automatically rejected again if I reapply to the same college for the same course? I am aware that applying to different colleges will give me a different experience but I really do love my college..

Also, how many students still get their place although they failed to meet their condition?(especially BA land economy?) Why those students are picked up before they are placed in the summer pool?

Thanks.

Hello and thanks for your questions. First of all, best of luck for your results.

If you achieve A*A*AA and your college decides not to take you then your file would be placed in the Summer Pool for other colleges to look at and maybe make an offer. With A*A*AA you would certainly be a strong candidate there.

If you were unsuccessful in the Summer Pool and decided to reapply, we do usually suggest that students apply to another college. If you feel that your chose college is absolutely the one for you, then the best thing to do is to email the Admissions Tutor and asked him/her about whether this is a good idea. Normally, they would suggest you apply to another college but there may be specific reasons why reapplying to the same college might be best for your chances (I had a case like this this year, where someone missed our offer and reapplied and has been successful second time around) though this is rare.

While it's natural to develop an affinity with your chosen college, do remember that colleges have many more similarities than differences and that there's no such thing as a perfect fit between applicant and college.

I don't know the number of people who miss their offers but are still taken. It's not something I've tracked (though I probably should). Generally, those we take are what I call 'technical' misses, i.e. where the candidate has made or exceeded the standard offer but missed a higher tariff that we set. In my four years as an Admissions Tutor, I've only accepted one A Level candidate who got AAA (and a couple who got A*A*B).
Original post by Platopus
How efficient is Cambridge at confirming offers on Track on results day? Are they usually quite slow, or can we except to know from 8am?

The colleges don't handle track. We send our decisions to CAO (the central admissions office) and then they inform UCAS so my knowledge of this isn't certain but from my recollection if you have been accepted then UCAS track should update from 8am.
The colleges don't handle track. We send our decisions to CAO (the central admissions office) and then they inform UCAS so my knowledge of this isn't certain but from my recollection if you have been accepted then UCAS track should update from 8am.

Thank you. If I haven't met my offer, will anything have changed when I check track at 8am? Will my offer just have stayed as conditional, or will I get a "you did not meet the conditions" message?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you. If I haven't met my offer, will anything have changed when I check track at 8am? Or will my offer just have stayed as conditional?

You're welcome. If you haven't met your offer, then two things might happen. It may update with a rejection and you will thus be released straight away to your insurance. This will happen if the college decides that they don't wish to honour the offer and have decided not to place the application in the Summer Pool. Usually this would be if you miss by two grades.

If the college hasn't yet decided for themselves or has decided to put your file in the Summer Pool then track will not update. if you are taking A Levels, then the first thing to do is to send your UMS to the college as soon as you can so that they have the detail necessary to help them make a definite decision or so that others can see it in the Summer Pool.
You're welcome. If you haven't met your offer, then two things might happen. It may update with a rejection and you will thus be released straight away to your insurance. This will happen if the college decides that they don't wish to honour the offer and have decided not to place the application in the Summer Pool. Usually this would be if you miss by two grades.

If the college hasn't yet decided for themselves or has decided to put your file in the Summer Pool then track will not update. if you are taking A Levels, then the first thing to do is to send your UMS to the college as soon as you can so that they have the detail necessary to help them make a definite decision or so that others can see it in the Summer Pool.

So, if I have definitely been rejected by Cambridge on results day (not put into the pool), and my insurance has yet to either make my offer unconditional or send me into clearing, will there still be a status update informing me that I have not met my Cambridge offer?
Has the college already made decisions ? and Will the college look positively on those who have submitted their financial guaranty form over those who haven't (intl students)?
(edited 7 years ago)
So, if I have definitely been rejected by Cambridge on results day (not put into the pool), and my insurance has yet to either make my offer unconditional or send me into clearing, will there still be a status update informing me that I have not met my Cambridge offer?

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry. Once it leaves my desk I'm not sure what happens at UCAS. I assume that you would get an update saying that your Cambridge offer has not been met and then it's over to your insurance.

Your Firm (i.e. Cambridge) will show as Decision: Unsuccessful on your Choices page.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mathmybae
Has the college already made decisions ? and Will the college look positively on those who have submitted their financial guaranty form over those who haven't (intl students)?

I doubt that many colleges have made decisions yet. The results arrived on Friday night and some colleges will spend today going through them and contacting DoSes to inform them if students in their subjects have missed. it's unlikely that there would have been much of a definite response yet though and initial decisions will be made on Monday and Tuesday.

At Christ's, Jan (our admissions co-ordinator) and I go through the results tomorrow morning with a fine toothcomb to ensure that everything is correct and we know who has and hasn't missed. We will then email DoSes in relevant subjects to call and discuss the cases with me. I will also have an initial discussion with the Senior Tutor about the situation and we may make some straight forward decisions immediately.

By Tuesday the picture should be fairly clear about those who are definitely in, those who we are going to take despite missing their offer, those about whom we need more information (UMS mainly) and those whom we are definitely not going to take. Among this latter category will be some whose files will go into the Summer Pool and some whose won't.

In the case of international students, if they haven't submitted a financial guarantee at this stage that's not a great sign and it would be good to send it in as soon as possible so that we know that if we do decide to honour the offer then they can definitely come.

I hope that helps explain things a little.
Original post by jneill
Your Firm (i.e. Cambridge) will show as Decision: Unsuccessful on your Choices page.

Thanks so much!
I doubt that many colleges have made decisions yet. The results arrived on Friday night and some colleges will spend today going through them and contacting DoSes to inform them if students in their subjects have missed. it's unlikely that there would have been much of a definite response yet though and initial decisions will be made on Monday and Tuesday.

At Christ's, Jan (our admissions co-ordinator) and I go through the results tomorrow morning with a fine toothcomb to ensure that everything is correct and we know who has and hasn't missed. We will then email DoSes in relevant subjects to call and discuss the cases with me. I will also have an initial discussion with the Senior Tutor about the situation and we may make some straight forward decisions immediately.

By Tuesday the picture should be fairly clear about those who are definitely in, those who we are going to take despite missing their offer, those about whom we need more information (UMS mainly) and those whom we are definitely not going to take. Among this latter category will be some whose files will go into the Summer Pool and some whose won't.

In the case of international students, if they haven't submitted a financial guarantee at this stage that's not a great sign and it would be good to send it in as soon as possible so that we know that if we do decide to honour the offer then they can definitely come.

I hope that helps explain things a little.

I presume Rocket helps a lot at this stage?

So if you miss your offer by two grades you definately won't be put in the summer pool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending