The Student Room Group

Has anybody successfully taught themselves Maths A-level in a year on TSR?

If so please share below how you did it and the best way to do it, I'm interested in studying maths a-level as an adult candidate to improve my maths skills.

Scroll to see replies

I did Further Maths in 1 year, which is a bit different (in some ways easier because you've got experience with Maths A-level). There isn't any real kind of secret, you just work through the textbook and make sure that you're confident with each section, and get as much practice as you can in through past papers and textbook questions, or examsolutions videos if you're stuck. Also avoid mechanics if you just want to improve your maths skills - one stats and one decision or even two stats should suffice and should be fine for self teaching.
Reply 2
Nah but I did Further Maths in a year (well, I was pretty much done by January, with little bits in May-August and lots from September-December). I just went through the textbook for my modules, did the harder exercises, and did past papers, and spent a lot of time on it.
Original post by SeanFM
I did Further Maths in 1 year, which is a bit different (in some ways easier because you've got experience with Maths A-level). There isn't any real kind of secret, you just work through the textbook and make sure that you're confident with each section, and get as much practice as you can in through past papers and textbook questions, or examsolutions videos if you're stuck. Also avoid mechanics if you just want to improve your maths skills - one stats and one decision or even two stats should suffice and should be fine for self teaching.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Nah but I did Further Maths in a year (well, I was pretty much done by January, with little bits in May-August and lots from September-December). I just went through the textbook for my modules, did the harder exercises, and did past papers, and spent a lot of time on it.

Would you recommend self teaching for a candidate who got a B at GCSE because I'm considering paying for a taught maths a-level at a local sixth form
Reply 4
Original post by <InsertUsername>
Would you recommend self teaching for a candidate who got a B at GCSE because I'm considering paying for a taught maths a-level at a local sixth form

If you can do Edexcel, their textbooks are generally as good a resource as a teacher tbh (an individual tutor would be better but that might be costly). There's also examsolutions, a great online resource, for most exam boards. I don't think being taught is necessary even if you didn't get the top grade at GCSE, and I probably wouldn't recommend paying unless money's no object.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
If you can do Edexcel, their textbooks are generally as good a resource as a teacher tbh (an individual tutor would be better but that might be costly). There's also examsolutions, a great online resource, for most exam boards. I don't think being taught is necessary even if you didn't get the top grade at GCSE, and I probably wouldn't recommend paying unless money's no object.

Thanks, I'll consider getting an economically viable private tutor
Nope. But I'm already struggling trying to self-teach C1 right now, before the start of year 12.
Reply 7
Exam Solutions is the ****. Practically taught myself all the modules at AS with that website as guidance.
This is TSR we are talking about here people can probably learn C1,C2,C3,C4 in 2 months
Reply 9
Original post by <InsertUsername>

Getting a B at GCSE doesn't determine anything. Rather than that, you should just change your way of thinking and the ways you approach hard problems (most students give up straight away and not bother), and follow what others have suggested and you should end up getting a good grade :tongue:
Original post by SuperHuman98
This is TSR we are talking about here people can probably learn C1,C2,C3,C4 in 2 months

More like in a fortnight or less. Two months is way too generous.
Reply 11
Feel free to PM me if you want some Skype tutorials for maths. I have a bit of experience with teaching and lots of free time, and I don't mind doing it for free. ^^
Reply 12
I taught myself A level maths and further maths in 6 weeks.
I've done A-Level Maths + FM, all modules, everything, within 2 hours. Catch up, boys!
Original post by ColossalAtom
Nope. But I'm already struggling trying to self-teach C1 right now, before the start of year 12.

lol C1 is so easy
You would need to do it this year as these are the last year for the modular A-level maths Exams at AS.
I wager you could teach yourself it in 6 months if you'd be willing to do 3 hours+ a day, you learn quickly and have a genuine desire to learn it. Contrary to what you get told by lazy people; mathematics is easy to pick up and learn so long as you are actually interested in it and are motivated to get better at it.

I did A-Level chemistry off my own back in 3-4 months with no teaching at all; just using youtube, the internet and a couple of second hand textbooks off amazon. There are literally thousands of video lecture series, textbooks, websites and forums (including this one) you could use to teach yourself A-level mathematics without the need for assistance.

Good luck OP, I was in a the same situation as you in December (Totally novice to a subject looking to self-teach) and now I'm waiting for my results! (Hopefully A*) :smile:
I self-studied A-level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics in one year; A-level Maths the year before the other three though.
Original post by Hashtosh302
lol C1 is so easy

Yeah. I think I just need to get into the right frame of mind to do it. Laser sharp focus.
Original post by Insight314
I self-studied A-level Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics in one year; A-level Maths the year before the other three though.

Sounds like you either have lots of free time or you grasp the concepts of everything quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest