The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
I presume Rocket helps a lot at this stage?

She's vital! :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
So if you miss your offer by two grades you definately won't be put in the summer pool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't say definitely, no, but it's not very likely in most subjects. It's not uncommon, though, in Maths for people with 2,2 or 1,3 to be in the Summer Pool.
Hi I am currently awaiting my GCSE results and have 2 questions regrading admissions to cambridge for medicine

1) are IGCSE's favoured or give a slight advantage over normal GCSES
2) I was meant to sit my GCSE'S in summer 2015 however during my GCSE years i became ill with an eating disorder and depression and consequently ended up in hospital I ended up sitting 2 exams and so this year I have had to cram all my learning into less than a year to sit the exams i was meant to last year, additionally my school made me change exam boards last minute so i had 3 months to learn 3 new specs. due to my circumstances i know I have not got a string of A* and am predicted 1A* A's and B's however I really want to apply to cambridge for natural sciences or medicine, if I get really good A-level grades personal statement ukcat etc. is it worth applying or are my gcse's holding me back.

prior to my illness i was very academic however I don't want cambridge to judge me and reject me on the basis of my GCSE's because I am better than those grades
Original post by Christ's Admissions
I wouldn't say definitely, no, but it's not very likely in most subjects. It's not uncommon, though, in Maths for people with 2,2 or 1,3 to be in the Summer Pool.

I have probably missed my offer by a good 2/3 grades but I have most likely still met the standard offer :frown:.
I am just hoping I am pooled with a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Christs engineering applicants will other colleges see the STEP scripts (will they see all three papers or just STEP 1 ?) in the summer pool.
Original post by Duke Glacia
For Christs engineering applicants will other colleges see the STEP scripts (will they see all three papers or just STEP 1 ?) in the summer pool.

The STEP scripts of those who are in the Pool will be available for people to see.
The STEP scripts of those who are in the Pool will be available for people to see.

Is there any valud reason of someone with 1,1 not being pooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in case if miss my offer what other information do I need to send to the college other than UMS ? Apologies if I have asked this question to you before.
(edited 7 years ago)
in case if miss my offer what other information do I need to send to the college other than UMS ? Apologies if I have asked this question to you before.

Hey are you alright? You've been a little quiet recently :smile:
Original post by physicsmaths
Is there any valud reason of someone with 1,1 not being pooled?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't foresee circumstances where someone with 1,1 isn't pooled.

Nothing, but we already have your UMS as you're post A Level.
Nothing, but we already have your UMS as you're post A Level.

Thank you so much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by maths_geek234
Hi I am currently awaiting my GCSE results and have 2 questions regrading admissions to cambridge for medicine

1) are IGCSE's favoured or give a slight advantage over normal GCSES
2) I was meant to sit my GCSE'S in summer 2015 however during my GCSE years i became ill with an eating disorder and depression and consequently ended up in hospital I ended up sitting 2 exams and so this year I have had to cram all my learning into less than a year to sit the exams i was meant to last year, additionally my school made me change exam boards last minute so i had 3 months to learn 3 new specs. due to my circumstances i know I have not got a string of A* and am predicted 1A* A's and B's however I really want to apply to cambridge for natural sciences or medicine, if I get really good A-level grades personal statement ukcat etc. is it worth applying or are my gcse's holding me back.

prior to my illness i was very academic however I don't want cambridge to judge me and reject me on the basis of my GCSE's because I am better than those grades

Hello and thanks for your questions. I'm sorry to hear about your illness and I hope that you are recovering well.

1) No, we don't regard IGCSE differently from GCSEs.

2) You should apply with an Extenuating Circumstances Form which is filled in by your school or doctor. Your GCSEs need not hold you back though you will need to demonstrate excellence since then. Best of luck.
Have you encountered a case where a post a level engineering applicant missed his STEP grades ?

Additionally from your experience do you know the average ums for successful applicants at summer pool (engineering){Any rough idea}

Additionally for those who were taken last year despite missing their offer, did you consider their other STEP scores or were they just based on how CLOSE they were to the boundary for grade 1 in paper 1 ?

thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much.

Congrats 😃👍
I can't foresee circumstances where someone with 1,1 isn't pooled.

so if I get 1,1 and don't have an offer will I be pooled? /s
Does whether or not you've sent photocopies of your certificates yet (deadline 31st August) affect whether or not you're accepted if you miss your offer?
Have you encountered a case where a post a level engineering applicant missed his STEP grades ?

Additionally from your experience do you know the average ums for successful applicants at summer pool (engineering){Any rough idea}

Additionally for those who were taken last year despite missing their offer, did you consider their other STEP scores or were they just based on how CLOSE they were to the boundary for grade 1 in paper 1 ?

thanks

1) No, but we haven't had any prior to this year - we've only been using STEP for four years.

2) I've no idea afraid, it's not something we've needed to worry about at Christ's as we've not taken from the Summer Pool for Engineering during my time.

3) we didn't have anyone taking STEP 2 or 3 last year. We took someone with 2,2 in STEP 2 & 3 the previous year already achieved.
If we do particularly well in our AS exams in reformed subjects without UMS, is there a way to communicate our raw marks in our application? Only one of my subjects is unreformed, and it would be a shame to only be able to put the results of that one subject in the SAQ. Has the SAQ been modified to allow you to put your raw marks for reformed subjects without UMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Number Nine
so if I get 1,1 and don't have an offer will I be pooled? /s

Not if you don't have an offer no. If you applied to Christ's and got an offer then yes. If not, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be but I'm not in other colleges admissions offices.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending