The Student Room Group

Spanish or Biology?

I'm planing on doing Ancient History and Archaeology at University and am currently confirming my A Level choices. I am definitely doing History and English Literature (provided I get the grades) but don't know whether to choose Biology or Spanish for my third option. I am hoping to achieve A/A*s for both of these subjects at GCSE. Unfortunately, I am only able to pick three subjects. Which one would Universities prefer?
Reply 1
Original post by LN1234
I'm planing on doing Ancient History and Archaeology at University and am currently confirming my A Level choices. I am definitely doing History and English Literature (provided I get the grades) but don't know whether to choose Biology or Spanish for my third option. I am hoping to achieve A/A*s for both of these subjects at GCSE. Unfortunately, I am only able to pick three subjects. Which one would Universities prefer?

But, why only three subjects though? Anyway, I would prefer Biology but then again it is a hard subject.
Reply 2
Original post by Saba XD
But, why only three subjects though? Anyway, I would prefer Biology but then again it is a hard subject.

They changed them to linear A Levels, so I wouldn't be able to drop one at AS. I could do four, but that would be a lot more pressure in the second year, and would probably affect my grades. Thanks for your recommendation, I'll certainly keep that in mind :smile:
Have you tried looking up the entry requirements for different degrees you're considering to see whether they have any required or preferred subjects? If they don't, which do you enjoy more/do better in out of Spanish and Biology? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LN1234
They changed them to linear A Levels, so I wouldn't be able to drop one at AS. I could do four, but that would be a lot more pressure in the second year, and would probably affect my grades. Thanks for your recommendation, I'll certainly keep that in mind :smile:

Ahhh I took my A levels in 2009 - 2012. So, I guess a lot has changed since then.
You are welcome. But, just go with the one that you think you'll end up enjoying more in the long run. :smile:
Original post by LN1234

What university are you looking at? Like Leviathan said, you should really look at the entry requirements for that specific course. There's typically a list of subjects that are useful for your application. (ones that are somewhat related to the degree) Failing that, just go whichever you feel you could do better in! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
Have you tried looking up the entry requirements for different degrees you're considering to see whether they have any required or preferred subjects? If they don't, which do you enjoy more/do better in out of Spanish and Biology? :smile:

I have looked at different entry requirements, but they tend to be quite vague and just ask fora humanities subject, which I have. I think I enjoy them pretty much equally, but I'll have a think about it. Thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
What university are you looking at? Like Leviathan said, you should really look at the entry requirements for that specific course. There's typically a list of subjects that are useful for your application. (ones that are somewhat related to the degree) Failing that, just go whichever you feel you could do better in! :smile:

I'm looking at Russel Group universities, maybe Birmingham or Manchester (although UCL would be my dream). The problem is that the course I want to do isn't that common,so there isn't a ton of information about recommended A Levels. I'll have a look anyway though, thanks :smile:
Original post by LN1234
I'm looking at Russel Group universities, maybe Birmingham or Manchester (although UCL would be my dream). The problem is that the course I want to do isn't that common,so there isn't a ton of information about recommended A Levels. I'll have a look anyway though, thanks :smile:

Yeah, most courses for archaeology/ancient history don't seem to require, really, anything in particular, looking at the unis you listed. Therefore, I'd suggest just going for whichever you feel you can do better at, or the one you enjoy most! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by _gcx
Yeah, most courses for archaeology/ancient history don't seem to require, really, anything in particular, looking at the unis you listed. Therefore, I'd suggest just going for whichever you feel you can do better at, or the one you enjoy most! :smile:

Thanks! I'll probably decide after getting my GCSE results, so I can see which one I did better on :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest