The Student Room Group

Police not recruiting many BME groups

Scroll to see replies

Lets see, there are less blacks than whites in the Uk, There are less Muslims in the uk than white people (Yes I know muslim and white are not mutually exclusive) there are far less black muslims that want to be police officers in the uk than white people who want to become police officers. so obviously there are more white police officers and probably more black police officers than black muslim officers.

And for jobs like that we should be hiring the most qualified not because they are black or muslim.

If you are offended at me using the word black, grow up.
Original post by redleader1
Why do we think this is ? I mean forces who are recruiting this year are saying they want a more diverse recruitment. But the question is why isnt the police force as diverse ? I know a lot of people who are from different backgrounds who apply but might not get in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36348750

1. Police force is institutionally racist
2. BME people do not apply because of point 1)

Simple.
Reply 22
so basically the best person for the job will likely not get the job
Reply 23
Original post by Radisson Blue

Simple.

Going to need a citation on that one.
Reply 24
Original post by Mathemagicien
IIRC, there was a Guardian article where that was seen as out of date. Brb, I'll check Tumblr for the proper term.

Don't do it, save yourself.
Reply 25

Simple.

If they are institutionally racist then why in a country that is 87.2% white do whites make up over 90% of deaths in police custody?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
If they are institutionally racist then why in a country that is 87.2% white do whites make up over 90% of deaths in police custody?

And if we switch it from population demographics to crime demographics how much worse does the institutional racism against whites get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The police force is seen (and, in the past, has been proved) to be institutionally racist.

Evidence ?

Simple.

Evidence
Original post by Electrospective
Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?

Spoiler

Skin colour shouldn't matter, however why do the police need to address this ? If people dont want to apply then fine. Why does it need to be addressed ? Policing can still be efficient with the officer we have now
Original post by TorpidPhil

BME officers are important and its one instance of positive discrimination I agree with. West Yorkshire police though are doing MASSIVE amounts of work to try to persuade more BME to trust the police and join us. Join the dark side :wink:

But why do the police need to persuade BME groups to join ? If someone wants to apply they will apply is there any need for the 'positive action' ?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
(I say generally because there are so many instances of black USA criminals abusing black police calling them uncle toms / sellouts etc)

You can't put US policemen and UK policemen in the same category based on actions of the former. There is an on-going issue in the US regarding guns and police training. That is irrelevant to the UK.

It's like saying that we should stop selling sweets in the UK because US kids eat too much food with high content of sugar.
Original post by joecphillips

You just answered your own question
Skin colour shouldn't matter, however why do the police need to address this ? If people dont want to apply then fine. Why does it need to be addressed ? Policing can still be efficient with the officer we have now

Okay.... :confused:
Racist :colonhash:

Spoiler

Armed forces officer?

Spoiler

Authorised Firearms Officer. Close :wink: It's basically our version of SWAT.

Bi.
But why do the police need to persuade BME groups to join ? If someone wants to apply they will apply is there any need for the 'positive action' ?

As already stated because BME people are way more effective at dealing with crimes in their respective areas, so it is very important for a force to have people that represent them that are of the same ethnic make-up pretty much.

Building up a rapport with a community is very important because the police do not have the resources to watch literally everyone and so they rely on the community for a lot of their intel and of course, to report crimes in the first place. Having ethnic officers patrol that area is a great way to start to build up community rapport, yet they cannot do it if they lack them!
Original post by TorpidPhil
Authorised Firearms Officer. Close :wink: It's basically our version of SWAT.

Bi.

So close. :moon:

Spoiler

They said a "diversity champion" should be appointed to hold forces to account.

What sort of world do we live in, they're running out of useless ways to spend public money.
Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?

Spoiler

What is BME?

anyway for jobs related to community service its good to have a bit of diversity. Helps to increase understanding of police for different communities and reduce conflict.
Original post by HucktheForde
What is BME?

anyway for jobs related to community service its good to have a bit of diversity. Helps to increase understanding of police for different communities and reduce conflict.

Black and minority ethnic

Diversity isn't bad in itself, but when you have to discriminate in order to achieve it then I don't agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending