The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
I was talking about the summer pool.
You said yourself that there is no guarantee of someones application being looked at which is what I mean by considered.
Cherry picked means that when you said a file is organised by letters of names so someone could be missed just for not being in the file.
I seen it in practice(atleast im guessing) when this new FOI came through showing candidates with S1 and 1,1 from trinity being rejected in summerpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I swear he elaborated earlier that there are so many people looking at the files that it is very difficult for one to not be looked at.
Original post by Insight314
I swear he elaborated earlier that there are so many people looking at the files that it is very difficult for one to not be looked at.

would pay at least a tennar for mine to be slipped in
Original post by Number Nine
would pay at least a tennar for mine to be slipped in

are you taking a gap year?
Hi, so I applied last year to NatSci at Johns doing maths, bio, chem and phys with 97,91,94 and 92% in each respectively but was rejected post pool.
I was thinking of reapplying this year assuming I got 4A*s and an A in AS FM and was just wandering what the typical odds are of reapplicants with simmilar grades are. I was also considering applying for maths with physics instead.
During my gap year would I be advised to do anything academic, I.e. Finish off FM or would going travelling be acceptable as use of my time? Also whether FM might making part of an offer should I apply.
Would you recommend applying to a less competitive college as a reapplicant, perhaps without admissions tests of that's possible?
are you taking a gap year?

idk what i got in STEP m8

will pay at least two tennars for my file to be slipped in if i get 11 tho

Oh ok, i was jjst talking about the reply i got earlier where hat wasnt mentioned my mistake. Can you link it please.
Im just so worried that my file wont even be seen in the summer pool rofl lol.
If its looked at then rejected then I will be content, although I guess i won't even know either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok, i was jjst talking about the reply i got earlier where hat wasnt mentioned my mistake. Can you link it please.
If its looked at then rejected then I will be content, although I guess i won't even know either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242&page=3&p=66766946#post66766946

you are welcome fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

same fam

Lol it was a reply to me.
Damn, sorry christs AT for lwasting your time with the above posts nevermind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was talking about the summer pool.
You said yourself that there is no guarantee of someones application being looked at which is what I mean by considered.
Cherry picked means that when you said a file is organised by letters of names so someone could be missed just for not being in the file.
I seen it in practice(atleast im guessing) when this new FOI came through showing candidates with S1 and 1,1 from trinity being rejected in summerpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colleges know when there are candidates in the Summer Pool with 1,1 as this information is shared in several formats before the Pool opens.

Colleges are under no obligation to consider candidates in the Summer Pool as in most cases they have already filled their places. Candidates in the Summer Pool have missed their offers and the Pool gives them another chance.

Be careful about reading too much into the FoI requests. I'm not sure how they are set out but some candidates who don't get in with S,1 or 1,1 from Trinity will be international students who have had to withdraw for money reasons.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Colleges know when there are candidates in the Summer Pool with 1,1 as this information is shared in several formats before the Pool opens.

Colleges are under no obligation to consider candidates in the Summer Pool as in most cases they have already filled their places. Candidates in the Summer Pool have missed their offers and the Pool gives them another chance.

Be careful about reading too much into the FoI requests. I'm not sure how they are set out but some candidates who don't get in with S,1 or 1,1 from Trinity will be international students who have had to withdraw for money reasons.

Oh wow that is great didn't know it was that thorough.
Ah I see but this FOI had listed candidates who had A levels and those who had declined the offers :/. Anyway I won't look at it too much. Sorry for these questions as I am just so worried about my offer I am just finding out as much stuff as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nikknokk
Hi, I was just wondering, is there any way for a successful applicant who received an offer to learn their interview marks/impressions?
I know it's not that important but it would be interesting to know for curiosity's sake, particularly as it could show the level of a candidate's overall interview technique for the future.

Ask your DoS once you're there.
Original post by nikknokk
Hi, I was just wondering, is there any way for a successful applicant who received an offer to learn their interview marks/impressions?
I know it's not that important but it would be interesting to know for curiosity's sake, particularly as it could show the level of a candidate's overall interview technique for the future.

You can ask your DoS when you arrive and they will sometimes tell you (sometimes they just tell you anyway). Strictly speaking you can obtain them under data protection but we don't encourage this as they are written to help us in our decision making.
Original post by Nathanbh321
I was also considering applying for maths with physics instead.

You'd have to sit STEP then, possibly with higher than standard offers.
Oh wow that is great didn't know it was that thorough.
Ah I see but this FOI had listed candidates who had A levels and those who had declined the offers :/. Anyway I won't look at it too much. Sorry for these questions as I am just so worried about my offer I am just finding out as much stuff as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I understand. If you want to send me the link to the FoI I can take a look at it.
Don't worry, I understand. If you want to send me the link to the FoI I can take a look at it.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/343340/response/842572/attach/3/Ryo%20Kunihiko%20STEP%20data.pdf

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/g100#incoming-842572
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nathanbh321
Hi, so I applied last year to NatSci at Johns doing maths, bio, chem and phys with 97,91,94 and 92% in each respectively but was rejected post pool.
I was thinking of reapplying this year assuming I got 4A*s and an A in AS FM and was just wandering what the typical odds are of reapplicants with simmilar grades are. I was also considering applying for maths with physics instead.
During my gap year would I be advised to do anything academic, I.e. Finish off FM or would going travelling be acceptable as use of my time? Also whether FM might making part of an offer should I apply.
Would you recommend applying to a less competitive college as a reapplicant, perhaps without admissions tests of that's possible?

I don't have stats on the success rates of candidates with 3 or 4 A*s post A Level but impressionistically, I'd say you'd be in a good position, especially if you get very strong A*s.

Finishing FM would be a decent way of using your Gap year especially if you want to do NSP, though travelling is fine too.

All colleges (apart from matures) will be doing the Nat Sci Admissions Assessment so there's no chance of avoiding this. Apply to the college you want to. Christ's is a 'competitive' college and we've taken people who've been rejected from other colleges the previous year (and been glad to rectify their mistake! :smile: ).
スクリーンショット 2016-08-14 12.28.47.png

This graph tells me that none were accepted through summer pool for the previous 4(except 2013) years(For Engineering). Is this because college fill up their places quite quickly due to the popularity of engineering ?

Thanks. The question doesn't allow for financial reasons why a candidate might not have been successful so it is possible that this is why one of the three people in those two years who got 1,1 or better but didn't get in might not have come. I suspect though that they were summer pooled and not taken for other reasons.

Obviously it's difficult to speculate but there are a number of reasons why this might be and what isn't given is the marks - both the 1,1s might have been pretty close to 2,2. I'd be very surprised if they weren't overseas students and, at this stage, some colleges may well feel that they would rather give a break to a home student. There's also the question of how much help they got from their school, what age they are (a low 1,1 from a 21 year old is less impressive than from an 18 year old for instance) and a number of other things to take into consideration. Not least that while STEP is the best indicator we have of success it isn't perfect - I've seen students with 1,1 fail Part 1A.

Latest

Trending

Trending