The Student Room Group

I feel awkward going gym by myself

I started going gym with my weight, I only started 3 weeks and made some good gains but I'm still really week compared to other gym goers
I'm thinking about going gym myself since my friend is an insomniac
Does anyone feel awkward going gym alone
I feel like people will look at me and laugh since I'm a beginner
Once this guy laughed at me cause my friend was teaching me a workout

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ,L,
I started going gym with my weight, I only started 3 weeks and made some good gains but I'm still really week compared to other gym goers

Bossman I have been going gym nearly 2 years now and I am still weak compared to many gym goers :frown:, but its all cool. People at gyms are very friendly despite the stereotype and are always willing to help but sometimes they give bad advice.

Dont feel awkward, everyone is focusing on their own body!
I prefer going alone these days
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thats such a dumb thing to say
most people don't have space/money for a home gym
You get a wide range of equipment and loads of weight at different weights, so you can slowly increase the weight
Plus theres mirrors everywhere so you can see if you're doing the right form
Also you can go as groups and make friends at the gym and meet new people
Plus there's loads of perosnal trainers giving out advice
Yeah its really dumb going to a gym:h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SuperHuman98
Bossman I have been going gym nearly 2 years now and I am still weak compared to many gym goers :frown:, but its all cool. People at gyms are very friendly despite the stereotype and are always willing to help but sometimes they give bad advice.

Dont feel awkward, everyone is focusing on their own body!
I prefer going alone these days

Yeash I agree loads of people are polite at the gym especially the bigger ones
I only rna into one ******* :h:
Going alone is better. You will get your workout done quick. Not only that, your confidence should also boost as your in a place with people. Most people don't really care about you (In a good way). And the people who do judge you, it just shows that they're *****. As you go by your self repeatedly, you'll get used to it.
Reply 5
I used to feel that way too, don't know why. almost everyone at the gym is usually alone themselves yet for some reason i always wanted to go with my friends only (moral support I guess) but once you start going alone and you see its not so bad you just continue to do it. most people are focusing on working out so don't worry no one will bother you or even look in your direction.
Reply 6
Original post by Allie4
I used to feel that way too, don't know why. almost everyone at the gym is usually alone themselves yet for some reason i always wanted to go with my friends only (moral support I guess) but once you start going alone and you see its not so bad you just continue to do it. most people are focusing on working out so don't worry no one will bother you or even look in your direction.

What do you do in the gym and when did you start
Reply 7
Original post by ,L,
What do you do in the gym and when did you start

originally just went there to do cardio and i think i was 19 when i started going. i only started lifting about a year ago when I was 23 and yes i was super insecure about that because i was usually the only girl in that section but i rarely lift anymore and now just go for cardio
Reply 8
Original post by Allie4
originally just went there to do cardio and i think i was 19 when i started going. i only started lifting about a year ago when I was 23 and yes i was super insecure about that because i was usually the only girl in that section but i rarely lift anymore and now just go for cardio

Wow you're old! :tongue:
I'm doing weights, working on chest, shoulders, back, arms and legs
I go alone!! And most people I see at mine are there alone and don't talk to anyone whilst there. There's a real good age range too (from my age which is 16 up to around like 50) so you are not alone in being alone :wink:
Original post by ,L,

Nobody is interested in you really. the gym person who laughed was an immature idiot and most people like beginners because they were one once and we are all their for the same reason of self improvement.

Go with a plan (write it down if needed) so you know what you are meant to be doing rather than wandering around aimlessly.

Its imperative you keep going rather than give up, then you get more used to it and worry less.

Music helps as well, then you kind of zone out.

You cna also go at a quieter time, with fewer around.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Nobody is interested in you really. the gym person who laughed was an immature idiot and most people like beginners because they were one once and we are all their for the same reason of self improvement.

Go with a plan (write it down if needed) so you know what you are meant to be doing rather than wandering around aimlessly.

Its imperative you keep going rather than give up, then you get more used to it and worry less.

Music helps as well, then you kind of zone out.

You cna also go at a quieter time, with fewer around.

aw thank you
I'm actually following a regime my friend follows
I go as much as I can trying to do 5 times a week
Original post by ,L,
aw thank you
I'm actually following a regime my friend follows
I go as much as I can trying to do 5 times a week

Roytine make it automatic and you just do it.
Join MFP if its about weight and there are plenty of gym goers on there who cna give you advice. Try and improve as much as you can.
Lots of people go to the gym on their own mate. You won't be the only one. Just make sure you have a sensible program so you know what you're doing before you go and you won't look like a moron :smile:
Don't feel awkward, I have been to the gym by myself and its not all that bad.
I prefer on my own because then I am not dependent and can just focus or take a reast when I want to. More efficient for me.
Why?
Original post by ,L,
Once this guy laughed at me because my friend was teaching me a workout

Why r u stressed out or feeling awkward ???? If u have enough confidence and attitude I m sure no one will say anything ......if someone makes fun of u talk back and shut their mouths!!!!!:wink::tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by ,L,
Wow you're old! :tongue:

oiii! no rep for you now... :unimpressed:
I go to the gym pretty much every day, usually quite late/early so can't normally convince anyone else to go. It's better I think to go alone as get less distracted and find people normally don't care about what anyone else, try listening to music it helps zone out a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest