The Student Room Group

French mayor bans burkinis

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Onde
The burkini ban is rather blinkered.

If the mayor wanted to defend peaceful, secular values, he should have banned anything that actually encourages violence, e.g. the qur'an.

The problem is that most Muslims have never read the Quran (otherwise they wouldn't wear niqab, hijab, burkini, etc.), banning it wouldn't change anything.
ppl should just wear what they want to wear.They shouldn't ban anything tbh
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
1) Islam is not a race.
2) You are quite literally the perfect example of Muslim arrogance. If the law bans religious clothing, you stick to it. If not, run off to the Middle East. You don't see Arab countries bending the rules for Westerners that live there.

Flying-carpet fallacy.
Original post by tamil fever

What if they wore a t shirt that said: "God Bless Hitler, kill the Jews" ?
Original post by MeYou2Night

lol.why u askin such a hard question?The Burkini did not say anything extreme on it so why ban it?
Reply 265

Even these?

lol.why u askin such a hard question?The Burkini did not say anything extreme on it so why ban it?

You said people can wear what they want? So yes or no to what I asked?

The display of threatening or abusive writing is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress. If you were to wear such a t-shirt, you'd likely be charged for causing a public order offence, but I doubt a burkini or religious clothing in general is likely to have that effect. Of course, if a burkini said something like "All non-Muslims deserve to die/ISIS FTW!", then you might have a case.
Original post by Josb
Even these?

No not the KKK costume.Their costume indicates an extreme group however Burkinis did not symbolise anything extreme.So why ban Burkinis?
You said people can wear what they want? So yes or no to what I asked?

Why don't u answer my question first?Unless you don't have an answer?

Spoiler

So many "go back to where you came from" bigots over here. Newsflash: you cannot live in a free society while wanting to deport anyone with opposing views (especially not to countries that have nothing to do with them). It simply doesn't go both ways.
(edited 7 years ago)
No not the KKK costume.Their costume indicates an extreme group however Burkinis did not symbolise anything extreme.So why ban Burkinis?

Which makes your original statement void. What you presumably meant was "anyone should be allowed to wear what they want as long as it is isn't obviously offensive". So perhaps be a bit clearer in what you mean so that there aren't these kinds of confusions :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Josb
Even these?

Those costumes were designed for the purpose are harming people and spreading fear, how can they be compared to burkinis?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Which makes your original statement void. What you meant was "anyone should be allowed to wear what they want as long as it is isn't obviously offensive". So say what you mean.

"Anyone should be able to wear what they want as long as it isn't obviously offensive AND extreme......"
Are you going to debate with me now about my opinion?:frown:
Original post by WBZ144
Those costumes were designed for the purpose are harming people and spreading fear, how can they be compared to burkinis.

same thing i was asking:smile:
Original post by WBZ144
So many "go back to where you came from" bigots over here. Newsflash: you cannot live in a free society while wanting to deport anyone with opposing views (especially not to countries that have nothing to do with them). It simply doesn't go both ways.

It's interesting to see the same people who complain about the PC culture, the lack of freedom (to offend), and the erosion of civil liberties in nanny-states, endorsing laws that defy their brand of libertarianism.

If you're getting triggered by burkinis at a beach, you should probably stay at home lest you encounter more "extremist" Muslimahs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
It's interesting to see the same people who complain about the PC culture, the lack of freedom (to offend), and the erosion of civil liberties in nanny-states, endorsing laws that defy their brand of libertarianism.

Exactly, they are only champions for free speech when it suits them to be so. The moment anyone says someone says something that offends them, they are just as (if not, more) intolerant as the "PC brigade", "SJWs" and "regressive leftists" who they condemn.
Original post by WBZ144
Exactly, they are only champions for free speech when it suits them to be so. The moment anyone says someone says something that offends them, they are just as (if not, more) intolerant as the "PC brigade", "SJWs" and "regressive leftists" who they condemn.

"We're going to LIBERATE these poor, oppressed women who can't wear what they want by....telling them what not to wear" :rofl:
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
"We're going to LIBERATE these poor, oppressed women who can't wear what they want by....telling them what not to wear" :rofl:

The funniest part is that they supposedly see these women as victims who are forced to dress a certain way by oppressive men, so what is the solution? Punish the "victims" by restricting them even more. What a wonderful idea! I expect to see hijab flying off and Muslim women dancing in bikinis on the streets to celebrate their "liberation" by tomorrow morning. I can hear their cries of joy for their liberators already :rolleyes:

Anyone with an ounce of sense can see that this ban was not for the benefit of these women, it was done to pander to the far-right groups that are currently gaining influence and popularity.
New Charlie Hebdo cover published in response to this ban.

"Muslims, loosen up"

Thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending