The Student Room Group

Medical Lab Assistant Interview Questions

Hi all, I have been invited for an interview for an MLA position with the nhs and was wondering if anyone who has had an MLA interview before could give me a run down in the type of questions they ask. I'm not looking to be spoon fed every single question but just some info on the type of areas they ask questions on. I believe they also ask situational-based questions?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Bump
Hi,

How did the interview go?
Reply 3
Original post by SandyZiggy
Hi,

How did the interview go?

Hi, the interview went well bud sadly didn't get the job. Apparently there were several exceptional candidates. But I got on the reserve list 😊
[QUOTE=SLClegg;66929612]Hi, the interview went well bud sadly didn't get the job. Apparently there were several exceptional candidates. But I got on the reserve list 😊

Ah crap! I hope you will eventually move off the list and land a job :smile:

I've applied numerous times for various positions and still no luck to get invited in, but trying to modify my statement each time, so who knows :smile: waiting to hear back from 6 places now, so fingers crossed :smile: these kind of jobs seem very competitive - as any other job in the market nowadays I guess :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by SandyZiggy
Ah crap! I hope you will eventually move off the list and land a job :smile:

I've applied numerous times for various positions and still no luck to get invited in, but trying to modify my statement each time, so who knows :smile: waiting to hear back from 6 places now, so fingers crossed :smile: these kind of jobs seem very competitive - as any other job in the market nowadays I guess :smile:

Yeah it's so competitive with very qualified candidates applying for what is essentially an entry level job. Don't get disheartened with the personal statement, I've applied for 8 MLA positions and have only been invited for interview once. Only advice is explain as much as possible how you meet both essential and desirable criteria. Literally use the specification headings in your personal statement they seem to prefer that 😊

If you get invited to interview feel free to message me and I'll help you as much as I can 😊
Yeah, I tried using the specification headings in the lot of applications that I have sent just a week ago, so I do hope that I will eventually get an interview. And then I'll worry how to get through it :smile:I'll private message you if get an interview :smile: any help would be MUCH appreciated :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by SLClegg
Yeah it's so competitive with very qualified candidates applying for what is essentially an entry level job. Don't get disheartened with the personal statement, I've applied for 8 MLA positions and have only been invited for interview once. Only advice is explain as much as possible how you meet both essential and desirable criteria. Literally use the specification headings in your personal statement they seem to prefer that 😊

If you get invited to interview feel free to message me and I'll help you as much as I can 😊

Hi :smile:
I have been invited to interview for an mla position in a Microbiology department. I am wondering if you could give me any advice! My plan for the future is to become a Biomedical Scientist. I have done a Biomedical Sciences degree but it is not accredited so I am planning on doing an mla job for a few years whilst doing my top up modules and getting my laboratory registration portfolio which I will be able to do as an mla.

Could you give me any advice for interview? I have worked as a Laboratory Assistant and researcher when at Univerisity and have experience of working in a lab whilst doing my dissertation.

I am going to give my all for this interview!
Thank you for your time!
Original post by orca93
Hi :smile:
I have been invited to interview for an mla position in a Microbiology department. I am wondering if you could give me any advice! My plan for the future is to become a Biomedical Scientist. I have done a Biomedical Sciences degree but it is not accredited so I am planning on doing an mla job for a few years whilst doing my top up modules and getting my laboratory registration portfolio which I will be able to do as an mla.

Could you give me any advice for interview? I have worked as a Laboratory Assistant and researcher when at Univerisity and have experience of working in a lab whilst doing my dissertation.

I am going to give my all for this interview!
Thank you for your time!

They asked me questions about health and safety in the lab (e.g. wearing the appropriate clothes, safety specs, how to clear up spills etc), and what qualities I could bring to the role/lab (give examples from work/uni etc). They also asked me to recite the roles I would be doing (my interview was for haematology).

Good Luck!
Reply 9
I have a MLA interview next week could you or anyone give me a brief on what is asked.?

Thank you
Hello :smile:

I work as a Medical Laboratory Assistant in the Biochemistry department of a lab in the Hampshire region. I've worked in this profession for shortly over six months now, however I remember my interview very well.

My interviewer wanted to know a lot about my interests for the job and why I feel I would be suited for it. You should try and learn some information about the laboratory you are working for to help show you have done some background research. They may ask simple questions about tube types or they may ask about policies.

The final question I was asked in my interview was about the hospital I work for and their 'values' which they feel every member of staff should adhere to and show in their everyday working life. I had to explain how I would encorporate these whilst working with examples of different scenarios.

My advice must not be much help, but if you need more or have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck in your interview too :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jimmyos273
Hello :smile:

I work as a Medical Laboratory Assistant in the Biochemistry department of a lab in the Hampshire region. I've worked in this profession for shortly over six months now, however I remember my interview very well.

My interviewer wanted to know a lot about my interests for the job and why I feel I would be suited for it. You should try and learn some information about the laboratory you are working for to help show you have done some background research. They may ask simple questions about tube types or they may ask about policies.

The final question I was asked in my interview was about the hospital I work for and their 'values' which they feel every member of staff should adhere to and show in their everyday working life. I had to explain how I would encorporate these whilst working with examples of different scenarios.

My advice must not be much help, but if you need more or have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck in your interview too :smile:

Hi jimmyos273, I have an interview for a band 4 position as associate practitioner in microbiology, how similar are these job roles and therefore do you think the interview will be similar?
Original post by SLClegg

Hi I have an interview in Cellular Pathology department, is there any advice you can give me please, I also have to do a simple cellular pathology test, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending