The Student Room Group

Your opinion on Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BriStewart
Hi, I am writing an EPQ on modern feminism and would really appreciate it if you had the time to fill out my survey. It's only 10 questions long. Your answers will remain anonymous. Thankyou so much!

I am all for egalitarianism (equality of all sexes not just women) but I despise
feminism some people use it to gain unnatural power over men
1. some females marry men and then divorce them taking the mans life insurance
and making the man pay alimony leaving her rich and him broke
2. some females abuse men saying you cant hit me I'm a girl as an excuse leaving the man defenceless
3. women complain about the pay gap and then expect to have a maternity leave

where is the logic in that overall feminism is the grunge of society and needs to die
Reply 21
Original post by Gorillion

So should I wolfwhistle her or not? I'm confused. :confused:
Reply 22
Original post by Josb
So should I wolfwhistle her or not? I'm confused. :confused:

Probably safest to do so and then regret it afterwards. That way you've covered both bases.
Reply 23
I hate the label of feminism. I believe in equality of the sexes, and some would say that makes me a feminist. I would say that just makes me a believer in gender equality. I hate how we have to put people in boxes. I also feel like there is a certain sub-section of 'radical' feminists who have given feminism a bad name, making people like myself scared to use the title for the fear of being seen as a bra burning, man hating 'feminazi'. The initial feminism movement was a positive thing, it existed to address the issues in society that oppressed women, which was great. It's the increase of social media and all these new forms of self expression we have today that spreads the darker, pettier, and sometimes more dangerous side to feminism, and highlights how some women have abused a positive force to become something so controversial.
Mainstream feminism is awful. Generally these feminists go by the "sexism = prejudice + power" definition and refuse to acknowledge men's issues (to the point that if someone addresses them even without criticising feminism or being against women's rights they're a "sexist MRA" and not allowed to talk about it). They don't understand why free speech includes anything they deem hate speech and why that's important.

They only pay attention to evidence that suits their agenda and generally have a poor grasp of science/evolution (that applies to most of the population tbf but it's still a problem). They have their priorities severely backwards, they don't pay any attention to people suffering outside of Western society (so don't pay attention to people undergoing most of the severe human rights violations). And most of them refuse to properly debate you - they're so convinced they're right and you're just an "ignorant straight white male" that they usually say just that then block you whenever you bring up an argument.

They think they're just in what they're doing though, that all this will help get equal rights (at least that's what I thought as a feminist a year ago). So they're not bad people, just have very misguided principles. And then there's the feminists who don't do all that dodgy stuff. So feminism's not all bad (just a lot of it :laugh:)
Original post by Gorillion
Is this what they taught you in women's studies? :lol:

This user didn't do WS as a degree
Feminism in the west today is what happens when you've won the war but still dont know it.
Reply 27
It is true that women are discriminated and oppressed in many parts of the world. The discrimination and misogyny should be prevented by law and I think feminism is needed to set the boundary of the discrimination.

I think modern feminists should focus more on stop discouraging girls from studying maths or science

(because girls are taught that they are inherently bad at maths and science-since they are illogical and emotional- even before they start studying and it affects their performance, leading them to not to choose to study science or engineering in the future)

and help victims who have been sexually harassed or experienced domestic violence to report it to police.

I don't know well about the payment gap or how hard it is to continue career after giving a birth to a baby in the UK since I never worked, never had a child and I only lived in the UK for about a year but I guess it is still issue in the UK as well??

Feminism is needed to give opportunities to women to achieve something in life, despite of their physical limit(because reproduction totally depends on women) but I don't think freeing nipples and complaining about catcalling(I don't know if it's sexual harassment? since if it's a cute guy who is catcalling me then I feel flattered) help a lot. And not many people need to study gender studies in undergraduate level, choose other social science or engineering degree if you are thinking about studying gender studies..it's a better way to reduce the discrimination against women..
Why are you posting today? It's Sunday!!
Reply 29
Modern 3rd wave feminism is just a missandrist movement for fat and failing women to blame their failures on men.

If I was going to label myself I would use the term egalitarian.
What even is feminism anymore?

Do you mean 3rd wave tumbler feminism? Do you mean actual feminism? Do you mean egalitarianism? Do you mean emancipation feminism?
Original post by kai-jean
I am all for egalitarianism (equality of all sexes not just women) but I despise
feminism some people use it to gain unnatural power over men
1. some females marry men and then divorce them taking the mans life insurance
and making the man pay alimony leaving her rich and him broke
2. some females abuse men saying you cant hit me I'm a girl as an excuse leaving the man defenceless
3. women complain about the pay gap and then expect to have a maternity leave

where is the logic in that overall feminism is the grunge of society and needs to die

You are not in any way, an "egalitarian".

People like you just use that term to justify strong anti-feminism, borderline misogynsitic ideologies.

It's the equivalent of saying "I'm not a racist but"... Or "I can say this [generic racist comment] because I have a friend who is black".

You are not an egalitarian.
Original post by joecphillips
Modern 3rd wave feminism is just a missandrist movement for fat and failing women to blame their failures on men.

If I was going to label myself I would use the term egalitarian.

See above. How can you people lie to yourselves :rofl: You are probably the anti-egalitarian. You are an individualist, a hierarchist, but not an egalitarian.
(edited 7 years ago)
I support the principle of gender equality, which is just what feminism is if you ignore ultra-feminists and SJWs, who prefer to empower women over men rather women as the same as men. I'll be happy to fill in a survey.
Reply 35
Original post by Twinpeaks
See above. How can you people lie to yourselves :rofl: You are probably the anti-egalitarian. You are an individualist, a hierarchist, but not an egalitarian.

Well the problem with that is when feminists want to change the legal system to guilty until proven innocent, when write articles about putting men in camps, say that PIV sex is always rape, say kill all men and ignore countries where women are actually oppressed it suggests that they don't care about equality they want to ***** and moan about their own lives rather than make society fairer.

You may also note that I have stated that it isn't 1st or 2nd wave feminists who actually had something to fight against but 3rd intersectional wave which doesn't care about women it cares about its all about who comes top of its victim pyramid, I didn't hear 1 feminist complain about cologne and I heard them come out to defend to abusers.

How can modern 3rd wave intersectional feminism be about equality when it does not treat people the same?

It also operates on the assumption I am more privileged than the queen, explain how that is?

Maybe you should stop lying to yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nowadays, it's mostly boring, empty whines from boring, empty people.

At least, if the typical university feminist is anything to go by.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
I dislike modern-day feminism, it seems like a bunch of crazed lunatics attacking men (and some women) for ridiculous reasons along with fighting for "free speech" but also arguing against it.The suffragettes were brilliant women though.
Frankly, I find that the ideals of modern feminism are just based on first world problems...

If feminism is the movement that believes that 'women should be equal to men' then I do not agree with feminism.
The very wording implies that men are at a standard that women need to reach (and for even more extreme feminists - a standard that must be overcome)and apparantly the way to reach this standard is to not let their daughters wear dresses or love Cinderella. They think to be equal they need to be doing the same jobs as men and live the same lives as men.

no!

I do think that men and women should be equal.
But Equality does not mean that they are necessarily doing the same jobs or wearing the same clothes or liking the same things. It means both men and women have the oppertunites to live the life they want to live.
I wholeheartedly believe that an uneducated, poor, dress-wearing but happy housewife is equal to the President of America... because they are both human!

Girls should have a chance to go to school, not because they are women, but because they are human and its their right. And they should be able to decide not to study and dedicate their lives to being home-makers not because they are women, but because they are human and its their right.

Everyone should have the same chances and the right to live the life they are content with - because they are people! Regardless of gender, race, religion, age, class etc.
Original post by joecphillips
Well the problem with that is when feminists want to change the legal system to guilty until proven innocent, when write articles about putting men in camps, say that PIV sex is always rape, say kill all men and ignore countries where women are actually oppressed it suggests that they don't care about equality they want to ***** and moan about their own lives rather than make society fairer.

You may also note that I have stated that it isn't 1st or 2nd wave feminists who actually had something to fight against but 3rd intersectional wave which doesn't care about women it cares about its all about who comes top of its victim pyramid, I didn't hear 1 feminist complain about cologne and I heard them come out to defend to abusers.

How can modern 3rd wave intersectional feminism be about equality when it does not treat people the same?

It also operates on the assumption I am more privileged than the queen, explain how that is?

Maybe you should stop lying to yourself.

All you've provided there is anecdote after anecdote. I'm fed up of having to reply with the exact same response to ignorant posts that I always find myself faced with.

I actually cannot be bothered, just look through my post history. You judge an entire social movement by the voices of its extreme minority members. NO different to how people have used the terrorist excuse to hate an entire religion. Or the violent excuse to hate an entire race. Or the 'scrounger' excuse to hate everyone on income support.

Although your avatar makes me suspect you aren't innocent of committing any of those prejudice assumptions.

You have your own agenda, so carry on listening to what you want to hear, and ignore the rest.

I actually make this post daily.

Quick Reply

Latest