The Student Room Group

My course is in Clearing at my preferred uni but I hold an offer from another. Help?

I hold an offer for a degree from a uni - my only offer. My 1st choice rejected me. Now my 1st choice is in clearing. The reason I would prefer my 1st choice is financial (location) - it would save me £1000's and as a mature student my finances are a big factor. If my 1st choice say no again then that's fine because I have an unconditional elsewhere and I will make the best of it, but it would make my life a lot easier to go to my 1st choice and since they have places...I want to try.

I don't want to reject my unconditional offer just to try my luck in clearing with my preferred uni because if my 1st choice rejects me (again) I will have nothing and that is not an option at all.

So my questions are:

Do I HAVE to reject my offer in order to approach a clearing uni?

Can I call my preferred uni tomorrow rather than on Thurs 18th when the A-levels come out (since I know my grades already and I know that the unis is in clearing)?
Original post by KatieBlogger
I hold an offer for a degree from a uni - my only offer. My 1st choice rejected me. Now my 1st choice is in clearing. The reason I would prefer my 1st choice is financial (location) - it would save me £1000's and as a mature student my finances are a big factor. If my 1st choice say no again then that's fine because I have an unconditional elsewhere and I will make the best of it, but it would make my life a lot easier to go to my 1st choice and since they have places...I want to try.

I don't want to reject my unconditional offer just to try my luck in clearing with my preferred uni because if my 1st choice rejects me (again) I will have nothing and that is not an option at all.

So my questions are:

Can I call my preferred uni tomorrow rather than on Thurs 18th when the A-levels come out (since I know my grades already and I know that the unis is in clearing)?

You cannot approach a university without a Clearing number, which you cannot have whilst still holding an offer, but since you have been rejected by them already, you would be throwing away an offer for nothing. They will not be interested in you.

So my questions are:

Just to clarify are you applying to somewhere that's already rejected you? If so its not worth the risk of trying as yes you d have to reject your unconditional and universities officially shouldn't talk to you without a clearing number and if your circumstances haven't changed then there's nothing to say they ll accept you.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You cannot approach a university without a Clearing number, which you cannot have whilst still holding an offer, but since you have been rejected by them already, you would be throwing away an offer for nothing. They will not be interested in you.

Beat me to it:tongue:
Original post by claireestelle
Beat me to it:tongue:

Happens all the time.:wink:
Happens all the time.:wink:

No harm there,strength in numbers and all :wink:
No harm there,strength in numbers and all :wink:

Team Snowflake.:wink:

Sorry, but I don't think that you can say that with any certainty at all. I was rejected almost immediately after applying last Sept whilst I was studying for an access course and before I received my access course results. I was predicted a pass grade. I was awarded a distinction with the highest grade on the course. My 1st choice rejected me because they didn't think I was academically strong enough (I've proven that I am) and because they didn't think I had enough work experience - in August last year I secured a full time job in the field (so I had around 3 weeks experience when I applied to uni) and I've now got a year in industry.

Just to clarify are you applying to somewhere that's already rejected you?
Yes.

If so its not worth the risk of trying as yes you d have to reject your unconditional and universities officially shouldn't talk to you without a clearing number and if your circumstances haven't changed then there's nothing to say they ll accept you.
Do you know if the 'clearing number' pre-requisite is a new protocol (new as in ''in the past 10 years"?).
Sorry, but I don't think that you can say that with any certainty at all. I was rejected almost immediately after applying last Sept whilst I was studying for an access course and before I received my access course results. I was predicted a pass grade. I was awarded a distinction with the highest grade on the course. My 1st choice rejected me because they didn't think I was academically strong enough (I've proven that I am) and because they didn't think I had enough work experience - in August last year I secured a full time job in the field (so I had around 3 weeks experience when I applied to uni) and I've now got a year in industry.

The clearing number has been around for years. If something has changed in your application then it's your choice if you wanted to risk going into clearing but it's a big one as your unconditional won't care to rush to put you in it, (they can take hours or worse if they wanted to, time you don't have in clearing) so question is, is this university so important to you that you ll wait a year to go if you miss out on a place as a result.

Yes.

Do you know if the 'clearing number' pre-requisite is a new protocol (new as in ''in the past 10 years"?).

I'm afraid experience has taught me that yes, I can say that, but you seem as if you want to try it, so do so with your eyes open. If the university had thought you were what they were looking for then they would have taken a chance on giving you a conditional above what you were predicted to get, with little risk to themselves. However, you have my best wishes in giving it a go, provided you are aware of the risk you are taking.

The Clearing number has been a thing since Ucas went electronic. It is what permits all universities to have full access to your application.
I'm afraid experience has taught me that yes, I can say that, but you seem as if you want to try it, so do so with your eyes open. If the university had thought you were what they were looking for then they would have taken a chance on giving you a conditional above what you were predicted to get, with little risk to themselves. However, you have my best wishes in giving it a go, provided you are aware of the risk you are taking.The Clearing number has been a thing since Ucas went electronic. It is what permits all universities to have full access to your application.

I'm almost certain that I won't need it then, since I got into this exact same university via clearing for my 1st degree 6 years ago.

Can I also just point out, and I say this from the most sincere place, I'm quite a bit older than the average TSR user and I have worked in a tough industry for quite a while before this career switch, so I've had my fair share of testing situations. As a result, I consider myself to have a pretty thick skin but I doubt that's the case for a lot of people on this site.

I asked two questions which required 'Yes' or 'No' answers. It didn't require you to pass judgement on whether or not any university would be ''interested'' in an application from me. I think you are completely out of line for the final comment of your initial response to me and if this was an impressionable/delicate 18 year old that small sentence of yours could well have been a fork in the road of a young person's career and ultimately their life.

I think that's something worth reflecting on.

Many thanks.
I'm almost certain that I won't need it then, since I got into this exact same university via clearing for my 1st degree 6 years ago.

Can I also just point out, and I say this from the most sincere place, I'm quite a bit older than the average TSR user and I have worked in a tough industry for quite a while before this career switch, so I've had my fair share of testing situations. As a result, I consider myself to have a pretty thick skin but I doubt that's the case for a lot of people on this site.

I asked two questions which required 'Yes' or 'No' answers. It didn't require you to pass judgement on whether or not any university would be ''interested'' in an application from me. I think you are completely out of line for the final comment of your initial response to me and if this was an impressionable/delicate 18 year old that small sentence of yours could well have been a fork in the road of a young person's career and ultimately their life.

I think that's something worth reflecting on.

Many thanks.

I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression of what I was saying. I'm afraid that sometimes the truth has to be put bluntly to counteract the tendency to believe that wanting something a great deal is enough to make it happen. I've spent many years reflecting on how to explain things to people. It's been my job for decades. I am not going to make this a personal thing, so I will call upon @PQ, who works in university admissions, to explain why the university is unlikely to reconsider their decision. It may be that she will give you the answer you are hoping to get.
I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression of what I was saying. I'm afraid that sometimes the truth has to be put bluntly to counteract the tendency to believe that wanting something a great deal is enough to make it happen. I've spent many years reflecting on how to explain things to people. It's been my job for decades. I am not going to make this a personal thing, so I will call upon @PQ, who works in university admissions, to explain why the university is unlikely to reconsider their decision. It may be that she will give you the answer you are hoping to get.

I'm not "hoping to get" any answer at all from you or anyone else on this website. I asked 2 simple yes or no questions and instead I got your unwanted opinion. I did didn't come here for opinions. Maybe you've been working in this sector a little too long. End thread mods - and please reconsider this person's suitability to advise young people.
Since I am a mod, I will close it at your request.

Latest