Police not recruiting many BME groups

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redleader1
Evidence ?

The Macpherson report.

Timeline: Race and the Met
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Black and other minority ethnics. Why are blacks given special consideration?

Why you asking me for? There's more asians than blacks in the UK, or no?

Diversity is our strength. Diversity is good. Homogeneity is a sin.

Okay m8.

Spoiler

How many apply though? Do we have any stats on that?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its a rhetorical question. Me? Sarcastic? What a preposterous - nay, slanderous! - accusation thou level at me!

Spoiler

With morons like Black Lives Matter calling black officers "traitors" and whatever other garbage they spew, I can't blame BMEs for being reluctant to sign up.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The Macpherson report.

Timeline: Race and the Met

The problem with these reports is that no one ever reads them.

What he concluded is that there was no evidence of racism, but that since it was "obviously" present despite and regardless of any evidence or lack of evidence, it must be diffuse and hidden, which he called "institutional racism".

"Institutional racism" is racism for which there is no evidence.

"Institutional racism" is a conspiracy theory.
Who ****ing cares lol?

I'm White and when I was a kid I told my mama I wanted to join the police and she went ballistic, it's not a job for respectable people, it's a job for goons and wannabe fascists with no GCSE's.
I have read the Macpherson report. Before reading it I believed there was a reasonable case against the police. Reading the Macpherson report, which is intended to crucify the police, showed that the case against the police was ******** on stilts.
Original post by Observatory
"Institutional racism" is a conspiracy theory.

Regardless, this is why fewer poc seek to join the police, which was the original question I responded to.
Regardless, this is why fewer poc seek to join the police, which was the original question I responded to.

I think you are wrong and outlined my own reasons.

People who believe the police are biased against them tend to do things like support Mark Duggan.

But Mark Duggan was a violent, gun-toting criminal, regardless of whether he was shot by police lawfully or justifiably or not. People who side with an armed criminal over the police because he threw his gun away slightly before he was shot are opposed to the law in principle, not specific mechanisms and organisations for enforcing it.
I think you are wrong and outlined my own reasons.

People see the police as racist and won't join because of that. I am not wrong in this. Your opinion has no bearing on facts.
People see the police as racist and won't join because of that. I am not wrong in this. Your opinion has no bearing on facts.

Yes, either that or they simply aren't up to it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
Yes, either that or they simply aren't up to it.

Undoubtedly a factor.

Although, to clarify, 'they' being **** candidates, not poc, bem or whateverthe****.

I see plenty of Asian or Middle Eastern-looking people working in airport security. I don't believe that people see the police as more racist than airport security.

I think this is a rationalisation for many black communities simply seeing themselves as being on the other side of the law and order issue. Blacks are 2.7% of our population but 14% of our prison population. At some point crime becomes so prevalent that people view it as an ordinary part of life and strong repression of it as oppression of the whole community.

Hence people protest in honour of the memory of Mark Duggan, rather than being ashamed to be associated with him.
x

Non sequitur followed by conjecture.

Airport security has nothing to do with my point.
Mark Duggan has nothing to do with my point.

Spoiler

...so potential applicants see these things as problems and don't bother applying. I'm not sure how else I can explain it to you.
I gave reasoned arguments.
Original post by Electrospective
Here's a crazy thought.

Maybe just maybe, not many BME peeps are applying.

And a crazy question to follow up on that crazy statement.

Why does skin colour matter in policing?

Spoiler

Because they have to make this Mickey Mouse quota for eithnic minorities. Stupid really, you can blame the government for that. And yes they should be chosen for skill and merit, not race or gender or anyother liberal bullsnot.
You cannot simultaneously demand affirmative action for non-white police officers and at the same time assume that non-white police officers being judged to have performed poorly or being reprimanded more frequently than white officers is a result of racism.

If you bypass or soften the usual recruitment procedures you will hire worse people on average.

And that was the only thing even close to evidence of police racism you gave.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Lets see, there are less blacks than whites in the Uk, There are less Muslims in the uk than white people (Yes I know muslim and white are not mutually exclusive) there are far less black muslims that want to be police officers in the uk than white people who want to become police officers. so obviously there are more white police officers and probably more black police officers than black muslim officers.

And for jobs like that we should be hiring the most qualified not because they are black or muslim.

If you are offended at me using the word black, grow up.

Aside from the police what baout lack of BME in the football league ?
[QUOTE="Betelgeuse-;66924332"]You are right about the first point, the second not so much. Its important to have different ethnicities in the police, they generally have a better raport with people of same ethnicities (I say generally because there are so many instances of black USA criminals abusing black police calling them uncle toms / sellouts etc)[/QUOTE

I strongly disagree with your reasoning for diversity in a police force. When the public looks at a cop they should only see a uniform and they should be treated as impartially by one uniform as by another. If a particular ethnic groups contact with law enforcement is with a policeman of the same ethnicity the majority of the time, I can see where this rapport you mentioned could begin to influence the way the police interact with a particular group relative to other ethnic groups in the community. This could also result in Mexicans being treated one way, Chinese another, etc.. This can only be a negative for so many reasons.

The whole, " We are stronger through diversity ", thing is a great example of the Progressive Left twisting the language around so many slogans and causes that words are utterly meaningless. It's the emotion that words produce, not the actual definition that becomes important.

Diversity may make a society less boring but there's little chance it will make it stronger. I've heard the reasoning by some that each culture brings it's own talents and strengths and lends them to the whole. In my opinion that's crap. Sounds logical, sure, but I've never seen it in the real world. I've never seen an example of a group made stronger because of it's constituent parts being labeled. IMO, this simply perpetuates stereotypes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending