The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

I really want to go to UEA but currently have an offer from Birkbeck

This will be quite long to read and apologies if it sounds really dramatic but I am just depressed now.

I really wanted to apply to East Anglia for history with a foundation year, but currently I have offers to study Law at Birkbeck as my firm (Hertfordshire as insurance).

My question is will I be able to apply through clearing to UEA even whilst holding an offer?

I really have made many mistakes this year, I am currently a gap year student with no prior money saved for university. The main reason being is that I retook A-level exams - Psychology and Economics ( I currently have a B in A-level English language). Due to extenuating circumstances both last year and unfortunately this year I don't think I performed to the best of my abilities (my target grades are BBB and the course requirements are CCC). The extenuating circumstances were that I suffered heavy domestic violence and constant emotional abuse from my father which rendered me completely unstable and unable to efficiently study for my exams. I understand that people may suggest that me wanting to go to UEA would be seen as just a getaway from my father, and while that is somewhat true to an extent, my main reason is that I feel I can grow better academically at East Anglia and I have researched the subject content of the course that I want to do and am very keen to study it. I feel that it will equip me with necessary skills and open a wide pathway of career options, nevertheless I am quite fond of the subject.

It will be a huge gamble for me if I request that both Birkbeck and Hertfordshire reject me, and at the same time they may even refuse to reject me which adds to my stress.

Also if I do somehow luckily manage to gain an offer from East Anglia I have a bundle of other stress to deal with such as student finance, accommodation and also how to explain to them that I wish to study history with them when on my personal statement it strongly suggests that I wish to study law. Although, I do feel that History would be more beneficial for me to study which could eventually levy me into taking Law as I'm aware that many Lawyers have not actually graduated with a law degree but with a variety of other degrees then undergone a law conversion course.

Sorry for the long post, I've been crying for so long because of all the stress that I'm just so lost and in need of guidance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Iamalwayssad
This will be quite long to read and apologies if it sounds really dramatic but I am just depressed now.

I really wanted to apply to East Anglia for history with a foundation year, but currently I have offers to study Law at Birkbeck as my firm (Hertfordshire as insurance).

My question is will I be able to apply through clearing to UEA even whilst holding an offer?

I really have made many mistakes this year, I am currently a gap year student with no prior money saved for university. The main reason being is that I retook A-level exams - Psychology and Economics ( I currently have a B in A-level English language). Due to extenuating circumstances both last year and unfortunately this year I don't think I performed to the best of my abilities (my target grades are BBB and the course requirements are CCC). The extenuating circumstances were that I suffered heavy domestic violence and constant emotional abuse from my father which rendered me completely unstable and unable to efficiently study for my exams. I understand that people may suggest that me wanting to go to UEA would be seen as just a getaway from my father, and while that is somewhat true to an extent, my main reason is that I feel I can grow better academically at East Anglia and I have researched the subject content of the course that I want to do and am very keen to study it. I feel that it will equip me with necessary skills and open a wide pathway of career options, nevertheless I am quite fond of the subject.

It will be a huge gamble for me if I request that both Birkbeck and Hertfordshire reject me, and at the same time they may even refuse to reject me which adds to my stress.

Also if I do somehow luckily manage to gain an offer from East Anglia I have a bundle of other stress to deal with such as student finance, accommodation and also how to explain to them that I wish to study history with them when on my personal statement it strongly suggests that I wish to study law. Although, I do feel that History would be more beneficial for me to study which could eventually levy me into taking Law as I'm aware that many Lawyers have not actually graduated with a law degree but with a variety of other degrees then undergone a law conversion course.

Sorry for the long post, I've been crying for so long because of all the stress that I'm just so lost and in need of guidance.

Firstly sorry to hear about your situation. Birkbeck and Hertfordshire won't refuse to reject you- its not in their interests to take on students who don't want to be there. However you do need them to release you before you can go into clearing. However before you do, you can email UEA admissions and see how likely it is they will have that course in clearing and whether they will consider you- it says on the website that the entry requirements are CCC 'to include History or a related subject' its up to them whether they offer you any leeway. Students change their mind about courses all the time, its nothing new. They may ask for a new personal statement.

Assuming you were accepted at UEA:
In terms of student finance, assuming you've already applied its just a case of notifying student finance about your change in circumstances. Accomodation wise you can see if UEA have any rooms in halls, however be prepared to go househunting.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
I've seen that they have that course in clearing now (hopefully it will remain in clearing after results day), I'm so stressed out that I will be rejected by them and have no offer this year
I've seen that they have that course in clearing now (hopefully it will remain in clearing after results day), I'm so stressed out that I will be rejected by them and have no offer this year

As I said, admissions should be able to give you a good indication of whether they will be able to consider you or not and if they do reject you, you can apply to other places through clearing.
Thanks, also in terms of finance if I am somehow able to get a place, will I survive without any money saved up? What would I need to do beforehand, I'm quite ignorant in the fact that I have no idea how accomodation works, is there some kind of deposit pay?
Bump
Thanks, also in terms of finance if I am somehow able to get a place, will I survive without any money saved up? What would I need to do beforehand, I'm quite ignorant in the fact that I have no idea how accomodation works, is there some kind of deposit pay?

For UEA halls, no, if you had to go into a private house yes, you'd need to pay maybe £300-400 in deposit to secure a room. You'd also need to buy cutlery, crockery, bedding, towels before you moved to uni and pay for living costs until your student loan came through- this would be 3-5 working days after registration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending