The Student Room Group

What to expect in freshers week

It's about a month now until I start uni, can anyone tell me what freshers is like based on their experiences. I'm not too sure what to expect other than drinking, meeting loads of people and maybe pulling as well. Also I am probably going to go out a lot during freshers, so what are nights out like?
Original post by ADAC1878
It's about a month now until I start uni, can anyone tell me what freshers is like based on their experiences. I'm not too sure what to expect other than drinking, meeting loads of people and maybe pulling as well. Also I am probably going to go out a lot during freshers, so what are nights out like?

You'll probably get to talk to or hang out with 'freshers crew' (or equivalent) from the years above, and they can tell you about what the nights out were like for them, what the nightlife is like on campus and/or in the city as well.

And also check with your university. It may be slightly early for them to have a fixed plan already but you may get some DJs or acts (eg I saw Greg James and Tinchy Strider) and just loads of different themed nights. Some people got really into it and wore toga and animal makeup and stuff but you didn't have to dress up, it just helped when you wanted to talk to people :tongue:

...and don't forget about stuff to do during the day, otherwise you sit there and get really bored. Eg 'speed friending', murder mystery etc.
Reply 2
Freshers week is overrated. Expect to be disappointed if you don't have good flat mates and even if you do, it's literally hitting the clubs and getting pissed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :biggrin:

From the sounds of it, you are someone interested in the side of Freshers that consists of drinking and pulling.

Before I go into that experience I've had, I feel it's important to mention that there is plenty of other opportunities and activities to take part in during university - there are socials during the day and Freshers Fair etc.

My experience of the 'stereotypical' Freshers was going to the SU events every night and spending a lot of money and drinking a lot and so on and so fourth. A lot of people I made friends with/knew went out to the clubs straight after these events but I didn't explore the 'city night life' until a couple of weeks later when it had calmed down a bit. It was fun to take part in the different events that the SU offered.

Hope you enjoy your Freshers! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :biggrin:

From the sounds of it, you are someone interested in the side of Freshers that consists of drinking and pulling.

Before I go into that experience I've had, I feel it's important to mention that there is plenty of other opportunities and activities to take part in during university - there are socials during the day and Freshers Fair etc.

My experience of the 'stereotypical' Freshers was going to the SU events every night and spending a lot of money and drinking a lot and so on and so fourth. A lot of people I made friends with/knew went out to the clubs straight after these events but I didn't explore the 'city night life' until a couple of weeks later when it had calmed down a bit. It was fun to take part in the different events that the SU offered.

Hope you enjoy your Freshers! :smile:

Thanks, hopefully I will and yeah I am interested in the side of freshers involving drinking and pulling (well hopefully anyway) I am hoping to do some other things as well, there's loads of events being advertised by my uni and I may end up doing both the SU events and probably going out in the city too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, hopefully I will and yeah I am interested in that side of freshers, I am hoping to do some other things as well, there's loads of events being advertised by my uni and I may end up doing both the SU events and probably going out in the city too.

Sounds like a good plan. SU events are really good (even if they seem really cheesy) because they are like ice-breaker events to get to know people at your university and also, there are good deals on (normally) at the local clubs in the city of your university and they do a lot of promotions during Freshers week for students, just keep your eye out for whats fun! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest