The Student Room Group

What's freshers like

Can any current uni students tell me what freshers is like or was like for them? I imagine it to be pretty mad but I don't know what to expect tbh aside from the usual things like heavy drinking/pulling and being ill half the time.

Also I don't have too much experience of drinking and going out but I will want to be doing it at uni.
Reply 1
Actually thats a really good question! I've always wondered what it's like, i'm wondering if it's as extreme as it's made out to be on TV and Film?
Reply 2
Original post by samhl
Actually thats a really good question! I've always wondered what it's like, i'm wondering if it's as extreme as it's made out to be on TV and Film?

Yeah I've heard so many different views on it and in films and on TV they make it out to be insane and like some massive drink fuelled orgy. You get films like the Inbetweeners and American Pie that do that.
Reply 3
umm met my flatmates, we made some dinner together 1st night, then freshers reps came round and gathered the block together we all got very drunk then went out. Next day went to the freshers fair with flatmates, then again got drunk in the evening. After that I can't remember much cos i just got drunk every day for 2 weeks basically.
Reply 4
Original post by Jenx301
umm met my flatmates, we made some dinner together 1st night, then freshers reps came round and gathered the block together we all got very drunk then went out. Next day went to the freshers fair with flatmates, then again got drunk in the evening. After that I can't remember much cos i just got drunk every day for 2 weeks basically.

Was yours 2 weeks? Mine's just a week long, I go there on a friday and then about 10 days later on monday I start my course.
Reply 5
Original post by Jenx301
then freshers reps....

It is a well known fact that all freshers reps are gimps. Beware of the gimps.
Reply 6
Original post by Jenx301

So is it mostly fun filled within the first two weeks? Are you expected to do any work or is it just admin?
Reply 7
Original post by ADAC1878
Was yours 2 weeks? Mine's just a week long, I go there on a friday and then about 10 days later on monday I start my course.

Official freshers week was only a week long i think but we just kept going. We hadn't started our courses at this point.

Original post by samhl
So is it mostly fun filled within the first two weeks? Are you expected to do any work or is it just admin?

Yes and no. We had to go pick up student cards and enrol but apart from that we just did fun stuff
Reply 8
Original post by Davalla
It is a well known fact that all freshers reps are gimps. Beware of the gimps.

well mine were nice but thanks for that lovely nugget of info... ?
Overrated*. The icebreaker events are like a forced speed dating event

*apart from the medic events, where they get you so oblivion black out drunk that everything seems fun at the time
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
I made the fatal error of accepting friend requests off fresher reps on facebook, endless flogging of tickets
Reply 11
Original post by ADAC1878
I made the fatal error of accepting friend requests off fresher reps on facebook, endless flogging of tickets

I guess also I just need to wait and see what happens really, I don't know what I'll end up doing, that's the beauty of it really.
Reply 12
Expectation: Lots of orgies, threesomes, beautiful people and you make a lot of friends

Reality: Shite, no friends made and just a lot of vomit everywhere
Freshers for me was really fun. We had our STYC's who took us out every night bar one (we just stayed in and drank) which was from Sunday until Friday. I'm at York so we have the college system and every night my college was out with another one which was really good as we got to mix with everyone, and then on the Saturday there was the freshers fair and then a big festival style event for the whole uni. It's not what the media make it out to be though. There wasn't massive orgies or everyone getting off with everyone but it was still a lot of fun. Only problem was my department who seem to love giving us early starts gave us 3 9am introductory talks during freshers week so I spent a lot of my daytime very tired.

Quick Reply

Latest