The Student Room Group

What's the most funny/ignorant thing someone has said about your ethnicity?

Scroll to see replies

Only white people can be racist.. the most ignorant thing i have heard in a while.
I'm mixed race. (Black and white).

Have lost count of the amount of times I've got "Can you tan?" Seriously.
"Do you dance like they do in the films?"
-I am Egyptian.
Original post by oShahpo
"Do you dance like they do in the films?"
-I am Egyptian.

:lol: I've had people be shocked when they discover I understand Egyptian. "But I thought you spoke arabic"
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

Hahahaha I get that too and I'm not even that dark. I'm actually paler than most white girls who use fake tan :lol:
Original post by Settle
I have kinda olive skin (like mediterranean) but am of scottish & hispanic/latino descent. i still remember, when i was like 6 in scotland, a kid at my school asked me, a pretty much white kid but with (evidently extraordinary) non-translucent skin, why i was "so black". if there is literally anything i am not it's black, but apparently i wasn't transparent enough for glasgow :biggrin:

Ahhh kids.... I lost count of the number of times I got attacked with "paki" when I was in primary school... And I'm not even pakistani
"Do you speak Indian?"

There is no language known as Indian guys. C'mon.
When I lived in Japan for 3 years in the 1990's, I lived in three separate places that were small and people there were not used to seeing foreigners. The children would stare at me, point, and shout "Gaijin". Although Gaijin does mean foreigner, it literally translates as Round Eyed Person. The children's parents would often smile at me, apologetically, and eventually I got used to it. But then the old men in the hotel where we all lived and worked would stop and stare at us too, like we had two heads or something.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

or how they think you can talk Jamaican and refer to you as brother or sister.
yeah i am half Jamaican and get the same thing.

...yes we can tan and burn.
When I went in Cambridge for an interview one student asked me :
-Where are you from ?
-Greece
- Oh greece . Wait why did you choose Cambridge don't you have ancient universities there ... I mean from ancient greeks ?
yesterday two guys on bicycles in a very white area:

"please don't bomb us today"
Original post by Bezoar
Hahah I never understood where dabs even came from, what do they actually mean?

This is the original dab. The man to invent the Dab is called Dee Brown, a basketball player.

It has become mainstream with different versions, but his is the original.

Watch the video here, start from 1:30 to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6J17-Ekrw0
Reply 32
Interesting.

Personally, I must admit I am a bit like those people. Because at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter what country you were born in? Someone's ethnicity is much more interesting than what country it says on their birth certificate.
Original post by inhuman
Interesting.

Personally, I must admit I am a bit like those people. Because at the end of the day, what the hell does it matter what country you were born in? Someone's ethnicity is much more interesting than what country it says on their birth certificate.

PRSOM
"You don't really sound/act black at all..."

You get this from friends and family members, most times just as a passing comment but occasionally it's said to me as though it's a bad thing to speak formally.

Also had one person tell me that my university course (yes, my course) is a "white" course. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.
Original post by Bezoar
:lol: I've had people be shocked when they discover I understand Egyptian. "But I thought you spoke arabic"
:lolwut:

Spoiler

I've been interested in learning Coptic for a while.
PhD student taking my undergrad seminar: So should I presume you're Indian, then?
Me: I don't think you should presume anything about me! :mad:

There was also the time I got stopped at Barbican tube station. For carrying a violin case. Coz clearly they've never seen anyone carry a violin case through that station before :rolleyes:

The most infuriating thing about that time was that the guy just made the accusation but didn't bother to carry out proper stop-and-search checks. If they genuinely thought it was a bomb, surely they should have checked it? :dontknow:

:bhangra:
I remember when I was in sixth form and I was sitting at the table in the canteen next to this girl and another girl opposite me who was in the year below me. The girl smiled at me and asked me if I was okay so she knew I was there.

There was this teacher who stood near me. She was tall and beautiful and looked like a model. So the girl sitting next to me said "OMG that lady is so beautiful. And she is Nigerian and I am shocked."
So paused for a second and said "Because Nigerians don't tend to have nice noses and she does"

My face was like :redface: because I am Nigerian lmao. I didn't say anything to her because she obviously didn't think I was (Most people don't) So I just ignored it.
Original post by Tootles
:lolwut:

Spoiler

I've been interested in learning Coptic for a while.

Haha, the whole point is that others looked stupid when they said "you don't speak Egyptian, you speak Arabic"

Egyptian is just another one of the many dialects of Arabic... But for some reason a lot of people seem to think they still speak in hieroglyphics
Original post by Zziwa
"You don't really sound/act black at all..."

You get this from friends and family members, most times just as a passing comment but occasionally it's said to me as though it's a bad thing to speak formally.

Also had one person tell me that my university course (yes, my course) is a "white" course. Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Oh dear. Yeah I get quite a lot of stick for my accent too. I'm from a city in Yorkshire but I have quite a neutral accent - others have called me "coconut" and "posh". I once got into trouble for not knowing what a TEP is, which doesn't even make sense considering I'm not even Pakistani! Apparently not being white means I have to be fluent in all things asian :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending