The Student Room Group

I need help!!

I got a C in my IGCSE English language even though I got an A in English Literature . The rest of my grades are pretty good , As and Bs and some A*s , and thats why i was very disappointed and confused to find out that i got a C .

I want to study medicine later on and Ive been looking into Medical schools and most of them require at least a B in English to be able to apply . I was thinking of doing a resit or remarking it ( depending on how far off i was when i get the raw marks back) but most of the unis also say they do not allow resits and want all marks to be achieved on the first try. I am starting to get really nervous and can barely get any sleep . Im starting to think im not smart enough to do medicine. I need support and reassurance quick . Please tell me i still have a chance. I cant believe something i did when i was 16 will impact what unis think of my english skills in two years time. ahhh :frown:
Original post by sourmouth2000
I got a C in my IGCSE English language even though I got an A in English Literature . The rest of my grades are pretty good , As and Bs and some A*s , and thats why i was very disappointed and confused to find out that i got a C .

I want to study medicine later on and Ive been looking into Medical schools and most of them require at least a B in English to be able to apply . I was thinking of doing a resit or remarking it ( depending on how far off i was when i get the raw marks back) but most of the unis also say they do not allow resits and want all marks to be achieved on the first try. I am starting to get really nervous and can barely get any sleep . Im starting to think im not smart enough to do medicine. I need support and reassurance quick . Please tell me i still have a chance. I cant believe something i did when i was 16 will impact what unis think of my english skills in two years time. ahhh :frown:

When did you do this exam? If it wasn't this exam season, it'll be too late to remark I'm afraid.

Some Med Schools require a B in English Language OR Literature - it'll be best to email Med schools and ask. Otherwise, you could retake but you're right that not all will accept them. You'll need to avoid those Medical Schools when applying.*

A C grade has no indication of how smart you are or not to study Medicine.*
I hear sport science take Cs in English Language?

But seriously, stop panicking. If they won't accept a resit, and they won't accept a C, there's nothing you can do now. It's normal to panic about something like this but ask yourself, what can you do about it? If the answer is nothing, then you need to work out what you want to do instead of Medicine.
Original post by usycool1
When did you do this exam? If it wasn't this exam season, it'll be too late to remark I'm afraid.

Some Med Schools require a B in English Language OR Literature - it'll be best to email Med schools and ask. Otherwise, you could retake but you're right that not all will accept them. You'll need to avoid those Medical Schools when applying.*

A C grade has no indication of how smart you are or not to study Medicine.*

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Im just freaking out right now. This mark was from this exam season but i just cant believe i got a C and i was predicted an A and even got an A in literature even when i was struggling with Lit more than language
Original post by Donkey******
I hear sport science take Cs in English Language?

But seriously, stop panicking. If they won't accept a resit, and they won't accept a C, there's nothing you can do now. It's normal to panic about something like this but ask yourself, what can you do about it? If the answer is nothing, then you need to work out what you want to do instead of Medicine.

Do you really think ill have to reconsider what i want to do in life ? ive wanted to medicine for as long as i can remember and i cant believe this C will change that. I dont know what else i want to do . now im really nervous
Do you really think ill have to reconsider what i want to do in life ? ive wanted to medicine for as long as i can remember and i cant believe this C will change that. I dont know what else i want to do . now im really nervous

If med schools won't take the C, and won't accept a resit, then yes obviously you will have to. You need to send some emails and put the feelers out, but send the emails to some of your lower choices, if the general consensus is the C rules you out, then you need to work out what you want to do.
It's not the end of the world, there's always post grad medicine, you can get back on track.
If you're serious about Med School and you're confident you were a couple marks off a B, you should get a remark.

Or maybe you could repeat the exam?

It'll be expensive, but it'll be worth it if you really want to get into Med School.

unfortunately very very few medical schools will accept a C in english language, few other degrees at top universities will either, most require at least a B for medicine unfortunately.
Original post by Natalierm2707
unfortunately very very few medical schools will accept a C in english language, few other degrees at top universities will either, most require at least a B for medicine unfortunately.

Actually there are loads of medical schools that would accept me. There are a few in UK and ,as I am not looking to study in the UK , most of the medical schools in Europe also do not care much about your GCSE grades at all but care for the grade you get in their entrance exam.
I asked for support and reassurance and I didnt get that at all from you, i spent days worrying about this and you commented vaguely basically telling me i stood no chance. I was raised to be optimistic and i think thats what will make me a good doctor.
Actually there are loads of medical schools that would accept me. There are a few in UK and ,as I am not looking to study in the UK , most of the medical schools in Europe also do not care much about your GCSE grades at all but care for the grade you get in their entrance exam.
I asked for support and reassurance and I didnt get that at all from you, i spent days worrying about this and you commented vaguely basically telling me i stood no chance. I was raised to be optimistic and i think thats what will make me a good doctor.

There we go, you answered your own question because you went and did some research.
If you had said you weren't planning to study in the UK the advice may have been different, I'm sure the Nigerian School of Medical Excellence is just as good as many of the UK's universities.

But seriously, well done for still pursuing your dream :bl:

Next time do your own research instead of crying about it telling other people to help...
Original post by Mrs House
Next time do your own research instead of crying about it telling other people to help...

i got this information from another student forum that i posted this on . These kind of websites are here so that people can seek help and post their worries so that others that have information and have experienced the same thing, first hand, can help and support them .
I wasnt trying to be rude , I just replied to share the information i got from other people so that others who are also experiencing the same thing as i am can read this and know that there are other options. I never said anything offensive , I just said that her comment wasnt helpful in my situation because it only made me feel worse .

You should have made clear you were looking to study in europe because of course then my answer would have been different!
Support and reassurance is not what I am going to give if it means lying to you and giving you false hope, I believe honesty is the best policy, its so much better to know what your up against then go into the application process naive.

The issue I have here is I did not have to help you at all, but because I am kind and want to help as many people as possible I replied to you and answered your question, you could (like you have done now) have gone away and found the answers elsewhere! You would have a very very hard time in the UK with GCSE grades which are a little weak, because often the minimum requirements are just not good enough for an interview, but I never said you stood no chance at all, I just told you to do your research and be very careful.

Optimism is very important but with the application process you also need some realism, I am not going to tell someone who has weaker GCSEs in comparison to most candidates that they will have it easy as its not true, and often being realistic means you apply smart.

Dont shoot the messenger, if you dont like what you hear then why bother asking.
i got this information from another student forum that i posted this on . These kind of websites are here so that people can seek help and post their worries so that others that have information and have experienced the same thing, first hand, can help and support them .
I wasnt trying to be rude , I just replied to share the information i got from other people so that others who are also experiencing the same thing as i am can read this and know that there are other options. I never said anything offensive , I just said that her comment wasnt helpful in my situation because it only made me feel worse .

You shouldnt let it get to you, if you would have said you were willing to go into europe then of course the answer would be different.

What you have to understand is for most of the people on this site europe is not an option straight off the bat, so I rarely suggest it unless I have run out of ideas. I was only being real with you, what did you expect me to say? that every medical school in the UK would be jumping for joy to accept you? of course not because that is a lie, so I was just totally brutally honest with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending